2nds Northern Blues 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two more games until the bye. I'd let him build and be ready after bye

I'd agree.
Bringing him in for 1 game before the bye isn't of much use.

3 quarters of VFL this week, 4 quarters of VFL week after.

Solid block of running during the bye and then tackle the 2nd half of the season in place of Mullett.

7m8rCxx.png

vS8U2li.png

How does Polson go from dominating his first few games of VFL last year to being a VFL role player in his 2nd year?
Step up in his conditioning program, less sheepdog football, less confidence, less support around him and a different role.

It all adds up.

Thought I'd jump on YouTube and have a look at the neutrally-compiled VFL highlights to get a better idea of how our defensive and midfield options had been performing in the VFL, more specifically Weitering, and wound up finding nothing much ado.

Meanwhile, mostly on the VFL side of things:

- Myers and Penrith regularly caught ball watching

- Blakey's positioning and judgement of the incoming ball is atrocious for someone that has no speed to recover with whatsoever

- Wilson's ability to apply pressure around a stoppage is at least as bad as Graham's

- Phillips completely out of position to cut off the 35m kick into the 50

- At one point Willy created a 3v7 contest from a kickout due to how poorly some players responded to a simple huddle tactic, namely Wilson, Polson and Penrith

- Schumacher makes huge errors by foot under limited pressure or due to trying to kick when no one in the right mind should (i.e. player directly in front of you)

- Keppel and JGM have poor contested ability for their size at this level

- Half the VFL listed players don't really chase (fitness/diet issue?)

- Velissaris was so far away from his nearby opponent while maintaining a corridor zone segment that he got stuck behind the umpire nearly 10 metres off the ball when he tried to react to him receiving a short kick in the middle of the centre square

- Strachan switches off way too early in contests

- Strachan...

- Strachan, again!

- Box Hill forced a simple turnovers around the F50 arc and just ran it up the other end for a goal over the top, continuously; fitness and belief huge issues?

- Strachan.

Another thing to note is that Palmer's forward pressure and work rate seems pretty limited, so I've got no interest in him as an AFL prospect.

From watching those, I'd suggest these are some changes that could be made to the VFL 22 this week (assuming everybody passes their fitness tests):

FB: O'Shea JGM Williamson
HB: McDaid Macreadie Wilson
C: Shaw Polson Mullett
HF: Lamb TDK S.Fisher
FF: Lobbe Kerr McCabe

R: Phillips Silvagni Blakey

Int: Schumacher, Federico, Johnston, Penrith

EMG: Keppel, Pearce, Lynch

Basically, get Strachan, Velissaris, Palmer, Hill and Myers the heck away from the 22 until they are prepared to work seriously on their individual issues with fitness, defensive positioning and tackling pressure.

Get Wilson the heck out of midfield, because he can't impact the contest there and his running capacity is wasted there. Get Blakey the heck in there because his top speed is a joke and he sticks tackles and wins the football in the scrap. Fisher can develop his outside game while rotating into the midfield with Polson, while McCabe can provide outstanding forward pressure and decent composure in front of goal.

Other than that, bring in Johnston to provide more spark in the forward/midfield rotation than what those half-arsed players were, and reward Penrith and Federico for actually attempting to put in a shift while their peers didn't.

I know people call for us to get a standalone VFL team every year, but I think this is the year it finally needs to happen. Some of the VFL players have completely fallen off the wagon, and even the drafting of O'Shea has barely made a dent in that.

IMO, time's up for Preston.

Bertocchi-23-2018.png

McDaid didn't pass his fitness test, but everyone else was on schedule... yay! One of ours to drop out of the squad, possibly Polson.

Five from the bench to survive, here's my tip for a 22:

FB: Mullett JGM Schumacher
HB: Shaw Macreadie Williamson
C: Pearce S.Fisher Garlett
HF: McCabe TDK Palmer
FF: Hill Silvagni Penrith

R: Phillips Graham Wilson

Int: Blakey, Johnston, Lobbe, Keppel

Hopefully Jack gets more midfield time, because I'm not sure there's enough contested ability in that midfield otherwise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this in the NB thread during the week, might be a good read for a few here:

Thought I'd jump on YouTube and have a look at the neutrally-compiled VFL highlights to get a better idea of how our defensive and midfield options had been performing in the VFL, more specifically Weitering, and wound up finding nothing much ado.

Meanwhile, mostly on the VFL side of things:

- Myers and Penrith regularly caught ball watching

- Blakey's positioning and judgement of the incoming ball is atrocious for someone that has no speed to recover with whatsoever

- Wilson's ability to apply pressure around a stoppage is at least as bad as Graham's

- Phillips completely out of position to cut off the 35m kick into the 50

- At one point Willy created a 3v7 contest from a kickout due to how poorly some players responded to a simple huddle tactic, namely Wilson, Polson and Penrith

- Schumacher makes huge errors by foot under limited pressure or due to trying to kick when no one in the right mind should (i.e. player directly in front of you)

- Keppel and JGM have poor contested ability for their size at this level

- Half the VFL listed players don't really chase (fitness/diet issue?)

- Velissaris was so far away from his nearby opponent while maintaining a corridor zone segment that he got stuck behind the umpire nearly 10 metres off the ball when he tried to react to him receiving a short kick in the middle of the centre square

- Strachan switches off way too early in contests

- Strachan...

- Strachan, again!

- Box Hill forced a simple turnovers around the F50 arc and just ran it up the other end for a goal over the top, continuously; fitness and belief huge issues?

- Strachan.

Another thing to note is that Palmer's forward pressure and work rate seems pretty limited, so I've got no interest in him as an AFL prospect.

From watching those, I'd suggest these are some changes that could be made to the VFL 22 this week (assuming everybody passes their fitness tests):

FB: O'Shea JGM Williamson
HB: McDaid Macreadie Wilson
C: Shaw Polson Mullett
HF: Lamb TDK S.Fisher
FF: Lobbe Kerr McCabe

R: Phillips Silvagni Blakey

Int: Schumacher, Federico, Johnston, Penrith

EMG: Keppel, Pearce, Lynch

Basically, get Strachan, Velissaris, Palmer, Hill and Myers the **** away from the 22 until they are prepared to work seriously on their individual issues with fitness, defensive positioning and tackling pressure.

Get Wilson the **** out of midfield, because he can't impact the contest there and his running capacity is wasted there. Get Blakey the **** in there because his top speed is a joke and he sticks tackles and wins the football in the scrap. Fisher can develop his outside game while rotating into the midfield with Polson, while McCabe can provide outstanding forward pressure and decent composure in front of goal.

Other than that, bring in Johnston to provide more spark in the forward/midfield rotation than what those half-arsed players were, and reward Penrith and Federico for actually attempting to put in a shift while their peers didn't.

I know people call for us to get a standalone VFL team every year, but I think this is the year it finally needs to happen. Some of the VFL players have completely fallen off the wagon, and even the drafting of O'Shea has barely made a dent in that.

IMO, time's up for Preston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back