2nds Northern Blues 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see Harry start developing some more mongrel. All of the natural football talent and athleticism in the world but without the mongrel there's only so far he'll develop.

Notice Weitering come back from his VFL stint with more mongeral and aggression. Spoilt a few players in the last few games and really bodylined them and hit them hard and fair enough to put them on the deck. That's new to his game. Hopefully see this with McKay. I think it's there, it's just finding maturity and consistency.

Last edited:
6 marks for tdk
The kid has a lot to work with. I think he is quite advanced for a 1st year tall. I see him as a true footballer, not just a tall kid who has found his way to a football club. Of course he has the pedigree, but his old man was a nearly player. TDK will be better than this.

Nothing much to be excited about this week stat-wise. Just Nicky G doing his usual thing in the VFL.
The good news: no injuries this week.
View attachment 506512
The Northern Blues have a bye next week, followed by a game against Richmond in a fortnight. Hopefully we can get a few of our injured boys back and play well against the tigers, however they're currently top of the vfl ladder so it'll probably go about as well as this one went.

Decent game from Mullet purely looking at those stats.

Would love to see Harry start developing some more mongrel. All of the natural football talent and athleticism in the world but without the mongrel there's only so far he'll develop.

He has shown mongrel...flying the flag and tackling hard...he's laid a few cracking tackles at AFL level earning free kicks.

He just needs to get more aggressive in terms of launching into aerial contests.

Notice Weitering come back from his VFL stink with more mongeral and aggression. Spoilt a few players in the last few games and really bodylined them and hit them hard and fair enough to put them on the deck. That's new to his game. Hopefully see this with McKay. I think it's there, it's just finding maturity and consistency.
Yep weitering looked good on Friday

If anyone saw the game how did Schumacher play? His kicking skills that he showed at the draft combine where he scored the equal highest, if they can be repeated in a game situation would be exactly what we need.

It's another one of those bizarre development (or lack thereof!) stories that seem to be a perpetual drawback for us.

When he arrived late 2016 and through that preseason Cam showed PLENTY. Through the practice games and at the start of the VFL season he was looking like a bonafide mid - a couple of games with possessions in the high 20's. Really making an impact.

Then he got injured

Around the time he came back played in the capitulation against Port and has never showed the same form or promise since

The natural talent was there, he showed what he could do. Why has he gone backwards? Why have we been unable to steadily develop him? These are the types of development failures that keep us in the mire :(

Not good enough by the club sorry
Calm your shit, he's been at the club 3 years and is 20 years old, and was drafted lighter than he is now (which is still the tiny 76 kg).

He has a lot of work to do, and that's fine. What I don't get is why everyone expects improvement to be incremental and linear. People are not graphs, and the supposed stalling in his improvement - I'd disagree that he's gone backwards, possessions aren't the only thing; look who else was in the NB midfield when he was racking them up, far easier to be fourth/fifth fiddle in a decent midfield rather than 2-3 in a poor one - can be attributed to a change in role and a change in KPIs.

He has plenty of time to improve. I mean, it isn't as though we're overstocked in midfielders at the moment.

Calm your shit, he's been at the club 3 years and is 20 years old, and was drafted lighter than he is now (which is still the tiny 76 kg).

He has a lot of work to do, and that's fine. What I don't get is why everyone expects improvement to be incremental and linear. People are not graphs, and the supposed stalling in his improvement - I'd disagree that he's gone backwards, possessions aren't the only thing; .

Not even 2yrs yet & then injured for a fair piece of last year after a promising start.

Agree with the backwards part, he’s obviously been given an alternate role to play & acquitting himself quite well going by the coaches reviews + game voting.

Seems that working hard should not be an issue, which is a great trait to start with.

He has a lot of work to do, and that's fine. What I don't get is why everyone expects improvement to be incremental and linear. People are not graphs, and the supposed stalling in his improvement - I'd disagree that he's gone backwards, possessions aren't the only thing; look who else was in the NB midfield when he was racking them up, far easier to be fourth/fifth fiddle in a decent midfield rather than 2-3 in a poor one - can be attributed to a change in role and a change in KPIs.
Such an on point paragraph. BF users. Tattoo the essence of this paragraph to your brains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone saw the game how did Schumacher play? His kicking skills that he showed at the draft combine where he scored the equal highest, if they can be repeated in a game situation would be exactly what we need.

Yeah I was watching this a bit with schumacher and I didn't think he had a great day by foot. A lot of pinpoint passes that I noticed seemed to fall short.

That said, he looks like a natural user of the ball and previous reports I have seen have been very good so I would put it down just to a bad day, at least based on that small data sample...

Good post . I’ll go with that. He will toughen up don’t worry .

I'm sure he will. Just a little disappointed with his efforts and stats that he gets in the VFL. I know there are those that struggle in the seconds and shine in the firsts but the 'presence' numbers aren't there which implies effort/mongrel may be lacking. It wasn't just this week either as it's been somewhat consistent over his VFL performances.

The potential is clearly there. He's done some nice things at AFL level. And as most know, I've been arguably his biggest fan since well before he was drafted. I'm more anxious than worried.

Anyhow back to footy.

Curnow.
TDK.
Harry.
Kerr.
Ben.

We are looking sweet for tall fwds.

Pick 1 goes to a mid. Nothing can be surer.

Ben Silvagni could be a complete dud. Too much counting ones chickens before they hatch in this post. The only one of those players we know will be a gun forward is Curnow. Zero assurances the others will be long term high standard tall forwards.

wb9ogqa.png

PVAxivE.png

I'm sure he will. Just a little disappointed with his efforts and stats that he gets in the VFL. I know there are those that struggle in the seconds and shine in the firsts but the 'presence' numbers aren't there which implies effort/mongrel may be lacking. It wasn't just this week either as it's been somewhat consistent over his VFL performances.

The potential is clearly there. He's done some nice things at AFL level. And as most know, I've been arguably his biggest fan since well before he was drafted. I'm more anxious than worried.
Let's not forget he's a bottom aged KPP who's yet to complete a pre season..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back