2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked what Deluca brought today. It's always strange playing with a new team but he looks like he reads the game better than most and is proactive in getting things done. I liked a couple of his decisions to bring the ball back into the corridor to share it with teammates either by hand or foot.

Definitely a lot of room for improvement but you can see that he'll be the best midfielder in this side over the second half of the season.

Generally a good performance for three quarters before fading away in the last.

We are constantly playing with a disadvantage having Phillips, Lobbe and TDK in the same side, as well as novices in Silvagni, O'Dwyer and LeBois. Take a ruck out and bring in a some more mature bodies and we'd be getting better results.

Come on Jimmae, that looks suspiciously like pouting. Opinions are free but also open to challenge.

So which trait specifically are you worried about? Closing speed on long leads? Ability to turn and chase runners?
I expanded on my original post.

Fair enough... I'll just get on the phone and see if we can get Graham and Ellard signed up for the pre-season.

The VFL is for 'almost' players. When they step past that, it's instantly recognisable because they just cruise around the field controlling the game.

Stepping beyond that requires a baseline of athletic performance for a given position, so that they can cover a variety of tasks through an AFL match. Goddard has strength, his aerial read, and a powerful (but not inherently precise) kick. He'd be relying on upfield pressure and getting a crack at the high ball coming in.

This is where moneyball-type thinking can fail in the AFL: you need to think more dynamically about other facets of the game, and generate statistical models that highlight this better. It's an issue in soccer right now as well.

At least I'm assuming you want the club to build a list that wins the flag moreso than one that makes the top 4 consistently.

I'd think the majority of KPDs rely on upfield pressure. I think we know already that Weitering is one of those types. Not great when the ball comes in cleanly to a leading forward. Jones is probably our best bet there due to his athleticism. Casboult is more like Goddard but I think Goddard is more fierce attacking ground balls.

Am I talking a generational full back? Not at all. He sits comfortably in that group of 3 (him, Jones and Levi) in terms of taking the monster full forwards. I reckon he gets further up the ground than the other two as well. Might just be a VFL instruction though. Hugh does seem to have a good tank and doesn't blow up out there.

We are constantly playing with a disadvantage having Phillips, Lobbe and TDK in the same side, as well as novices in Silvagni, O'Dwyer and LeBois. Take a ruck out and bring in a some more mature bodies and we'd be getting better results.

TDK is a better option than Phillips and Lobbe in the ruck and up forward. Having to see those two in the forward line at times with Kerr is a bit painful. Lobbe looks done to me, and I actually thought he was offering more than Phillips late last year. We could stand to cut both and bring in another mature aged ruck.

LeBois is a worry, has the pace but not the nous by the looks of it. BSOS needs a lot of time and work as a first year tall.

Yep 3 ruckman in the side and only 1 TDK can play forward relatively effectively
Looked like TDK played a fair chunk in the ruck this leaves our forwardline generally incompetent at ground level with Lobbe and Phillips spending chunks forward .
At the same time I'm watching Fasolo lining up at centre bounces and stoppages around the ground .

TDK is a better option than Phillips and Lobbe in the ruck and up forward. Having to see those two in the forward line at times with Kerr is a bit painful. Lobbe looks done to me, and I actually thought he was offering more than Phillips late last year. We could stand to cut both and bring in another mature aged ruck.

LeBois is a worry, has the pace but not the nous by the looks of it. BSOS needs a lot of time and work as a first year tall.
BSOS had one goal kicked on him today from a free kick which wasn’t there. Defended well is right on track. Beat his man and has done all year. Is right on track.

Silvagni was good today a goal kicked on him with a bullshit free kick. Needs to work on disposal but blanketed his player most of the day. Deluca was tagged still had 20 and his ability to run through space is good. Leave Garlett forward another one of those play people in their positions things lebois was good. Goddard was doing Goddard things

It's hard to believe that a bloke coming over from the west to play his first game for the magoo's gets tagged by the other Selwood.
Still got 20 possessions in a bog so get that inta ya!!
Could Deluca be our best number 1 pick yet.........

Tagged in his first game has gotta mean something.

Either they rated him extremely highly or didn’t give a stuff about the rest

I still can’t believe we get reamed at every level of football by the umpires as a matter of course - that deliberate out of bounds in the last quarter that was paid against us was an absolute disgrace and made no logical sense, umpiring moronics 101.

I still can’t believe we get reamed at every level of football by the umpires as a matter of course - that deliberate out of bounds in the last quarter that was paid against us was an absolute disgrace and made no logical sense, umpiring moronics 101.
We've gotta start cutting off the hot water to the umpires change rooms.
That'll learn em'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough... I'll just get on the phone and see if we can get Graham and Ellard signed up for the pre-season.

The VFL is for 'almost' players. When they step past that, it's instantly recognisable because they just cruise around the field controlling the game.

Stepping beyond that requires a baseline of athletic performance for a given position, so that they can cover a variety of tasks through an AFL match. Goddard has strength, his aerial read, and a powerful (but not inherently precise) kick. He'd be relying on upfield pressure and getting a crack at the high ball coming in.

This is where moneyball-type thinking can fail in the AFL: you need to think more dynamically about other facets of the game, and generate statistical models that highlight this better. It's an issue in soccer right now as well.

At least I'm assuming you want the club to build a list that wins the flag moreso than one that makes the top 4 consistently.

Those two had their chance to prove themselves in our senior side (but couldn't). And, by the way he is playing, I think Goddard deserves a chance, too.

I have no idea why we are playing both Lobbe and Phillips

Impressed with Goddard. Saw him live last year in the reserves whilst at the Saints, and boy did he look shot.
Glad to see he's turning it around.

pGuKlUG.png

UtlUKLH.png

Impressed with Goddard. Saw him live last year in the reserves whilst at the Saints, and boy did he look shot.
Glad to see he's turning it around.

He's much better than he was only a few months ago.

Looks to be a little leaner and seems to be somewhat stronger.
Quicker also to the eye, but that could be wrong.

Very different player to the one in March but that could be due to many a reason.
Anyway, good on him and he does look AFL ready now.

20 x CFC players listed initially.
Lang being thought of to play seniors to replace CC so Dow, Newman & Kennedy to drop out.
Who will be held over?

Like to hear of the continued development from Cottrell, Owies and Schumacher to step up another notch.
Polson midfield and Macreadie to impose himself on a full game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back