NORWOOD EXPANSION

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns are a 20-25 year investment, give it time. If they're successful, I think there'll eventually be a NQ team.

They've been in the AFL for 12 years now, the highest they've ever finished on the ladder was 12th, their two biggest sponsors are a Superannuation company and a small bank.

Theyre dead last in memberships (and it isn't close), too. Full 2022 numbers below:
  1. West Coast 102,897
  2. Richmond 100,792
  3. Collingwood 100,384^
  4. Carlton 88,776^
  5. Essendon 86,001^
  6. Hawthorn 81,494^
  7. Geelong 71,943^
  8. Melbourne 66,484^
  9. Adelaide 63,009
  10. St Kilda 60,172^
  11. Port Adelaide 58,643^
  12. Fremantle 56,105^
  13. Sydney 55,394
  14. Western Bulldogs 50,941^
  15. North Melbourne 50,191^
  16. Brisbane Lions 43,319^
  17. GWS Giants 32,614^
  18. Gold Coast 21,422^
Simply put, they are not successful.

They've been in the AFL for 12 years now, the highest they've ever finished on the ladder was 12th, their two biggest sponsors are a Superannuation company and a small bank.

Theyre dead last in memberships (and it isn't close), too. Full 2022 numbers below:
  1. West Coast 102,897
  2. Richmond 100,792
  3. Collingwood 100,384^
  4. Carlton 88,776^
  5. Essendon 86,001^
  6. Hawthorn 81,494^
  7. Geelong 71,943^
  8. Melbourne 66,484^
  9. Adelaide 63,009
  10. St Kilda 60,172^
  11. Port Adelaide 58,643^
  12. Fremantle 56,105^
  13. Sydney 55,394
  14. Western Bulldogs 50,941^
  15. North Melbourne 50,191^
  16. Brisbane Lions 43,319^
  17. GWS Giants 32,614^
  18. Gold Coast 21,422^
Simply put, they are not successful.

I don't think it is that bad from a membership perspective. With Gold Coast's 2022 numbers, they are ahead two thirds of the competitors in the Queensland market (Dolphins & Cowboys) and behind the Bronco's (of which GWS had more members). - 2023 NRL Membership Tracker » League Unlimited

Considering the market they are operating in (traditionally NRL heartland) I'd argue the membership numbers are positive.

I agree they need to start making finals though and have success on the field.

Oh boy, this is what the AFL needs is another team with similar identity and colours to an existing team. I for one would welcome Subiaco Lions as WA3, Ainslie Tricolours for Canberra’s team and Launceston Blues for the Tassie franchise
Off topic but I reckon the Launceston Blues would have to have the smallest supporter base of any "top line" Tassie club out of the three regions. They literally have hardly any following.
They did have to change nicknames when they came into the old TFL back in the 90s, think they wore a jumper like the NRL Bulldogs and were called the Raiders.
I remember Subi playing Hawthorn in Perth back in the 80s, couldn't tell the two teams apart!!

Off topic but I reckon the Launceston Blues would have to have the smallest supporter base of any "top line" Tassie club out of the three regions. They literally have hardly any following.
They did have to change nicknames when they came into the old TFL back in the 90s, think they wore a jumper like the NRL Bulldogs and were called the Raiders.
I remember Subi playing Hawthorn in Perth back in the 80s, couldn't tell the two teams apart!!
604FAA82-4922-4767-A0F2-2546E02C47A5.jpeg

This is the pic of Launceston’s jumper the TFL sent me along with the other teams info when I was a kid before the internet was a thing.

View attachment 1654122

This is the pic of Launceston’s jumper the TFL sent me along with the other teams info when I was a kid before the internet was a thing.
Yes that's the one. They had to change because of Devonport being called the Blues, ironically Devonport became the Power about 2 years after Launceston joined the statewide league but then I think Launceston ditched the league about a year after that and went back to regional footy.
And resumed wearing the navy blue again.
Wet day in that pic, looks like its against North Hobart.

Would have thought after seeing how great it was watching games at Norwood Oval during Gather round they could have played the WA v SA state game at the venue tomorrow night would have rated alright on a Thursday night on Foxtel or 7 Mate and maybe drawn a few thousand to watch it and create a good atmosphere.

Would have thought after seeing how great it was watching games at Norwood Oval during Gather round they could have played the WA v SA state game at the venue tomorrow night would have rated alright on a Thursday night on Foxtel or 7 Mate and maybe drawn a few thousand to watch it and create a good atmosphere.
Those guys all have jobs, it might not be as easy as you think.

Yes that's the one. They had to change because of Devonport being called the Blues, ironically Devonport became the Power about 2 years after Launceston joined the statewide league but then I think Launceston ditched the league about a year after that and went back to regional footy.
And resumed wearing the navy blue again.
Wet day in that pic, looks like its against North Hobart.

And just to add another layer, Devonport were only the Blues, because Glenorchy were already the Magpies.

Really was a turducken of team nicknames there for a while

If Tasmania implode on this once in a lifetime opportunity - could WA and SA swoop in.

Two more "boutique" team out of both cities. "Perth City" and "East Adelaide/Norwood".

Both teams would easily get bigger crowds than both GWS, Gold Coast and North and give 2 fanatical, footy heartland states 1-2 matches at home each week, plus 2 extra "derby" rivals.

If Tasmania implode on this once in a lifetime opportunity - could WA and SA swoop in.

Two more "boutique" team out of both cities. "Perth City" and "East Adelaide/Norwood".

Both teams would easily get bigger crowds than both GWS, Gold Coast and North and give 2 fanatical, footy heartland states 1-2 matches at home each week, plus 2 extra "derby" rivals.

If Tasmania implode, I don't think there'll be any expansion for a while.

The AFL didn't really want to expand to 19 teams so soon. They were strong armed into it. All of these 20th Team options are all to complement a Tasmanian entry, so without Tasmania, I don't think WA3, SA3, Canberra, or the NT exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tasmania implode, I don't think there'll be any expansion for a while.

The AFL didn't really want to expand to 19 teams so soon. They were strong armed into it. All of these 20th Team options are all to complement a Tasmanian entry, so without Tasmania, I don't think WA3, SA3, Canberra, or the NT exist.
Completely agree. No Tasmania, no team 20. It’s the entry of Tasmania, that enables the acceptance and entry of Team 20.

If there's no Tasmania, then I honestly don't think we'll see team 19 or 20 for a long time. I think they'd try to add another team in Sydney and another in Brisbane and call it a day at 20 teams. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the AFL didn't really have any intention of looking at TAS, ACT, NT, NQ, or NZ for expansion, but Tasmania has forced their hand and if they do go ahead, they'll need a 20th team that isn't NSW3 or QLD3 because they aren't anywhere near ready yet.

As I've said many times before, I hope the AFL doesn't worry about how many teams they should have as a maximum and instead focuses only on how many teams they can support. Given that Tasmania and Canberra are arguably viable, they would be fantastic additions as teams 19 and 20. Perth could always factor in as a 21st or 22nd team if they want another one in WA, no need to rush them into the league when new viable markets are always more exciting imo.

And just to add another layer, Devonport were only the Blues, because Glenorchy were already the Magpies.

Really was a turducken of team nicknames there for a while
And originally in the first incarnation of state league footy in 1986, East Launceston were admitted to the league purely because they played at York Park, despite having only won one premiership back in the 60s.
They were the Demons but wore a different jumper to North Hobart.
About 2 months into the season they had an overnight merger with City South, a club who's nickname was the Redlegs and wore same jumpers as Clarence!
Que: South Launceston Bulldogs!
Following year the coastal clubs come in, as you point out, Devonport changes from Magpies to Blues because of Glenorchy, Cooee are called the Bulldogs but had been wearing a strip since the 70s looking very similar to Hawthorn.
Cooee folds up after 100+ years and rebrands as the Burnie Hawks!
And that whole club was a mess with town politics over the name change, after about 7-8 years they merged with Burnie Tigers and became the Dockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back