NORWOOD EXPANSION

Remove this Banner Ad

not a chance. there isnt enough support for 3 teams. norwood's current membership number i dont think even hit 5k. the support just isnt there, and people arent going to switch over. the old heads already had a vfl team they followed and others would've adopted port or the crows when they came in and continued to support norwood. and younger people just dont care about the sanfl and only support and afl team already.

in fact currently norwood's membership page says 2532 members.

I would support Norwoods application to join the AFL by merging with the Crows and rebranding the Crows to the Norwood Redlegs

This is how it always should have been

About 30 or 40 years too late.

The largest WA and SA clubs probably used to have support bases comparable to the smallest VFL clubs, but most of those people now are either dead or have moved on.
The crows have only been around for 30 years I imagine they would have a decent amount of Norwood supporters weather they would switch from the crows im not sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did the crows application for a license work did it have the support of all sanfl clubs except port Adelaide ?

Basically an AFL side from SA had to be presented for the 1991 season. Port at the time signed an official agreement with the AFL to enter. However the SANFL & the 9 other clubs put an court injunction in place to block Ports move but at the risk of the AFL suing them for restraint of trade.

So as a compromise, the SANFL berthed the Adelaide Crows instead to satisfy the AFL's requirement for an SA based team to enter the AFL in 1991. The 9 other SANFL clubs had no choice but to accept. Port obviously was excluded from the vote with talks to even exclude the club from the SANFL due to their bold move to trump the league.

There is a 0.0% chance that SA will get a 3rd AFL team anytime soon.

Tasmania and Darwin are next in line.
You can't say that with such certainty and then proceed to say that Darwin is next in line.

Anyone who thinks a Darwin AFL team will work has no idea and has likely never really been there. The place is tiny.

Basically an AFL side from SA had to be presented for the 1991 season. Port at the time signed an official agreement with the AFL to enter. However the SANFL & the 9 other clubs put an court injunction in place to block Ports move but at the risk of the AFL suing them for restraint of trade.

So as a compromise, the SANFL berthed the Adelaide Crows instead to satisfy the AFL's requirement for an SA based team to enter the AFL in 1991. The 9 other SANFL clubs had no choice but to accept. Port obviously was excluded from the vote with talks to even exclude the club from the SANFL due to their bold move to trump the league.
Thanks for the information I seem to remember hearing something about a joint Norwood/Glenelg or Stuart bid at some point as well I could be wrong

It would be nice, just for a change, for the media to actually ask the club itself, rather than forge ahead with unfounded rumour. One of the many reasons I detest the media.
Norwood has replied now:

“It’s just an annoying rumour,’’ Redlegs chief executive James Fantasia told News Corp.
“There has certainly been no consortiums or discussions of anything of that nature. There is absolutely no substance there, 100 per cent there isn’t."

Canberra or wa3 would be the next one I wouldn’t be so sure about gws being full time in Sydney they seem to be really struggling for support at the moment
They need to be a full time Sydney team in 2033, it’s the only way to gauge true support levels. If they still struggle after a decade of being in Sydney then the AFL needs to stop trying to expand the game there and leave Sydney permanently as a two team market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back