Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a weird one, and unsure if this is the place for it or no, but what boots is Jake Stringer wearing now? Seems an unfamiliar brand, noticed at the GWS game last week...

Bit of a weird one, and unsure if this is the place for it or no, but what boots is Jake Stringer wearing now? Seems an unfamiliar brand, noticed at the GWS game last week...

EDIT: Just got on his instagram, last picture posted answered my question. Concave. Cheers.

Lest I bring the wrath of the mods down on me for taking the Boyd thread even further o/t, I thought it best I reply here.

The day is not far away when speeches made by Donald Trump will be placed on Youtube and translated into German entitled 'Trump Parody Rants' just like those hilarious Hitler Rants featuring failed StKilda finals.

Oh...they're 'out there, and Adolph isn't taking The Donalds ascent well.

"MAYBE I CAN BECOME AN ANALYST ON CNN OR FOX NEWS"

*Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays*

So true. Larry often has the same befuddled look on his face when he has one of his 'misunderstandings.'

Chris Christie's face was the best part of the primaries.

As good as that was, it was um...trumped by an actual presidential candidate telling the world that he has a big dick today. What a process they have.

So fitting. I truly love the US political system.

Can't see Slater and Gordon being a coaches sponsor this year. Company in major trouble.

Oh, Melbourne supporters are being morons about how "oh Hogan is so good and Boyd is so shit"
My limited research tells me that Hogan was handed to Melbourne in the 2012 Mini Draft for nix, nought, nothing. If someone can provide an alternative explanation I would be happy to hear it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly at the moment there is no way to compare it them. Hogan so far ahead it's ridiculous.
They are not comparable.
Hogan is a true CHF, strong leading, good mark, strong endurance, can crash a pack and can move up the ground to play on a wing.
Boyd is a FF. He plays his best either isolated, where he can beat his man when the ball is kicked on his head or on the lead. Can be the target on a long kick and provide spillage to crumbers even when out of position.
Best to watch how they both get used by their teams. Hogan versus dogs in second match, kept being third or fourth man up in contests where his team mate was in better position and Hpgan came in for the big grab, bringing his opponent with him. This caused multiple defensive spoils, where hogan should have not been in the contest. It was almost Talia style marking. (Recommend to watch the game for his poor efforts).
Boyd waits deep for the ball and when he flies, no one else will be there to spoil and Boyd doesn't allow his man to get hands to the ball at the high point of the marking contest, because his body positioning is better and he is taller.
In any team, Hogan would still be a star but we would still need the deep FF. Personally I would love Hogan but for team structure, Boyd is better for us. A leading Forward would be great for run and gun but for stagnant ball movement, we need Boyd or 2MP.
My biggest issue with Boyd and 2MP are the work rate and endurance. Once the grow their tanks, it's is top 4 time for us.
The leading forward role can be done by Stringer, who might not mark as well as hogan but is much better when the ball is on the ground.

I so hope you are wrong about this. That would mean we could have upped the ante and got him for next to nothing!!!!!!
This is not a new issue for me. Previously, I've tried to figure out what Melbourne actually gave up to get him and I can't find any explanation that he cost them anything. Am happy to be corrected/informed. These 2 paragraphs are the best info i could find, both from Wikipedia:

Mini-draft
As part of their entry concessions, Greater Western Sydney was allocated up to four selections in a mini-draft, which could be used to recruit seventeen-year-olds who would not otherwise be eligible for the that year's national draft. These players could not play senior AFL football until the 2014 season. GWS could not use these draft picks themselves, but could trade them to other clubs prior to either the 2011 or 2012 AFL Drafts. In 2011, Gold Coast and Adelaide negotiated trades with GWS for selections in this draft and selected Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch. The two remaining selections for the 2012 mini-draft were obtained by the Gold Coast (pick No. 1) and Melbourne (pick No. 2). Western Australian youngsters Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan were widely expected to be taken with the two Mini-draft picks.[27]

Pick Player Recruited from League Club
1 Jack Martin Claremont Football Club WAFL Gold Coast
2 Jesse Hogan Claremont Football Club WAFL Melbourne

AFL career
2013–2014: VFL and ongoing back injury
In October 2012, Hogan was acquired by Melbourne with the second selection in the 2012 mini-draft.[12][13] As he was a pre-listed selection, Hogan had to spend the 2013 season playing for Melbourne's VFL affiliated team, the Casey Scorpions. He was, however, given permission by the AFL to play for Melbourne in the 2013 NAB Cup.

This is not a new issue for me. Previously, I've tried to figure out what Melbourne actually gave up to get him and I can't find any explanation that he cost them anything. Am happy to be corrected/informed. These 2 paragraphs are the best info i could find, both from Wikipedia:

Mini-draft
As part of their entry concessions, Greater Western Sydney was allocated up to four selections in a mini-draft, which could be used to recruit seventeen-year-olds who would not otherwise be eligible for the that year's national draft. These players could not play senior AFL football until the 2014 season. GWS could not use these draft picks themselves, but could trade them to other clubs prior to either the 2011 or 2012 AFL Drafts. In 2011, Gold Coast and Adelaide negotiated trades with GWS for selections in this draft and selected Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch. The two remaining selections for the 2012 mini-draft were obtained by the Gold Coast (pick No. 1) and Melbourne (pick No. 2). Western Australian youngsters Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan were widely expected to be taken with the two Mini-draft picks.[27]

Pick Player Recruited from League Club
1 Jack Martin Claremont Football Club WAFL Gold Coast
2 Jesse Hogan Claremont Football Club WAFL Melbourne

AFL career
2013–2014: VFL and ongoing back injury
In October 2012, Hogan was acquired by Melbourne with the second selection in the 2012 mini-draft.[12][13] As he was a pre-listed selection, Hogan had to spend the 2013 season playing for Melbourne's VFL affiliated team, the Casey Scorpions. He was, however, given permission by the AFL to play for Melbourne in the 2013 NAB Cup.
Melbourne traded picks 3 and 13 in the 2012 draft for access to Hogan. Both compensation picks for Scully, I believe.

Melbourne traded picks 3 and 13 in the 2012 draft for access to Hogan. Both compensation picks for Scully, I believe.

We got Macrae for Ward
Melb got Hogan for Scully...

AFL is all about fairness....

This is not a new issue for me. Previously, I've tried to figure out what Melbourne actually gave up to get him and I can't find any explanation that he cost them anything. Am happy to be corrected/informed. These 2 paragraphs are the best info i could find, both from Wikipedia

1b3275ac69.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft

Do we have to bring Hogan bullshit in this thread? I'm so sick of reading it whenever Boyd is mentioned. Who cares about Hogan.
The main board thread about Stringer is my fav, they even have to bring him up there. Finally get a kid who isn't a sack of shit and they'll let you know about it.

Last edited:

We also had the option to trade our picks 5 and 6 ahead of Melbourne's 3 and 13 to get access. We would have received the GWS priority access pick that could have taken Hogan as well as pick 12 in the 2012 draft as change. Only issues being:

- we really wanted Stringer and we weren't convinced he would still be there at pick 12;
- we apparently preferred Jack Martin to Hogan and would have selected him with the priority pick instead.

So our 2012 selections might well have been Jack Martin and someone like Kristian Jaksche instead of Macrae/Stringer :eek:

Hogan or no Hogan we won the 2012 draft by 20 lengths......:cool:

We also had the option to trade our picks 5 and 6 ahead of Melbourne's 3 and 13 to get access. We would have received the GWS priority access pick that could have taken Hogan as well as pick 12 in the 2012 draft as change. Only issues being:

- we really wanted Stringer and we weren't convinced he would still be there at pick 12;
- we apparently preferred Jack Martin to Hogan and would have selected him with the priority pick instead.

So our 2012 selections might well have been Jack Martin and someone like Kristian Jaksche instead of Macrae/Stringer :eek:

Hogan or no Hogan we won the 2012 draft by 20 lengths......:cool:
Martin was taken before the Hogan pick so we wouldn't have had the chance to make that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back