Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how we would have gone against Fremantle, Saints and Melb with Lake, Cross, Higgins and Cooney in the team. You'd have to drop Stevens because he was part of the Lake and probably Biggs too because of the Cooney deal but I'd be ok with them missing. #thursdayafterworkbeer
Maybe better but not so good for team building
#weedramofJamiesons

Sooooo, after 9 rounds we've beaten:

West coast (2nd)
Sydney (3rd)
Gws (5th)
Adelaide (7th)
Richmond (8th)

And were level with freo with 90 seconds to go. This is good.
And I honestly think that we'll beat the Pies (4th) when we get to go up against them. Hawks are the only outlier.

Something that's been annoying me about footy forever, but really stuck out for me on the weekend.

A lot of people rated Grant's game on the weekend as okay, but probably didn't do quite enough.

What happens if he makes two very gettable set shots at goal? All of a sudden he has 16 touches, 3 goals, and his overall impact on the game is judged differently. Even though our complete domination over the opposition meant the game was already over, he's still seen in a different light, and his confidence levels go to a higher level.

In this professional sporting age where AFL clubs have coaches for every line, development coaches, nutritionists, strength trainers, cardio trainers, psychologists etc, there is still very little done about improving set shot goal kicking. Why?

Clubs train for hours a day on their cardio fitness and strength, work on multiple structures. They put it into place on gameday... It's successful! The forward has a shot from 30 metres out directly in front. He misses...

Professional golfers spend hours and hours a day hitting tee shots and making putts. They develop routines and techniques that are repeatable so that they make a high percentage of these shots. How is it that Jarrad Grant is not spending significant time each day practicing his set shot routine and technique?

The two set shots that he took in the last quarter were different, with the same poor result.

His first set shot is from 30 metres out, yet he takes more steps in his approach than the shot that he had from 45 out. He has no set routine.
His weight distribution upon connection is basically opposite in both kicks. The first set shots has his weight leaning away from the target, and he sprays it to the right. The second shot, his body weight is leaning much more forward, and he misses it to the left.

It's the kicking action and process of a forward who doesn't know how to kick. How can a forward in a professional football competition not know how to kick?

At the next match, take note of how many forwards have shots from all angles from 10, 15, 20 metres out. Most head to 40 out and maybe have a crack from 1 or 2 different angles. This is not the way to go in my view. A pro golfer will warm up from 3ft before moving out to longer distances.

I think the Dogs should look to be at the forefront of improving this area of the game. They should work closely with Vic Uni to develop the technology similar to that used in golf – technology that can measure the precise movements of the football based on the many variables – ball drop, strike, strike paths, weight distribution etc. A dedicated goal kicking coach will be able to collect actual data and work with players to improve their numbers and develop routines to create repeatable results. We will turn Grant into a star, we will win multiple flags and other clubs will follow suit!!!

I'm just picking on Grant as an example, could use any number of our forwards to struggle big time in front of the big sticks.

Something that's been annoying me about footy forever, but really stuck out for me on the weekend.

A lot of people rated Grant's game on the weekend as okay, but probably didn't do quite enough.

What happens if he makes two very gettable set shots at goal? All of a sudden he has 16 touches, 3 goals, and his overall impact on the game is judged differently. Even though our complete domination over the opposition meant the game was already over, he's still seen in a different light, and his confidence levels go to a higher level.

In this professional sporting age where AFL clubs have coaches for every line, development coaches, nutritionists, strength trainers, cardio trainers, psychologists etc, there is still very little done about improving set shot goal kicking. Why?

Clubs train for hours a day on their cardio fitness and strength, work on multiple structures. They put it into place on gameday... It's successful! The forward has a shot from 30 metres out directly in front. He misses...

Professional golfers spend hours and hours a day hitting tee shots and making putts. They develop routines and techniques that are repeatable so that they make a high percentage of these shots. How is it that Jarrad Grant is not spending significant time each day practicing his set shot routine and technique?

The two set shots that he took in the last quarter were different, with the same poor result.

His first set shot is from 30 metres out, yet he takes more steps in his approach than the shot that he had from 45 out. He has no set routine.
His weight distribution upon connection is basically opposite in both kicks. The first set shots has his weight leaning away from the target, and he sprays it to the right. The second shot, his body weight is leaning much more forward, and he misses it to the left.

It's the kicking action and process of a forward who doesn't know how to kick. How can a forward in a professional football competition not know how to kick?

At the next match, take note of how many forwards have shots from all angles from 10, 15, 20 metres out. Most head to 40 out and maybe have a crack from 1 or 2 different angles. This is not the way to go in my view. A pro golfer will warm up from 3ft before moving out to longer distances.

I think the Dogs should look to be at the forefront of improving this area of the game. They should work closely with Vic Uni to develop the technology similar to that used in golf – technology that can measure the precise movements of the football based on the many variables – ball drop, strike, strike paths, weight distribution etc. A dedicated goal kicking coach will be able to collect actual data and work with players to improve their numbers and develop routines to create repeatable results. We will turn Grant into a star, we will win multiple flags and other clubs will follow suit!!!

I'm just picking on Grant as an example, could use any number of our forwards to struggle big time in front of the big sticks.
I think he's spending too much time in the gym by the look of him,what a rig.

Great post
Dahl, stringer, grant , Crameri and even Boyd all suspect at set shots
We r lucky to have Dickson who is very good
The others need work and a solid routine

These guys haven't been able to do much to help Grant out either. Clearly too unique a specimen to be trained by normal means!

Anyone else feel the Wallis development story is similar to Jobe Watson's? Watching his forward craft recently has made me think of Cotchin too. Seriously hope he is able to continue his marking and forward work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving the huge statement by north after their worst loss in 5 years. Drop 2 kids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh you underestimate the power of #lolnorf. The one they lost against Adelaide where they were something like 5 goals up with 7 minutes to go would probably top the list.

Last edited:
If he didn't have previous experience with our players I'd love to involve him in the club some way because I think he could add heaps.

Just don't think it would work out with our senior boys. Him and Moz were right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back