Opinion Now is the time for our coaches to step up and show some courage

Remove this Banner Ad

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let me preface this post by saying I have faith in Buckley and the whole CFC. However, it is time for them to show some courage in terms of team selection and team structure. Agree/disagree - this is just my opinion.

Selection table:
I see our team as being very vulnerable as a finals contender.2 weaknesses that can be fixed at the selection table.

1. Midfield grunt: it is becoming clearer each week the season moves on that we are missing Luke ball. As good as beams is and as hard as Blair is, we don't have anyone to go against the likes of even this weeks opponents in kennedy, luke Parker and keiran jack (not to mention Bolton). My solution: it is now or never for josh Thomas. Have some courage and bring in the bloke to see if he is up for the 2012 finals series. Desired result: bring in a kid who will put their head over the ball, relievin beams and pendlebury to use their skills to maximum potential. I'd start him as a sub for the first week, if he competes he gets games for the rest of the season. If this doesn't work- we use him as a tagger and minimise the oppositions grunt. He has speed, strength and when he gets the ball he makes better decisions than young, so besides youngs bigger size (young being my second preferred tagger)- thomas is the superior player.
In: J Thomas
Out: T Young

2. Ball movement: the key to this is Johnson and didak, I think this is pretty much a given. We are falling down coming out of defensive 50 and going inside 50. Adding 2 of our best users of the ball- added to reids improvement each week and the inclusion of J Thomas to allow Beams more freedom, we should see massive improvement.

In: Didak, Johnson
Out: Seedsman, goldsack

Goldsack very stiff but he isn't offering us all that much and hasn't been the headache or opposition coaches he was in the first half in the season. This is courage and making the clutch decisions- there is no time for sentiment.

3. Goal kicking accuracy: this is contradictory to my omission of goldsack as he has been accurate by foot, but his presence in the fwd 50 is almost non existant at the moment and I feel the fwd line is far too clogged up as it is. Dawes and Cloke should be the only forwards allowed to make a lead if contested- I will talk about this in structures. What we need right now are players who are accurate in front of goal- enter didak and krakouer. Krakouer in round 22 and didak this round.

We are desperately missing smalls who can bag goals- Elliot is not performing to the standard he can in such fierce competition and fasolo is steadily improving. Krakouer although offering slightly less pressure than his younger counterparts in Elliot and Sinclair, is the best crumble in the game. He will capitalise in this game where Cloke and Dawes just aren't holding as many marks as they have- but at the same time- they never get out marked, creating opportunities which we should be capitalising on.

In: krakouer
Out: Elliot

4. Defensive accountability: N brown has had a commendable season in his comeback, but he is not the FB we need coming into finals. If Tarrant is fit he takes browns spot, no ifs or buts, brown struggles on good forwards and gives away crucial free kicks when he is out played. There is nothing else we can do in terms of improving our defending of the oppositions 50 in terms of Fwds vs backs.

In: Tarrant
Out: Brown

Desired in/out by round 22:
In: J Thomas, didak, Johnson, Tarrant, krakouer
Out: T Young, P Seedsman, N Brown, T Goldsack, J Elliot

Team round 22-
Fb- maxwell, Tarrant, obrien
Hb- shaw, Reid, Johnson
C- D Thomas, J Thomas, Wellingham
HF- didak, Cloke, beams
Ff- fasolo, Dawes, Krakouer
C- jolly, pendlebury, swan
B- sidebottom, Blair, toovey s: Sinclair

Structure: 2 weaknesses that can be fixed with structure:

1. Marks inside 50: this is not a selection based problem. We know what our players are capable of... Bar the unknown in Elliot an Sinclair. It's the crowding of the 50 that is our problem. Dawes and Cloke actually look stagnant in the fwd line because... They are! Not their fault though, with the likes of at times jolly, fasolo, goldsack, Tarrant playing as leading Fwds, it is too clogged up for Cloke and Dawes to do what they do best and use their aerobic abilities to outrun their opponent and get the opportunities.

2. Rebound 50:

With Johnson back, we use him as our main rebounder. Shaw is an amazing defender and rebounder, he needs to find a good balance between the two because his value as a defender is just as good as a rebounder. Our designated kicker needs to be Reid and whenever we can get it to him between their goal and 50m line is extremely important. Harry does what Harry does when he makes an intercept, but we need to stop using him and especially toovey as rebound options. They are poor kicks (toovey worse than Harry) and both make poor decisions at times.

We need to have the courage to find a team and a structure to win the premiership, which may be what we are doing now hence the down form of late.

Final note: we look tired right now but the biggest upside is that we won a big game on the weekend and it isn't finals yet. A week in footy is huge, 4 weeks is an eternity. Anything can happen and all I can see is upside even if we lose this weekend.

Anyway my two cents if tldr, my main points is that, given our predicament, now is the time before it is too late, to show some initiative and make the big calls.

NB- this all assuming the fitness of the players mentioned.

i really like this, i reckon thats some really good stuff.

is josh thomas that developed though? i thought given all his injury's, he'd be quite raw?

I really like the way you think.

However 2 things.

We can't bring in bj straight away. I love the guy but he is not getting any younger.

Can we bring a debutant against the swans? I say no but would like josh to get a chance against north.Rest Sidey or beams.

Other than that, your thread is a great read and great points.

Agree with most u said there, however no way can didak play anything to do with defence.. his our offensive weapon to kick goals and set up goal assists from half forward.

And no way on josh thomas... bringing him in for the 2012 finals series is a ridiculous and stupid move

Agree with most u said there, however no way can didak play anything to do with defence.. his our offensive weapon to kick goals and set up goal assists from half forward.

And no way on josh thomas... bringing him in for the 2012 finals series is a ridiculous and stupid move

Sorry, should have clarified better - we need Didak for ball movement into the fwd 50 and Johnson for ball movement from defensive 50. I would not like him in the back half at all.

I mention Josh, especially for the Swans game because we will get to see if he can play finals football. We are going to be forced to either go in with 1 or 2 raw players and Seedsman, Young, Sinclair and Elliot don't look up for finals football. Sinclair is the closest to matching the intensity, but the others haven't shown much. I know JT hasn't shown anything at senior level, but I would like to see him as sub this weekend to see how he goes.

I think we will fail dismally if we cannot find a guy who can smash his head against Sewell, Selwood, Kennedy, Kerr, Thompson - even GWS went much harder at the ball and it made me embarressed.

If Didak, Johnson, Krak and Tarrant are all fit enough to get through a game, and more importantly a final, I have no doubt that they will be played, and frankly it doesn't take that much courage to play seasoned performers like these.

JT on the other hand is a ridiculous call, there is no way he is ready for AFL level yet, let alone finals.

If Didak, Johnson, Krak and Tarrant are all fit enough to get through a game, and more importantly a final, I have no doubt that they will be played, and frankly it doesn't take that much courage to play seasoned performers like these.

JT on the other hand is a ridiculous call, there is no way he is ready for AFL level yet, let alone finals.
And how will we know if he is never given the chance?

Coaches have been prepared to back players in on form all year, what 8 - 9 debutantes, that's a fantastic show of confidence in the young players on the list.Sure, injuries forced their hand somewhat but instead of going with the same handful of depth, second and third year fringe players, the club has rewarded form.

Dids is ready to return by the sound of it. Krak, BJ and Caff on the other hand, have got to be given time to build confidence and match fitness and if either get a call up before the last round I will be shocked.

J Thomas just needs to be given time to continue his way back from the perennial horror run of injuries stretching back a couple of years. His quest now is to string half a season of improving and good football together to set himself up for a real crack next year.

I'd be delighted to see Paine get another game given the Goldsack injury, think he has earned it. I would be happy to see Ceglar break through for his first game too, his form has been sound in the VFL and he has upside over Wood.

After seeing the VFL footage of Krak he is moving like he never missed a beat and would be a real chance in another week or 2 one would think, he was twisting pivoting and really tested that knee out looked very good and is a class above VFL.

As for JT he needs to show he can get through the rest of the VFL year with good form or he may be gone due to too many injuries, hope not but it is a realistic view point.

He will be, in 2013 though.

He's valued at the club, was in the best again in the VFL and is now starting to put together some solid form. As long as he see's the final month out without injury he'll go around again and be given ample opportunities!

FWIW I think you raise some good points overall!

He will be, in 2013 though.

He's valued at the club, was in the best again in the VFL and is now starting to put together some solid form. As long as he see's the final month out without injury he'll go around again and be given ample opportunities!

FWIW I think you raise some good points overall!

I completely understand and in honesty I don't expect JT to be given a chance, but I do believe he should be... I hope that came through in my post.

Thanks for the input.

I doubt JT would have the fitness to run out a full game in the middle yet. Dale Thomas for me is the one we need more in the middle. I don't think we are lacking hardness at all, more so the penetration when we win the thing. We are handballing sideways and backwards to much and it's backing us into corners.

Daisy at his best runs forward and kicks more than he handballs. Benny Johnson is another sorely missed on the same topic.

Coaches have been prepared to back players in on form all year, what 8 - 9 debutantes, that's a fantastic show of confidence in the young players on the list.Sure, injuries forced their hand somewhat but instead of going with the same handful of depth, second and third year fringe players, the club has rewarded form.

Dids is ready to return by the sound of it. Krak, BJ and Caff on the other hand, have got to be given time to build confidence and match fitness and if either get a call up before the last round I will be shocked.

J Thomas just needs to be given time to continue his way back from the perennial horror run of injuries stretching back a couple of years. His quest now is to string half a season of improving and good football together to set himself up for a real crack next year.

I'd be delighted to see Paine get another game given the Goldsack injury, think he has earned it. I would be happy to see Ceglar break through for his first game too, his form has been sound in the VFL and he has upside over Wood.

I agree with your post – and let’s not forget that the debut of Marley Williams and Jamie Elliot came at a time we were in a poor state and were up against the most in form team in Adelaide. Not only did Jamie have impact as the sub, Marley played a role for us that made our team better – then Jamie, in the next couple of rounds, was an extremely influential figure in our win against West Coast. That was courage and it paid off – we simply identified a weakness (through injury or form) and filled it with an in form player. My thoughts were trialling this with JT.

On form, Paine and Ceglar should get a call up, but the reason I didn’t mention them is that I don’t think they would strengthen our team. Paine would clog up out forward line and Ceglar, although a far superior ruck than Dawes, would once again be clogging up the forward line if he were to replace Goldsack this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying he should never be given a chance, just not this year. His challenge at the moment is to just string a few games together in the VFL without getting injured, then hopefully have a full and uninterupted preseason next year and then we can look at giving him a go in the AFL.

I'm not saying he should never be given a chance, just not this year. His challenge at the moment is to just string a few games together in the VFL without getting injured, then hopefully have a full and uninterupted preseason next year and then we can look at giving him a go in the AFL.

That is a fair point.

I completely understand and in honesty I don't expect JT to be given a chance, but I do believe he should be... I hope that came through in my post.

Thanks for the input.
Perhaps the reason you and Scodog 10 are so pleasant and understanding with each other, even in disagreement, is the number 10 you have in common!

Thanks for the input.

It did :thumbsu:

Our midfield is seriously lacking a defensive type. Ball was good for 5-6 clearance situation tackles per game whereas every other midfielder currently in our best 22 runs offensive patterns at stoppages. It means we can get exposed to quick/ clean clearances if we don't get it right. One of JT's strengths is his in close tackling so I can see how it could be an asset, however he's left his run 4-6 weeks too late for 2012...

It seemed like Young was tried in that defensive stoppage role in the 4th quarter on Saturday night because the Saints got it out of the centre far too easily in the 3rd quarter, but I don't think it worked all that well. I think with Ball out Wellingham would be best suited to that position except he probably hasn't got the tank to play a full game in the midfield unfortunately

With swan out for 2 weeks, maybe it could just come true!

Agreed young was tried for that but he just didn't look great did he? Wellingham could definitely play defensive role too, at the expense of his wingman and fwd type abilities. Which would be more beneficial? I don't know, probably more your idea. But this is what I mean, the coaches need to make these calls now.

OP, but neither Johnson, nor Didak, nor Krak are available/ready to play in the firsts now. Of the three, Didak is the closest.

Krak and Didak to come in for NM. BJ by finals maybe if he is fit because I rate him highly. Tarrant just has to play for versatility if fit. Goldy may be an option as a sub because he can play at either end.

OP, but neither Johnson, nor Didak, nor Krak are available/ready to play in the firsts now. Of the three, Didak is the closest.
Yep, Didak is the only one able to go right now. I did, however, say I'd like the changes to be made by round 22. This will give Johnson 2 weeks in VFL (his fitness will still be good because he would have been riding for the whole time and running the last 5-6 weeks) and give Krakouer another 2 weeks match fitness to then come in as sub or to sub off.

The Josh Thomas ain't that bad an idea. Heard he was rated above all the young guys they have introduced this year. Remember a bloke named Jarryd Blair, what he achieved with little done previously.

Be careful what you wish for ...

Suspending our club legend for two matches is pretty "courageous".

Haha yeh really shot myself in the foot!! How can they fine buddy $1000 for blatantly breaking the law and endangering life, yet we suspend swan for 2 games. I don't know who is more wrong but either way the consistency of the afl and clubs in general is a joke.

It's to late to make huge changes imo, they just have to have faith in what they're working in on and hope for a couple of guys to return, put games together and field a really consistent line up before finals.

I really do think we need to end the Wellingham on the forward flank experiment. His best position is in the midfield, he is probably in the best shape of his career and is probably best fitted to fill in the role of Luke Ball - something we've clearly missed.

Also given that Didak, Johnson and Krak have all had interrupted seasons, and that we already probably have to many young guys in our first 22 we can't really afford to take more risks on unknown quantities like Thomas.

What the coaching staff really need to do is watch the Geelong Hawthorn game on the weekend and see how they completely owned Hawthorns defence and especially Gibson. Then it has to occur to them that perhaps one of the reasons our forward line has performed so poorly this season is because unlike Geelong who target leads, we for the most part kick to packs which makes it easier to defend, harder to score.

also need to do something about defending kick out which has just been a disaster this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back