Number 43 - Roger Hayden

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't let little Roger's thread stay empty for too long. One of the classiest players to ever pull on the purple and IMO one of the very best.

I'm used to Freo having a low profile over east but it still annoys me how criminally underrated Roger is by the AFL media.

hayden246x316a.jpg

• Banned
A bit of Freo folklore for those that feel like a read - thank God that the Genius had a good game that night.

http://www.australianrules.com.au/2002stories/hayden.html

Connolly's bold derby call
by LES EVERETT

FREMANTLE coach Chris Connolly said something interesting at the press conference after his team's derby win over West Coast.

Connolly gave second game player Roger Hayden the task of marking dangerous Eagle Phil Matera on Saturday night and told him his career was over if he didn't play well.

Hayden responded with a calm and effective performance which added to the overall defensive effort and limited Matera's impact on the game to virtually nil.

It was risky business from the coach.

The younger Matera has often been a worry for the Dockers and usually commands the attention of a senior defender - Shane Parker is often a candidate. However the size of the West Coast forward line meant Parker couldn't be a small defender on the weekend, he had to don the high heels and play tall.

So Connolly banked on Hayden and it worked. Matera didn't have a kick until the last quarter.

Hayden was elevated from Fremantle's rookie list a couple of weeks ago after a run of good form for South Fremantle. Three years ago he played in the Sunday Football Football League grand final for Gosnells.

The Eagles began the game looking very good with David Wirrpunda, Chris Judd and Ben Cousins in form. But Paul Medhurst and Paul Hasleby helped to kept Fremantle close and in the third quarter the home team took control.

During that quarter Jeff Farmer had 10 kicks; Hasleby made eight disposals; Matthew Pavlich was dynamic and youngster Dion Woods made good use of the ball.

Other players to make significant contributions were confident defender Luke McPharlin; captain Peter Bell; Matthew Carr, who ran with Ben Cousins and kicked three goals and Justin Longmuir, who ran Glen Jakovich around and made the veteran defender lose his cool.

Fremantle won the derby.

Nice story, terribly written article.

Hayden is a star in my books, and I think it's better for Vic teams to continually underrate, and under-estimate The Genius.

He has incredible poise and nerve under pressure and great decision making skills too.

I like listening to the radio from time to time and the commentators are "Hayden dodges traffic kicks to Headland.....boy this Hayden guy can play can't he". Like it's news to them..... classic.

Time this thread was re-ignited with some Roger lurve!!!

As his buddy I most look forward to Roger taking many a match saving mark down back, with an occassional run forward to kick a goal or two!

Haydens superb year hopefully to be topped off with a much deserving AA selection and featuring high in the freo b&f results.

I look forward to the genius of roger hayden in 09 smashing opposition teams by his accurate reading of the play and hurting them on the rebound!

Roger - I SALUTE YOU!!!!!
May you have a happy, successful and injury free 2009 :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back