Betstar Champions Cup Om season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person to have seen the vision of a prominent Tigers player lashing out at a Myrtleford supporter? There's not a lot of contact in it, but it had potential to become a seriously ugly incident.

Or is it just being swept under the O&M carpet?
An investigation has been launched, didn't look too good on video.

From the Bordermail
"The O and M ordered the probe after the umpires requested the league review the video of last Saturday’s game."
I think thats a load of nonsense im prepared to give Head16 the credit for this one.
Myrt seem to be putting together a handy midseason recruiting blitz. The return of Burgess and the addition of the fella from Tiwi makes thier list look very dangerous. I'd say they are a very good chance of knocking off the two Wang teams in the comming weeks.

From the Bordermail
"The O and M ordered the probe after the umpires requested the league review the video of last Saturday’s game."
I think thats a load of nonsense im prepared to give Head16 the credit for this one.
Myrt seem to be putting together a handy midseason recruiting blitz. The return of Burgess and the addition of the fella from Tiwi makes thier list look very dangerous. I'd say they are a very good chance of knocking off the two Wang teams in the comming weeks.
Reckon it would go through the correct process McGyver, doubt whether a Bigfooty poster can get credit. After each game each side and umpires have until Monday lunchtime to ask for any incident to be reviewed, league then notify clubs if there is a case to answer. Not much in it IMO, however what he may go on is the potential for something to happen. Tigers at full strength tomorrow will flex their muscles against a severely understrength Lavington. Didn't recognise some names in their side. How many are out Head16? Guy telling me as many as 10! 1 vs 3 might be ugly. Another big name departure at a Victorian club as well I heard this morning.

Reckon it would go through the correct process McGyver, doubt whether a Bigfooty poster can get credit. After each game each side and umpires have until Monday lunchtime to ask for any incident to be reviewed, league then notify clubs if there is a case to answer. Not much in it IMO, however what he may go on is the potential for something to happen. Tigers at full strength tomorrow will flex their muscles against a severely understrength Lavington. Didn't recognise some names in their side. How many are out Head16? Guy telling me as many as 10! 1 vs 3 might be ugly. Another big name departure at a Victorian club as well I heard this morning.
which club?

Who?

Albury beats Lavy by 81
Wang beats north by 135
Myrtleford beats rovers by 92
Wodonga beats corowa by 87

And in a thrilller Yarra beats raiders by 51

It's no wonder no one, gives a toss about this once great comp

Albury beats Lavy by 81
Wang beats north by 135
Myrtleford beats rovers by 92
Wodonga beats corowa by 87

And in a thrilller Yarra beats raiders by 51

It's no wonder no one, gives a toss about this once great comp
I agree. People are so disinterested in the ovens and murray it's not funny. Crowds are so small it would be costing clubs to open the gates each game.

Just thinking, would it help if there were more teams in the O&M maybe add two more maybe, I mean base the draw still on 18 games and schedule who teams play on where teams finished the year before a bit like the surrounding bush leagues.
I think a lot of people would screw their nose at the idea, but potentially could give one of the bottom sides two more wins per year and a chance of finals.
Which teams to come in, well I'm not sure. Maybe push for Benalla as there has been talkfor a fair while. As for the second team not sure, maybe start a new team, and if they don't get picked they can nominate a tdfl and Hume league side to play for..
long shot I know but it MIGHT even the comp up a little bit.

Just thinking, would it help if there were more teams in the O&M maybe add two more maybe, I mean base the draw still on 18 games and schedule who teams play on where teams finished the year before a bit like the surrounding bush leagues.
I think a lot of people would screw their nose at the idea, but potentially could give one of the bottom sides two more wins per year and a chance of finals.
Which teams to come in, well I'm not sure. Maybe push for Benalla as there has been talkfor a fair while. As for the second team not sure, maybe start a new team, and if they don't get picked they can nominate a tdfl and Hume league side to play for..
long shot I know but it MIGHT even the comp up a little bit.
Great idea, dilute the talent pool even further

Great idea, dilute the talent pool even further

Well let's be honest, the O&M standard is dropped dramatically in the last 5years...only a couple teams get genuine top liners anymore because of it. So let's drop our expectations of the league and look longer term, I think it could work adding an extra two teams but it would be a 10+year process..
But guess we want a short term fix to alburys dominance though don't we?

Why would Benalla want to rejoin? They struggled in the O and M and have done well in the GV. Their Melbourne based recruits are playing closer to Melbourne rather than further when they play away games which makes recruiting easier. Good to see small towns like Euroa, Kyabram and Rochester are in the GV top 6, unlike our O and M league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be serious, we look like losing a vintage O&M club in Corowa. As it is no one has a quality suggestion for who could replace them. Now you want to add another two teams?? C'mon boss this is a pretty ludicrous suggestion.

On the positive we have what look like two quality games this weekend. Wang always struggle in the shaddows of the Ablett pavilion, plus Myrt look to field their best side all year.
O'Connor is facing the tribuanal and that might be enough to soften up Yarra and give Lavi a chance of making a game of it with a couple returning this week(apparently).

Lets be serious, we look like losing a vintage O&M club in Corowa. As it is no one has a quality suggestion for who could replace them. Now you want to add another two teams?? C'mon boss this is a pretty ludicrous suggestion.

On the positive we have what look like two quality games this weekend. Wang always struggle in the shaddows of the Ablett pavilion, plus Myrt look to field their best side all year.
O'Connor is facing the tribuanal and that might be enough to soften up Yarra and give Lavi a chance of making a game of it with a couple returning this week(apparently).

You actually think they will fold?!

I dont think anyone wants them to go. Their performance the other week vs Wang has reinvigorated the club abit. Before that massively improved performance im lead to believe alot of people around the club were doubting that the hard work they put in was worth it to stay in O&M. Aslong as they can rack up a win this year i think they will give it another crack next season.
If they land another player of the caliber of Lawton it will rapidly fast track the rebuild.

I dont think anyone wants them to go. Their performance the other week vs Wang has reinvigorated the club abit. Before that massively improved performance im lead to believe alot of people around the club were doubting that the hard work they put in was worth it to stay in O&M. Aslong as they can rack up a win this year i think they will give it another crack next season.
If they land another player of the caliber of Lawton it will rapidly fast track the rebuild.

True mate. Injury's are absolutely smashing them at the moment, everything seems to keep knocking them back down. I asked this earlier in the thread. How would they compare to a struggling Myrtleford team a few years back?

The real issue here imo is AFC has outgrown the league. I really dont think a club nor a league should be penalised for this... The points and salary cap really has not had an impact, it is flawed. Why not look at a whole new country victoria promotion/relegation.system.

For example, Divide the state into 4 sections North East, SE, NW and SW. (Exclude all metropolitan melb leagues). From there seperate each section into 10 team divisions. Premier, div 2 etc etc. So hyperthetically Corowa go to Div 2 in 2018 for finishing last, Thurgoona replaces them in premier for becoming div 2 champions.

Just a thought

The real issue here imo is AFC has outgrown the league. I really dont think a club nor a league should be penalised for this... The points and salary cap really has not had an impact, it is flawed. Why not look at a whole new country victoria promotion/relegation.system.

For example, Divide the state into 4 sections North East, SE, NW and SW. (Exclude all metropolitan melb leagues). From there seperate each section into 10 team divisions. Premier, div 2 etc etc. So hyperthetically Corowa go to Div 2 in 2018 for finishing last, Thurgoona replaces them in premier for becoming div 2 champions.

Just a thought
Yeah don't mind that.
Don't mind your username either!

Cheers Curry. Another thought also, Nobody really gives a s**t about interleague footy or representing their league anymore. So scrap that and replace it with a post season comp between the four premiers from their respective divisions..., this would then uncover who actually is the strongest club in country Vic.

Cheers Curry. Another thought also, Nobody really gives a s**t about interleague footy or representing their league anymore. So scrap that and replace it with a post season comp between the four premiers from their respective divisions..., this would then uncover who actually is the strongest club in country Vic.
Another good idea which could also lead to strongest side in Australia (outside of state leagues) that would be going back to the Foxtel Cup days but at an amateur level, which would hopefully be fully funded by the AFL. It wouldn't cost too much, it would be a bit hard to organise though!

I don't mind this kind of concept.

Scrap interleague! It was once a great idea and was once well supported by players and clubs and was once the aim of local players to play the highest standard possible.

Here's my thoughts on a way forward.

I think you need to stretch it further then 4 divisions!

Leave the current leagues as they are. Have the premiership teams from 8 leagues play off in a post season comp over 2 weeks in early October. First weekend the comp is split into 2 pools of 4. Saturday you play two 4x15 minute games. Sunday you play the remaining pool game and the top 2 ranked teams in each pool play a semi-final. Winners progress to a grand final, to be held a week later. Time to recover and prepare.

If this comp was worth some serious cash and 50% was directly to the players and 50% the clubs, you'd soon generate interest. I'm thinking $100,000. AFL stumps up half and competing leagues, gate $$ and sponsors covers the rest.

$50,000 to winner!! $25k players, $25k to club.
$10,000 2nd-4th
$5,000 5th-8th.

As a player it would suck having to come back and play for 2 more weeks after the season is done, but if it became an established comp, clubs would soon recognise that's what happens.

It will never happen, but it takes people sharing ideas like these before someone takes an idea and does something with it.

I don't mind this kind of concept.

Scrap interleague! It was once a great idea and was once well supported by players and clubs and was once the aim of local players to play the highest standard possible.

Here's my thoughts on a way forward.

I think you need to stretch it further then 4 divisions!

Leave the current leagues as they are. Have the premiership teams from 8 leagues play off in a post season comp over 2 weeks in early October. First weekend the comp is split into 2 pools of 4. Saturday you play two 4x15 minute games. Sunday you play the remaining pool game and the top 2 ranked teams in each pool play a semi-final. Winners progress to a grand final, to be held a week later. Time to recover and prepare.

If this comp was worth some serious cash and 50% was directly to the players and 50% the clubs, you'd soon generate interest. I'm thinking $100,000. AFL stumps up half and competing leagues, gate $$ and sponsors covers the rest.

$50,000 to winner!! $25k players, $25k to club.
$10,000 2nd-4th
$5,000 5th-8th.

As a player it would suck having to come back and play for 2 more weeks after the season is done, but if it became an established comp, clubs would soon recognise that's what happens.

It will never happen, but it takes people sharing ideas like these before someone takes an idea and does something with it.

Im sure an extra 5-10k towards an end of season footy trip out of the prize money would be enough of an incentive for 2 more weeks of footy. Plus its actually enjoyable that time of year as the weather is spot on...

I agree. People are so disinterested in the ovens and murray it's not funny. Crowds are so small it would be costing clubs to open the gates each game.

That's correct I think clubs have to pay the league $4k for each home game to cover admin, umpires etc. Most clubs, maybe none would be taking $4k on the gate week in week out, It takes a decent crowd to get to $4K when you consider a lot of the crowd are members and away supporters certainly don't travel like they used to (some clubs are better than others). So a lot of the time clubs do lose money on the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back