Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
Musical history is littered with 'em.

Some that I have in my own collection

Album_cover_james_ramey.jpg

A protege of Curtis Mayfield, Baby Huey (and the Babysitters) were by all accounts an incredible live act, with their dynamic blend of soul, funk and psychedelia. Unfortunately the 400 ib singer died of a drug related heart attack in 1970, the band's album was released in 1971 and sank without a trace. It is now considered a classic of it's kind

R-1510477-1226273814.jpeg

Dyke & The Blazers put out some of the most gritty soul of the late 60s. Unfortunately "Dyke" (Arlester Christian) the lead singer was murdered by some street punk in Phoenix in 1971. Best known for the track, "Funky Broadway" which became a hit for Wilson Pickett. I prefer the Blazers' version.

There's plenty of hard rock from the 60s and 70s with a solo album to their name. Parish Hall were a power trio from California's Bay Area.

parish+hall+-+st+1970+front.jpg

Their best track

Let's hear 'em bigfooty groovers

Pretty loose parameters, so basically this is a list of bands I like who have one album I love and either no other material or no other material I have any desire to listen to again, disregarding those with only one album that will probably release more.

Refused
Faraquet
The Fun And Games
The Beat
The Advantage
Death From Above 1979
Jules And The Polar Bears
Orchid
Slint
Wavves

Thought immediately of the Stone Roses when I saw the thread title, even though they did release a second album 5 years after the first.
george as well - though they also released a bland 2nd album
Hmm..coming up with a stack of 2 album (1 good/1 crap/oblivion) wonders, will keep scanning...

Arrested Development were basically one album wonders with 3 Years, 5 months and 2 days in the Life Of back in 1992 that won a truckload of Grammys and other music awards

These two tracks were monster hits for them and rightly so as they were brilliant.

They released a follow up album two years later which sunk like a stone, most people wouldn't even know it's name unless they googled it.

Hard to back up a killer first album where you've landed your best punch though, the Stone Roses syndrome.

Jeff Buckley is the obvious one album wonder with Grace.

Even if he hadn't swam with the fishes in the Mississippi River I doubt he would've topped his debut album.

Thought immediately of the Stone Roses when I saw the thread title, even though they did release a second album 5 years after the first.
george as well - though they also released a bland 2nd album
Hmm..coming up with a stack of 2 album (1 good/1 crap/oblivion) wonders, will keep scanning...

Yeah, loved their first album disappointed in the second (particularly considering the wait). However, I absolutely adore, "love spreads". Haven't listened to it for a while

Reckon I was allus destined to live in Manchestooooooh!

Yeah, loved their first album disappointed in the second (particularly considering the wait). However, I absolutely adore, "love spreads". Haven't listened to it for a while

Reckon I was allus destined to live in Manchestooooooh!

The while album is fantastic, and really diverse too. Love Spreads just hits you out of nowhere.

Company of Strangers
An Australian supergroup of sorts comprising of James Reyne, Daryl Braithwaite, Jef Scott, Simon Hussey and others.
Released one fantastic album (s/t) in 1992 and that was it.
Peter Mitchell sang lead on the one cover on the album:

New Radicals
Basically the group of singer/songwriter Gregg Alexander.
Released their only album Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too in 1998 and broke up the following year. Featured the big hit You Get What You Give and this great song, which never charted due to the lack of promotion because of the group's demise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Death from Above, I Was a Cub Scout, the Postal Service, Elle Milano... they're genuine, literal one-album bands, and albums that should never be followed up. I find a weird romance in bands who put out a single statement and disappear into pretty much nothing.

There are a few shoegaze bands where I am only interested in one album really (but most of them do have other celebrated albums). Probably the consequence of being a popular genre for a short period of time.

Bands where I only particularly cared for one album;

Gorillaz - Demon Days
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Alanis_Morissette_-_Jagged_Little_Pill.jpg

Alanis Morissett had a massive world wide hit with her third album. It went on to sell over 30 million copies. Never really heard of again.

It is a great album.

Company of Strangers
An Australian supergroup of sorts comprising of James Reyne, Daryl Braithwaite, Jef Scott, Simon Hussey and others.
Released one fantastic album (s/t) in 1992 and that was it.
Peter Mitchell sang lead on the one cover on the album

I don't think Mitch sang lead,it was backing vocals
Great album that I still listen to a bit.

I don't think Mitch sang lead,it was backing vocals
Great album that I still listen to a bit.
You may be right. Must dig the CD out and check.

I wonder whatever happened to Simon Hussey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back