materamagic

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2003
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
We seen Mainy, return to the track with his old chirpyness and determination but who else could you see zip around with the eagles one more time?????

I nominate Chris Lewis. He is on playing weight and could weave some of that old magic and is still in good shape

So is Craig Turley, he would fill this role good.

Woosha himself could charge into tackling bag or be the enforcer for the day

Suma could give us a lecture in how to lead and kick goals and points and to yell at the ********s who ignored his leads because Bull Langdon jumped over the Subiaco fence and duplicated a lead only for his achilles to go:p

Then Rob Wiley could show the rovers how its done working under Big Basil Keene who stands towering in the middle of subi

Sure we could get Peter Matera to jog down the wing bouncing the ball.

Seven News and maybe Today Tonight, take notice.

This could be the special on "how the champions shape up a decade later":p

You'd reckon Jufa Hart and Jobby would hold their own on the training track, what with the running and all.

Fatty Lamb looked in decent nick last time I saw him (which admittedly was about 2 years ago.) and Andy Lovell will probably still be fighting fit.

Ones who may struggle - Monkey Brennan, Scotty Cummings and Adrian Barich.

I wonder what size Andrew "Barge" Lockyer is these days?

Scott Cummings is well on his way to looking like Billy Brownless.

Actually, one thing that I kind of occured to me during the last praccie match, when the likes of Worsfold, Wiley and Sumich were jogging off the park at half time is how entertaining it would be to see some sort of charity Freo v WC derby played during the offseason, in a similar mold to the E.J Whitten game?

What I thought would be cool would be if with a selection of past players associated with either West Coast or Fremantle, and then, since the numbers in either team would require a bit of padding have the balance of the list filled out with rookies or promising young WAFL players- a figurative 22 for us, composed of 16 legends and 6 youngbloods would be

FB: B. Jones McIntosh Hart
HB: Worsfold Graham McKenna
C: Matera Kemp Mainwaring (the idea of that centreline reunited gives me goosebumps)
HF: Wiley, Langdon Edwards
FF: Lewis Sumich Heady

R: Keane, Rudeforth, Evans
Int: Beeck, M.Embley, Brennan, Lamb

As far as I know, all of the above are ..somewhat.. match fit. Roo and Milli are recently retired, whilst Mckenna, Heady, Lewis, Keane and Woosh have seen action in recent legends matches.

No doubt this would never happen, but wouldn't it be cool? Put that lot up against a similar team from Fremantle, and play it as a curtain raiser (okay, perhaps several weeks before to allow the coaching staff to recover) to the derby. Not only would it be awesome to see the old blokes in action again, but the idea of a few of our lesser known kids getting to play with and against some legends would be pretty cool. Certainly it'd give them a fresh take on where someone like Woosh is coming from.

I suppose we'd have to cede the likes of Glendinning and Waterman to the purple, since they're drawing a wage from them-if Freo were going to field a team with similar selection criteria (16 legends associated with the club in the past or present, 6 rookies or unblooded youngsters, preferably not highly ranked draft picks), any dockerite want to have a go at what that team would be?

I suppose we'd have to cede the likes of Glendinning and Waterman to the purple, since they're drawing a wage from them-if Freo were going to field a team with similar selection criteria (16 legends associated with the club in the past or present, 6 rookies or unblooded youngsters, preferably not highly ranked draft picks), any dockerite want to have a go at what that team would be?

A legend of the Fremantle Dockers club? There's an oxymoron right there in itself. One who I'd nominate as eligible to still give the training track a shake is David Hart. He still works for the club in some capacity, you see him running in and out of the office every time you enter Admin. He still looks very trim and fit in his polo shirt and tennis shorts and uncannily alike any given high-school PE teacher. And as for Turls, I doubt he'd be able to do much good anymore. His knees were in even a worse state than Bluey's, Milli's or Roo's by the end. Remember his aborted attempted comeback for West Perth a few seasons ago? That lasted for about 3 quarters. He's done with footy, he recently retired as head coach for my old school, Guildford Grammar, (a position previously held by fellow former Eagle and Blue Matt Clape). In an interesting twist, my old friend and neighbour's father has since taken over the reigns there from Turls.

Originally posted by Pheret
He's done with footy, he recently retired as head coach for my old school, Guildford Grammar, (a position previously held by fellow former Eagle and Blue Matt Clape). In an interesting twist, my old friend and neighbour's father has since taken over the reigns there from Turls.

Think youll find Turley is the main man behind setting up an Aboriginal Football College not unlike Clontarf in Geraldton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back