News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know how you could really be confident about that. Sales and messaging is part of his job. Coming across as a decent bloke is part of that.

Yes his credentials exceed Burton :thumbsu:

Of course hope you are correct and the days of dishonest Riley Knight “soreness” self preservation etc are behind us. And maybe even some competent coherent club wide strategy too.

When your last appointee is Burton, even the bare minimum is exceeding expectations.

People thought Harper was a chance because we held our review later meaning we had a reduced candidate field.

People thought Harper was a chance because this is the same management team that recruited and then promoted Burton.

People thought Harper was a chance because one week before the review Chapman was lauding Burton.

People thought Harper was a chance because this same management team extended Campos contract and then sacked him a few months later.

People thought Harper was a chance because this is the same management team. They have zero runs on the board and people were well within their rights to be sceptical and have zero faith in the club.
Of course you do, doesn't mean that you can't cop it when it didn't happen though.

They HAD to do the right thing immediately following the review or they'd have lost any credibility the club had.

Good bloody lord. You keep on defaulting to sling off and going half cocked at the club, you keep mentioning we should chill out. We should stop bedwetting.

What you haven't mentioned is what on earth has the club done in recent history to deserve any benefit of the doubt.

They have been sh*t.
They feed their supporters lies.
Roo even mentioned what he thought of the supporters.
We have the biggest dud as a chairman
The list goes on

But according to you we should follow with total blind faith.

Its people like you that gives the club the confidence to treat the wider supporter base with total contempt.
An external review (though it sounds like some were dragged along kicking and screaming), which resulted in Burton and Camporeale being moved on wouldn't be a bad place to start

Relationships is obviously the clubs theme, but his presser was much more than that. He came across as a decent bloke, you can’t fake what he put on, you just come across as a fake. He obviously is a natural with the media. Plus his credentials by far exceed Burton.

the clubs continued focus on relationship, people skills etc on both Nicks and Kelly is fairly revealing in terms of where they think things went wrong before

Putting up my hand. I thought Chapman and Roo would bail on a new bloke and use to cap as an excuse to appoint Harper as a fill-in until Vozzo was free to move.

Kelly is a good appointment to the role. Outside the club, experienced, just what we needed. Well done for once AFC.
I think most were in this boat, even the die hards, there’s certainly been no recent history to suggest otherwise really.

An external review (though it sounds like some were dragged along kicking and screaming), which resulted in Burton and Camporeale being moved on wouldn't be a bad place to start
The external review was due to the supporter backlash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't alter the fact that the review was done. And if Fagan is to be believed, he was pushing for the external review from mid year
Where is Fagan quoted as saying that?

And they get no credit for calling a review they only called due to the threat of lost memberships and Roos big mouth

The external review was due to the supporter backlash.

A fact that shouldn't be forgotten in the retrospective 'you bedwetters should wait for the club to finish the entirety of its actions before reacting to bad ones' routine. Not only has supporter pressure been proven to have the capacity to influence- it's the only thing that has.

Had the happy clappers prevailed, we'd still have Burton in the role. Now they come and try to gloat about his replacement.

Good bloody lord. You keep on defaulting to sling off and going half cocked at the club, you keep mentioning we should chill out. We should stop bedwetting.

What you haven't mentioned is what on earth has the club done in recent history to deserve any benefit of the doubt.

They have been sh*t.
They feed their supporters lies.
Roo even mentioned what he thought of the supporters.
We have the biggest dud as a chairman
The list goes on

But according to you we should follow with total blind faith.

Its people like you that gives the club the confidence to treat the wider supporter base with total contempt.

But it's dishonest in any event.

The line being taken in this thread was a substantive defence, not a tentative wait and see.

The suggestion was (and remains) that the Tippett saga wasnt so bad really so Harper's fine, and then even more bizarrely that the fault truly lies with fans that aren't happy with attending games, witnessing brief periods of competent play, and then leaving when we lose.

For me Burton is the sole reason for our malaise in 2018/19. Our list profile had us building from 2015 onwards with being contenders in 2017 to 2019. The player departures this year was a natural part of this cycle.

Between 2017 and 19 Burton stuffed up our injury rehab programs. This was wallpappered over in 2017 with making the GF. But hit hard in 2018, with lasting effects into 2019.

Then he allows the CM Cowboys to take the players on that ridiculous camp. It is evident trusts were broken over those few days and once that is gone in any workplace, let alone a sporting team success will struggle to be achieved.

To me the Review served its purpose in ousting him and then as we have seen employing a far more competent replacement. With a recruitment process that did not involve Roo tapping Kelly on the shoulder and asking if he wanted the job over a pint at the Alma.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

For me Burton is the sole reason for our malaise in 2018/19. Our list profile had us building from 2015 onwards with being contenders in 2017 to 2019. The player departures this year was a natural part of this cycle.

Between 2017 and 19 Burton stuffed up our injury rehab programs. This was wallpappered over in 2017 with making the GF. But hit hard in 2018, with lasting effects into 2019.

Then he allows the CM Cowboys to take the players on that ridiculous camp. It is evident trusts were broken over those few days and once that is gone in any workplace, let alone a sporting team success will struggle to be achieved.

To me the Review served its purpose in ousting him and then as we have seen employing a far more competent replacement. With a recruitment process that did not involve Roo tapping Kelly on the shoulder and asking if he wanted the job over a pint at the Alma.

Not sure you can pin it all on Birdturd but he's a big slice of the pie.

Where is Fagan quoted as saying that?

And they get no credit for calling a review they only called due to the threat of lost memberships and Roos big mouth
Hey .. how about you just go back and re-read the post I quoted.

If you want to to argue points, it would be nice if people included disclaimers and/or rules directly relating to their posts

In 2017 didn't we have the best in business injury report, I thought we only used 31 players the entire year, surely if Burton gets bagged he deserves credit for that 2017 year and the injuries in that year also

But it's dishonest in any event.

The line being taken in this thread was a substantive defence, not a tentative wait and see.

The suggestion was (and remains) that the Tippett saga wasnt so bad really so Harper's fine, and then even more bizarrely that the fault truly lies with fans that aren't happy with attending games, witnessing brief periods of competent play, and then leaving when we lose.

Trigg eventually went for the Tippet Saga, he was the man in charge, like who ever is in charge of the club for the so called camp saga

I thought it was Chapman the board that forced changed

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

did they all get on the phone together and in one voice organised an audit? although that would have been cool to watch, it wouldn’t of worked that way. They would have endorsed the audit, but Fagan would have presented the option and once approved would need to deliver on them, which he has.

Marty, you can’t point your finger at the very top for every bad thing that happens. There is a level of trust at each layer between the board all the way to thebottom. Bad stuff does happen And a good leadership structure ensures the club learns and not make the same mistake.

did they all get on the phone together and in one voice organised an audit? although that would have been cool to watch, it wouldn’t of worked that way. They would have endorsed the audit, but Fagan would have presented the option and once approved would need to deliver on them, which he has.

Marty, you can’t point your finger at the very top for every bad thing that happens. There is a level of trust at each layer between the board all the way to thebottom. Bad stuff does happen And a good leadership structure ensures the club learns and not make the same mistake.

Yes youre right Fagan would have made recommendations to the board like he has done, so he has done well, but he has made recommendations so for the last 5 years, so yeah youre right Fagan made change by recommending a review over the recommendations he has made to the board over the past 5 years.

The board sit in their Ivory Tower I agree, and get fed everything from their CEO who is fed from his staff. This is exactly how a board works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back