List Mgmt. Our rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayes is a good mark go back and watch the early games.
He’s actually not much chop in the ruck but competes at ground level.
We are talking about different Hayes's , go back and read the thread

Rucks are the least of my concerns with our list moving forward.

Marshall has proven he can hold down the no1 ruck spot and Hayes is more than a handy forward/pinch hitting in the ruck.

Add to that Heath developing nicely in the 2's and a journeyman ruckman also in the 2's like a Campbell to add a big body for our developing mids.

What if Campbell pulls the pin at the end of the year as well ?.

Heath is 2-3 years away on current form.

As I said he still may have improvement but at this stage he isn't up to it

He's a ruck who's played 7 games. Most hit their peak late 20s and he already looks pretty good.

We saw tonight what Marshall can do as the number one. His potential is scary.
It's time he was the permanent lone ruckman. And if we go with two, get Lobb.

Ryder's a star and been great for us but writing on the wall a bit I feel.

It's time he was the permanent lone ruckman. And if we go with two, get Lobb.

Ryder's a star and been great for us but writing on the wall a bit I feel.
I don't think it's a Ryder problem but a selection problem.
Keep Paddy in cotton wool until he's actually needed.
Don't go pissing away good draft picks and SC on 30yo mediocre types.
Improve the ducking midfield.

I don't think it's a Ryder problem but a selection problem.
Keep Paddy in cotton wool until he's actually needed.
Don't go pissing away good draft picks and SC on 30yo mediocre types.
Improve the ducking midfield.
Yeah definitely not a result of Ryder out of form or whatever but just a natural evolution of the side I feel.

Personally I prefer sides with one designated ruckman and perhaps an undersized pinch hitter if needed but that's just me.

Ryder might not be offered a new deal so we need to keep pumping games into Marshall as sole ruck, and if we desperately need two for structure then Lobb is the best option I reckon.

We need to develop the midfield through the draft, last year's draft was a massive step in the right direction for us

I really think we can reverse Ryder and Marshall’s roles. Paddy 70% forward Marshall 70% ruck.
Paddy is way better as a forward and Roma is now showing what he can do as the 1st ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping we'd do that this year. Might have helped to get through the season.
Yep. Playing him out the goal square and allowing Max to roam a bit more (like last week) could have been a good plan

Ratten said recently that they’d tried using Ryder in centre bounces and then shifted Marshall into the ruck whilst Ryder moved forward.

That’s pretty much the ideal scenario but is it any better than having Marshall in the ruck and a proper key forward that can chop out? I don’t think so. I hope we can convince Lobb to come so we can finally use Marshall as the main man.

TBH if Hayes comes back from his knee well enough I don't see why he wouldn't continue playing pinch hitter.

I'd forgotten about him.

I'm happy to give ryder 1 more year with hayes coming back.

Ryder will be a huge injury risk again next year- but also can be a huge asset for us when fit.

The injury risk with paddy should be totally covered by hayes.
Ie when (not if), paddy can only play half the games next year- hayes steps in.

Hayes is coming off a knee plus surely still adjusting to life as an elite pro footballer.
I reckon he'll still be happy to be on an AFL list getting half a season in the seniors under his belt.

He wont be too disgruntled having to spend 2023 only playing half the season the the seniors.

Everybody wins- we get ryder making a big difference to our fortunes when he can play, while not losing too much from the 22 when he can't play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back