Autopsy Out of our misery

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we make some tough calls in the offseason, doesn’t really matter who but you need to set an example that not making the 8 after a GF is not good enough.

The guys in the middle need to be strong with breakaway ability. Macrae to the wing, libba 50/50 middle forward. I actually think our first pick should be an on baller. Trade for other needs.

Constantly tweak the list, for me Keath, Bruce and Williams should only be backup next year.

Most importantly the zone defensive is a fail. The back off the mark is a fail. 3rd quarter freo mark 65 from goal, Richards back off 5, freo day thank you very much I don’t have to back up clear view 2 step and pass to Fredricks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t agree with the doom and gloom.

What we need is:
1. Lobb, Jones and an intercept defender like Easton Wood
2. A senior assistant like Cameron and some other changes in the coaching ranks
3. A new primary game plan

And we are back in the hunt.
Oh right that’s all we need? Easy then. 😂

All I need is 7 virgin wives, my own baseball field & a newly uncovered species named after me and I’ll be happy.

Here’s the problem:

I hate Chris Scott. But if he and Bevo swapped jobs 9 months ago where do we think the cats and dogs sit on the ladder?

What a brutal season, derailed by coaching hubris.

Why no armbands for Herb Henderson? Full Back in the team of the Century, not hard to show some respect. Piss poor day, leadership of this club leaves a lot to be desired, easy to see Freo wanted it more.
Thought that too. It's not like the arm bands are hard to organise, plus a photo tribute pre-game (unless I missed it, but got there half an hour before the start).

As you say, a club legend, a home game, lots of former players in attendance for retro round, and no acknowledgement. Piss poor indeed.

Why no armbands for Herb Henderson? Full Back in the team of the Century, not hard to show some respect. Piss poor day, leadership of this club leaves a lot to be desired, easy to see Freo wanted it more.

Agreed, was pretty disappointed with this.

Club has to be better.

Something seriously wrong in the midfield if we are dominating clearances and inside 50 numbers but coming out sideways around the corner therefore halving our lead options to one side of the ground. Thats coaching.
Continuously having no answer for teams coming straight out the front of centre clearance uncontested and oppo scoring after it was shown up IN THE GRAND FINAL. Thats coaching.

Being completely unable to hit a target inside 50 because nobodys making space/moving THATS COACHING and the players look lost. This results in a stupid number of transition goals that we cant defend.

Anyone saying Dunkley leaving wont cause issues is delusional without him we have no defensive midfield options and today gets uglier. Real battler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute bullshit. Half a dozen poor games and this is the crap he cops. Has stood up when it matters his whole career and kicked possibly the biggest goal in our 2016 Finals run. We haven’t had a more reliable player in decades and you can’t wait to get the boot in. Pathetic stuff.
46 goals in 200 games as a wing/mid. That's about 6 goals a season.
Granted his goal v GWS in 2016 prelim was clutch. But it was a straightforward shot other than immense pressure.
He kicked a memorable one v Melbourne 2 weeks ago, set up by Bont.
But I struggle to remember any more.
That's not good enough for an elite mid that gets lots of ball in fwd50.
3 times today at least he had an option to shoot. He gave Baz one on the boundary when he had a far simpler shot. Fortunately Baz kicked it.
Leaders have to take responsibility when it's needed.
He needs to more.

We would need to win our last two games

And two of the below to happen:

St Kilda to lose at least one more game - likely
Carlton to lose all three games - possible
Richmond to lose both games - no chance

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

think u win both and Carlton lose both

We would need to win our last two games

And two of the below to happen:

St Kilda to lose at least one more game - likely
Carlton to lose all three games - possible
Richmond to lose both games - no chance

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Ha. There's you're problem.

I'll have September off thanks. We would be obliterated in a final.

46 goals in 200 games as a wing/mid. That's about 6 goals a season.
Granted his goal v GWS in 2016 prelim was clutch. But it was a straightforward shot other than immense pressure.
He kicked a memorable one v Melbourne 2 weeks ago, set up by Bont.
But I struggle to remember any more.
That's not good enough for an elite mid that gets lots of ball in fwd50.
3 times today at least he had an option to shoot. He gave Baz one on the boundary when he had a far simpler shot. Fortunately Baz kicked it.
Leaders have to take responsibility when it's needed.
He needs to more.

View attachment TEST4_1280x716_MP4.mp4

How can you honestly say that Macrae had a simpler shot? It would've had to be a quick snap that could have gone anywhere or even been smothered.

There is no question that he should be more selfish and take more shots but that could be said for a lot of our mids. The Bevo model is that there is always a better option, hence the frustration at our over-handballing inside 50. Macrae makes up for it though in other areas...

Most Score Assists By Midfielders In The AFL (Since 2013)
262 - P. Dangerfield (209 games)
261 - S. Pendlebury (205 games)
257 - JACK MACRAE (205 games)
249 - J. Selwood (215 games)
245 - T. Boak (217 games)

Pretty handy list of players there. Now let's take a look at how many times those 5 players have been targeted inside 50 since 2013...

527 - P. Dangerfield
187 - T. Boak
133 - S. Pendlebury
125 - J. Selwood
67 - JACK MACRAE

And what about disposal efficiency inside 50 for those 5 since 2013...

60.6% - JACK MACRAE
58.1% - S. Pendelbury
55.6% - P. Dangerfield
55.1% - T. Boak
54.1% - J. Selwood

Granted he had a poor game last week by his extremely high standards but he was clearly one of our best tonight and don't say he turned it over a lot because just about everyone did at some point.

Macrae is probably the most consistent player we've had this century and to question his leadership quality because he hasn't kicked a ton of goals is just madness.

Reckon Bailey Williams is getting dropped, very frosty body language between him and Bevo in the last quarter on the bench
Truck might be sick of his s**t.

The body language of the players at the final break was really poor. During the game there was a lot of finger pointing too, obviously it being retro round they were just paying homage to that fraud Shaun Higgins’ time with us, but still, it’s a bad look.

And yet, our misery and/or hope will be extended till Round 23.

Bizarrely, we could still make it if Carlton lose every game. And Carlton's opponent in every match is vying for a top 4 spot. If Carlton's opponent in any of those games loses, it will almost certainly mean they miss the top 4 so they all have an incentive to win. It's likely to all come down to Pies v Blues in Round 23. That will be some game...some crowd....some hyperbole in the commentary box.

What a season. What a time to be alive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back