Ovens & Murray discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

That was slightly different though as Heath actually hadn’t played a game for his “home club” before playing for Benalla

He was going to get an extra point for switching clubs in season

If he had played 1 game for his home club then Benalla then back to his home club his points wouldn’t have changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was Heath contracted by AFLVIC? Tommy Baulch is so I’d reckon that his points will not change whilst playing exhibitions.

Was Heath contracted by AFLVIC? Tommy Baulch is so I’d reckon that his points will not change whilst playing exhibitions.

0e09c73b58470412fc13858938dc884b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m all for younger blokes having to step up their game to improve. I’m just thinking about the long term implications of sacrificing local players for relying on imports for your success. Rovers will be one of the teams to beat this year, no doubt. I hope all these imports that have the love for the club right now, stick around and play 100+ games for the club, but I have my doubts they will if the reasons for playing aren’t right.

Non-locals playing for Rovers this year?

Hughes, Baulch (Prime), Phillips

I would consider Sam and Toby Murray under ‘locals’ now as they have been at the club for at least 3 years and the whole family is heavily involved at the club.

Boyd has moved to the town and is teaching at a local primary school.

Filo will be in his second year at the club, and is living and working in Wangaratta when he gets back from NT I’m told.

Cooper and Hebron might play bye weekends in VFL, but have been with the club for 3 seasons now.

Every other player is either a local, originally a local, or came up through the thirds. Just because someone lives in Melbourne, doesn’t automatically make them not a local anymore.

So in reality the club has topped up with 3 recruits (Hughes, Baulch, Phillips) Hardly the ‘Foreign Legion’ type set up everyone seems to keep going on about.

Non-locals playing for Rovers this year?

Hughes, Baulch (Prime), Phillips

I would consider Sam and Toby Murray under ‘locals’ now as they have been at the club for at least 3 years and the whole family is heavily involved at the club.

Boyd has moved to the town and is teaching at a local primary school.

Filo will be in his second year at the club, and is living and working in Wangaratta when he gets back from NT I’m told.

Cooper and Hebron might play bye weekends in VFL, but have been with the club for 3 seasons now.

Every other player is either a local, originally a local, or came up through the thirds. Just because someone lives in Melbourne, doesn’t automatically make them not a local anymore.

So in reality the club has topped up with 3 recruits (Hughes, Baulch, Phillips) Hardly the ‘Foreign Legion’ type set up everyone seems to keep going on about.

Fair point.
Have they lost Joliffe, McQueen and Bryant from last years Prelim side? That was 9 points last year.
Murray, Filo, Boyd, Murray and Amery brothers all lose a point. Which equates to 16 points off the 41/42 they were in the prelim. Gives them 17 to work with for this season.
What would Hughes, Baulch and Phillips be points wise?
Are Cooper and Hebron 1 pointers?
If Templeton does play he would be 5 points
Think it would be tight points wise if you were to add Hughes, Baulch, Phillips, Cooper, Hebron and Templeton to the same squad as the prelim is all.
That’s all with an additional 2 points allowance on the standard 40 points allowed. Are Rovers still getting that 2 point allowance?

Fair point.
Have they lost Joliffe, McQueen and Bryant from last years Prelim side? That was 9 points last year.
Murray, Filo, Boyd, Murray and Amery brothers all lose a point. Which equates to 16 points off the 41/42 they were in the prelim. Gives them 17 to work with for this season.
What would Hughes, Baulch and Phillips be points wise?
Are Cooper and Hebron 1 pointers?
If Templeton does play he would be 5 points
Think it would be tight points wise if you were to add Hughes, Baulch, Phillips, Cooper, Hebron and Templeton to the same squad as the prelim is all.
That’s all with an additional 2 points allowance on the standard 40 points allowed. Are Rovers still getting that 2 point allowance?

Yeah I think you are pretty spot on with the math there. I personally think that making it to a prelim should mean you lose your point allowance, so they should really be the standard 40 points this season.

I think Cooper and Hebron stay as 3 & 4 points respectively as I can’t imagine they played the minimum games to drop a point last season.

I would only be guessing but Hughes from VFL a minimum 4 points, Baulch from QAFL 3-4 points, Phillips from Bendigo FL 3 points

McQueen, Bryant, Joliffe out frees up 9 points as you said. Gets very tight if you try and squeeze Templeton in.

Handy that they get Will Christie back as a 1 pointer, and also hearing that former B&F winner Ryan Cobain has been training and keen to play after a few seasons off with work commitments.

Anyway enough about Rovers for a while until TF puts out his podcast. 8 other sides we need to dissect ☺️

Yeah I think you are pretty spot on with the math there. I personally think that making it to a prelim should mean you lose your point allowance, so they should really be the standard 40 points this season.

I think Cooper and Hebron stay as 3 & 4 points respectively as I can’t imagine they played the minimum games to drop a point last season.

I would only be guessing but Hughes from VFL a minimum 4 points, Baulch from QAFL 3-4 points, Phillips from Bendigo FL 3 points

McQueen, Bryant, Joliffe out frees up 9 points as you said. Gets very tight if you try and squeeze Templeton in.

Handy that they get Will Christie back as a 1 pointer, and also hearing that former B&F winner Ryan Cobain has been training and keen to play after a few seasons off with work commitments.

Anyway enough about Rovers for a while until TF puts out his podcast. 8 other sides we need to dissect ☺️
where has Bryant gone.

Anyway enough about Rovers for a while until TF puts out his podcast. 8 other sides we need to dissect

Good to see the one pointers back, especially Cobain, been there during the tough times.
Hebron and Cooper might play on a VFL bye, won’t be there come finals.
Bryant not coming back.
Webb has left too?
But, I digress, you are right, can we talk about Yarra?
Will Williams get to 100 this year? I know a few have said Gibbons is going to dominate. But, I think Whiley will be the one, freed up from coaching I can see him finding his best form again in the O&M

Good to see the one pointers back, especially Cobain, been there during the tough times.
Hebron and Cooper might play on a VFL bye, won’t be there come finals.
Bryant not coming back.
Webb has left too?
But, I digress, you are right, can we talk about Yarra?
Will Williams get to 100 this year? I know a few have said Gibbons is going to dominate. But, I think Whiley will be the one, freed up from coaching I can see him finding his best form again in the O&M

Yarra for me are a really interesting prospect. I don’t think anyone disputes that they have the best midfield in the comp, and a very strong backline led by Masters. But my big concern is if a side shuts down big Leighroy or if he goes down/misses with injury, where are their goals coming from? Going to obviously need Gibbons to spend some time forward and kick 30-40, as well as Koopman to get back to his best. Probably the only foreseeable chink in a pretty solid pigeon armour?

Having said that I think if he stays fit and plays more games than he misses then Williams gives the ton a rattle for sure

Yarra for me are a really interesting prospect. I don’t think anyone disputes that they have the best midfield in the comp, and a very strong backline led by Masters. But my big concern is if a side shuts down big Leighroy or if he goes down/misses with injury, where are their goals coming from? Going to obviously need Gibbons to spend some time forward and kick 30-40, as well as Koopman to get back to his best. Probably the only foreseeable chink in a pretty solid pigeon armour?

Having said that I think if he stays fit and plays more games than he misses then Williams gives the ton a rattle for sure

Yep, agreed. Believe they’ve lost a handful of solid players from their side last year. Going to be fun watching it all unfold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Williams goes down, does Stevie J play out of the square?

He adds a bit of character to thread, there's lots of crap, a little humour and there's the odd bit of good footy analysis

Exactly, take it for what it is. Like I said before, imagine it’s actually Cressa and it’s so much more fun

I know the base rate for a non playing O&M coach is $30,000, what would someone like Steve Johnson be getting paid? Is it fair there’s no restrictions on clubs paying big dollars for their main men?

I think backline might be the worry. Cross gone, Holgate gone, Meade and Sharp both gone takes a fair few big backmen out of there line up. None of them super stars but all capable of locking down a key forward, does Masters now have to play on someone. No doubt he is as good as there is at coming of his man and patrolling the backline but might not have the luxury of that this year???

I know the base rate for a non playing O&M coach is $30,000, what would someone like Steve Johnson be getting paid? Is it fair there’s no restrictions on clubs paying big dollars for their main men?
I don't think so, some good coaches do it for not much, a guy like Mick mcguane is worth every cent, at Keilor he coaches one of the junior teams, has a fair bit to do with their junior programs, he's knowledge of the opposition is unbelievable, hed be in the upper bracket of coaches paid in the state but he's worth every cent, maybe it becomes a full time job, with club admin thrown in

I think a good coach is needed to succeed in the o and m.
So it’s 30,000 we’ll spent. I’d have to think the likes of Stevie j would be on 30-40k, but suddenly has a nice new lakeside property near the golf course in yarra

I think a good coach is needed to succeed in the o and m.
So it’s 30,000 we’ll spent. I’d have to think the likes of Stevie j would be on 30-40k, but suddenly has a nice new lakeside property near the golf course in yarra
30-40k? I’m guessing the package would be closer to 90-100k, why would he leave an AFL role for pennies? Yarra have bottomless pockets, no need to be frugal. Heard on the grapevine there’s been a few stray balls landing in the residential zone, might want to hit Akker up for some tips.

30-40k? I’m guessing the package would be closer to 90-100k, why would he leave an AFL role for pennies? Yarra have bottomless pockets, no need to be frugal. Heard on the grapevine there’s been a few stray balls landing in the residential zone, might want to hit Akker up for some tips.
Looks like he's on the tools as the demo man in his house as well tf

For mine, i dont think a non playing coach should be counted in the cap. Just because he has a high profile doesnt always mean good results will come

Remove this Banner Ad

Back