Past Cameron Giles

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a pretty promising comparison
Its only VFL, and he hasnt played for too long. But the way he comes accross, and his very accurate kicking to set up play out of the back half is very encouraging.

Lets hope he gets his foot right. They can be career ruining injuries if not dealt with properly.

Rebounder like Henderson and Bower...
Skippos said:
It's hard to explain but they're very different players. Lever is more of a natural I guess. He reads the ball to perfection and he's skilled. He does all the small things right. There's a bit of Maxwell and Fletch in the way he can zone off and neutralise other contests and a bit of Harry Taylor in his natural ability to just read and clunk the ball. Offensively he's got above average footskills for a player of his role and he's not shy to run and create. Not Cameron Giles-esque perhaps but still more than most juniors.

Has reminded me of Josh Gibson at times.

Physically, he's nothing like Gibson by way of height or weight.
He doesn't strike me as a player that would fare well with stacking on the kilos either.

Sort of reminds me a little more of a Grant Birchall.............at this stage of things anyway.

Physically, he's nothing like Gibson by way of height or weight.
He doesn't strike me as a player that would fare well with stacking on the kilos either.

Sort of reminds me a little more of a Grant Birchall.............at this stage of things anyway.
I was going to suggest a hybrid of Gibson and Birchall - but thought it might sound a bit greedy.

Reminds me of Gibson in the air, and Birchall on the ground.

I was going to suggest a hybrid of Gibson and Birchall - but thought it might sound a bit greedy.

Reminds me of Gibson in the air, and Birchall on the ground.

O.K. ............ I'm seeing it. :)

I was hoping they'd play Giles on the wing at times early in the year, the way we tried with McCarthy.
Unfortunately though, he was left at FB and the monsters made him look ordinary, which wasn't really fair to the kid.

Once he took off with ball in hand he looked terrific. Our 195cm third tall back-man/swing-man?

O.K. ............ I'm seeing it. :)

I was hoping they'd play Giles on the wing at times early in the year, the way we tried with McCarthy.
Unfortunately though, he was left at FB and the monsters made him look ordinary, which wasn't really fair to the kid.

Once he took off with ball in hand he looked terrific. Our 195cm third tall back-man/swing-man?
"We seem his as having potential on the wing for us" *shudder*

I say let him get some size and leave him at CHB with some forward forays. His attacking game is natural so we should develop his one on one work.

"We seem his as having potential on the wing for us" *shudder*

I say let him get some size and leave him at CHB with some forward forays. His attacking game is natural so we should develop his one on one work.

Just to get him away from being out-bodied, week after week.

Anthony was out and Giles was playing FB on all the grunts at the time.
Just didn't have the body to compete and started looking a little frustrated before his injury.

Just to get him away from being out-bodied, week after week.

Anthony was out and Giles was playing FB on all the grunts at the time.
Just didn't have the body to compete and started looking a little frustrated before his injury.
Fair enough, having only seen him in person once I'll take your much more qualified opinion haha.

How's his pace and agility, could he play on medium forwards?

Fair enough, having only seen him in person once I'll take your much more qualified opinion haha.

How's his pace and agility, could he play on medium forwards?

Absolutely. Pace, agility, general smarts and awareness all good.
Hits his targets with confidence and loves to give and receive............just doesn't like getting bullied by 100KG 25 year olds.......yet :)

Guess I was just being a little selfish wanting to see more of those attributes as opposed to watching him get outmarked, time and again.

Absolutely. Pace, agility, general smarts and awareness all good.
Hits his targets with confidence and loves to give and receive............just doesn't like getting bullied by 100KG 25 year olds.......yet :)

Guess I was just being a little selfish wanting to see more of those attributes as opposed to watching him get outmarked, time and again.
Fingers crossed either way that the Northern Blues pick up a big defender (like a taller Dirago) for next year...we can have a development team all we like but sometimes you simply have to place the tallest kid at full back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is he faring with the foot injury? How much did it affect his 2014 season?

I feel bad for him, seems that he's almost become a forgotten talent with all of the trades in the last two seasons. When we got him at Pick 39 a lot of people we're saying we'd landed a bargain and he clearly looked to be a very creative running defender as a junior.

Where does he fit in the best 22? Docherty, Walker & Simpson all fit take the creative defensive roles, and the key jobs are taken up by Rowe, Jamison and Henderson if needed. Could be become the defender to take the third tall and then run off them?

I really want to see this bloke make it and feel like if he could get his body right would be a valuable addition.

Hope his nickname at the club is Rupert.

Fans of American pop culture will now what I'm talking about

Nice to read some good news for a change.

From the 'Late Mail' section on the AFL site:

4.09pm: Good news for Giles

Young defender Cameron Giles has started running after a long battle following a navicular injury early in 2014.

Diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right navicular in late May, 2014, Giles spent seven weeks on crutches after having a plate and four screws inserted in his foot shortly afterwards.

Then, in November, scans revealed Giles' navicular had not healed and required a bone graft.

Now, just weeks after his 20th birthday, the South Australian has three running sessions on grass and is three weeks away from participating in training drills with his teammates.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-29/late-mail-live-round-nine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back