Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

He's continuing his career of underachievement.
On ability probably a B grader but with his lack of discipline he's much worse, I'm thankful that our club has sent the talented flakes packing.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Obviously rankings are subjective but I consider only genuine matchwinners to be A Graders.
Imo Yarran hasn't ever shown that ability, rather - he can be good complimentary if he pulls a finger out.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

On ability he is an A grader all the way...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I agree. He has pace and skill and he isn't always gutless. He can win a game of his own efforts.
But the question I have is simple: have we already seen his best football? Granted that he is a pretty laid back character, but is his life style and attitude catching up with him?
I have become comfortable with him being elsewhere: we need guys with talent, yes, but also with the hard heads and the desire to overcome adversity. We weren't get that last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't the only one in the team, from memory there were only two Anglo lads in the Southern Districts team.
I haven't seen any Territory footy this season, but when I did there was a distinct lack of non-Aboriginal players in quite a few teams. The Tiwi team had one or 2 token whites, for example. A couple of the stronger clubs seemed to have more than others. Don't know what that really says, except that Darwin is one of the most multicultural cities in Australia, and that as one with more aboriginals than most, that they really make the comp their own.

I haven't seen any Territory footy this season, but when I did there was a distinct lack of non-Aboriginal players in quite a few teams. The Tiwi team had one or 2 token whites, for example. A couple of the stronger clubs seemed to have more than others. Don't know what that really says, except that Darwin is one of the most multicultural cities in Australia, and that as one with more aboriginals than most, that they really make the comp their own.
That last bit sounds contradictory, but many immigrant groups are poorly represented in Aussie Rules as yet: Darwin is no exception to that. However, the aboriginals there love the game and have made it their own. Good on them: it is good for them as a group to see positive role models. However, I'm not sure Relton is one any longer: he's more like 2 of them together. And with the relative lack of pressure there (compared to the rigid lifestyle required now in the AFL), they seem to prosper.

Getting back to Yarran, that rigid professional life style that is imposed on players now may be one of the reasons he has stagnated. After all, we have all heard about him coming back to training with a spare tyre or 3 around the middle. Once guys like him could get away with that. Not possible any more.

Jordan Mcmahon for Callan Ward 2.0

Yarran continuing the tradition of Richmond being dudded in trades with Carlton.

You are forgetting Grigg, he's a "superstar" according to the Richmond board*.

*in fairness he did get picked on the wing in the seagulls team of the century

His body is the issue. Constantly breaks down. Has a history of soft tissue injuries and isn't the hardest trainer either. Could be a smart move to trade someone on 500k. Does anyone know if ninthmond is paying his entire contract?

Funny thing is Richmond supporters boasting saying how pathetic we are!
Yet we have still made and won finals during the worst 14 years of our history.
Something they can only dream of.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him decline, and I'm saying that as someone who was more than happy to retain him had a deal not been struck.

The least Yaz could have done was get himself fit before the beginning off pre-season; show his new club he was ready for a fresh start. He could have been enthusiastic, shown some initiative, been proactive and shown the Richmond faithful he was prepared to put in.

The thing is, being in a new environment is more likely to cripple the bloke. Over the years as a Carlton player his efforts were always conditional, he always seemed on the back foot with his match fitness and he wouldn't perform while the team was losing - all hallmarks of a downhill skier.

The weight of expectations is now bigger; having exited a pre-existing contract to join a side on the fringes of the Top 4. His role is pivotal to success and he's going to have to prove his past season was something of an anomaly.

The other factor is, his departure was completely congenial and his request for a trade suited our off-season agenda accordingly. Could anyone see Yaz buying into any of Bolton's mantras? His behaviour in 2015 indicated how little he cared for team unity and while many blokes were putting in knowing they wouldn't be rewarded, he sulked it up, played abysmally and dismally let the team down.

You could sugarcoat it at the time - but it was heinous watching him embarrass both himself and the club. Seriously caustic, corrosive stuff.

Watching blokes like Cripps, Docherty and Curnow play last year further highlights the polarities in mindset.

I think he could still come good for Richmond but he's already got a lot of ground to make up for Richmond, and a lot will have to do with his attitude and whether he can take on the extra responsibility and really propel himself. History suggests he's just not the most willing, committed and uncompromising bloke out there and a lot of bad habits are going to have to be undone.

Just quietly too; David Cuningham has looked fantastic over the pre-season and hasn't put a foot wrong.

Going to be an interesting one for both Tiger and Blues fans to watch over the coming years.

In all seriousness, it's disappointing that he's injured, but it's not his attitude or his work ethic that is the problem since he's come over, because by all accounts he's been putting his all into training. Unfortunately it's those calf/hamstring issues that have flared up, which can happen to any player.

I still expect him to be a very important player for us in 2016, but no doubt this setback is a blow. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back