Past player - David Wirrpanda (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite player of all time.

Never had a go at the umpires, never did anything untoward on or off the field and never looked to take the spotlight for himself.
Came to the club as a 16 year old from rural Victoria and stuck it out despite opportunities to go back home.
Set up a successful foundation while he was still playing, committing to help others rather than pursue the usual temptations of footy lifestyle and money.
An absolute joy to watch playing and from all accounts an absolutely ripper bloke and teammate. My mum had the opportunity to do some consultation work for the foundation a few years ago and had nothing but great things to say about David and the work of his foundation.

Can't think of many footy players that deserve as much respect. One of the best role models the AFL has ever produced.

without taking anything away from Wirra, he's a champion of the game without doubt but I reckon the 44 is in pretty good hands even now ;)

Absolute champion & legend on & off the field! Love this bloke!

Not even worrying about his ability as a footballer, he is one of the greatest people that has graced our club. An inspirational person, great guy and incredibly humble.

On the field he was an absolute gun. One of my (and probably one of just about every West Coast Eagles fans') most favourite players of all time and looked like he had so much more time with the ball than any other player. Even when it was wet, he made it look like it was a dry player.

I rarely post on here...

One of the last players that Debuted as a 16 or 17 year old. Its easy to see why. It didnt seem right Throwing a 16 year old to the deep end in what is a tough career as an AFL footballer. Im glad that the AFL put up the minimum age to 18.

A very good player overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched that as well and was coming here to post. IS Wirra one of the most underrated eagles players?
Not by Eagles fans I do not think. Maybe by the other siders, but that is nothing new. Never heard a person have a bad word to say about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back