Past Kane Lucas

Remove this Banner Ad

Has had a very strong preseason campaign and all but assured himself of a spot in the senior side come round 1.

Kane hasn't had the best time over the past 18 months or so but seems to be over the issues which were holding him back.

There is no doubt that certain aspects of his game need improvement but that will come in time. That he is now finding some continuity in his game is a huge bonus and provides a platform from which he can really launch into season 2013.

Genuinely excited about Kane's prospects for this season. A new coach and an injury free run will give him the confidence he needs to really get himself up and going - and if he does that I have no doubt he can become a regular contributor for us at AFL level.

Really looking forward to how he goes this season.

I don't want to sound like I am knocking Lucas, as I have high hopes for him, but he needs to work on his decision making. He did alot of good thinks Friday night but there is plenty of room for improvement.

On a few occasions he would be under pressure and do a loopy handball that sat in the air, and one of his team mates would have to sit under it and be tackled almost straight away. These obviously show up as an effective disposal but realistically they are the same as a turn over. Needs to work on faster hands, and direct handballs, not loopy ones.

Apart from that he has a good game and should have locked in a round 1 spot.

I don't want to sound like I am knocking Lucas, as I have high hopes for him, but he needs to work on his decision making. He did alot of good thinks Friday night but there is plenty of room for improvement.

On a few occasions he would be under pressure and do a loopy handball that sat in the air, and one of his team mates would have to sit under it and be tackled almost straight away. These obviously show up as an effective disposal but realistically they are the same as a turn over. Needs to work on faster hands, and direct handballs, not loopy ones.

Apart from that he has a good game and should have locked in a round 1 spot.

Absolutely, the one that stood out for me was spill out the back of a pack with a quick hack outside of defensive 50 with quite a few metres between him and the nearest opponent...went straight to opposition to be rebounded back. I'd put that down to not being use to the tempo of the top level. If he's still doing this after 6-7 rounds, I'd be concerned.

Lucas, Bell, and any talented youngster all have to get over the same thing before they become serious regulars.

the same thing is noobie-itis. Noobie -itis is a natural phenomenon seen in players who have the talent but don't have the big tick yet. They try hard and do things at a hundred miles an hour wanting very much to impress. The problem is that their mission is to impress the Coach with THEIR actions - unfortunately too often THEIR actions are 90% of the focus and the IMPLICATIONS of their actions are 10% of the focus - they are playing for themselves and dont see what they do in tehe context of what the team needs at that moment...or any other given moment - because they are charging at 100 miles an hour and when they hit a stop light - they haven't thought enough about what next - and worse their team mates don't know WTF they are going to do anyway....

SO Bell busts a tackle and kicks a floater to no one - or Lucas makes a great run and kicks a floater - to no one...some of our more experienced players are still demonstrating these silly noobie-itis actions: Robinson has brain fades, Walker is trying way too hard to be a super star - when all he needs to do is fit in with a couple of his team mates...Yarran has been guilty of over running with ball in hand - to nowhere and no one all too often..Garlett has been guilty of not getting behind the ball and missing goals show boating from in front ....Rowe misses a sitter from in front, Simpson has forgotten how to kick goals from 20 meters out - Walker is more cocnerned with a specky grab than presenting a leading option...

That is where structure and discipline kick in - that is what Malthouse is focussing on - play withing a team structure play disiciplined footie and work for the team.

Carlton is heavily invested in super star looking players - a lot of whom are either too light , too small or too squibby to put themselves behind the ball or work hard for the team - these types dont and cant get the Club into a top4 flag winning position - until they get fair dinkum. That is why I am not expecting miracles this year - just steady improvement as Malthouse either develops the right mindset or weeds out the show ponies who aren't really good enough to be team players - one by one.

That's a bit silly, Yarran has runs on the board when it comes to foot skills. Everyone knows he's better than that.
That's the issue though, if he is better than that then why is a player with his skill playing that way. Lack of interest or still coming to grips with a defensive game plan?

That's the issue though, if he is better than that then why is a player with his skill playing that way. Lack of interest or still coming to grips with a defensive game plan?

Some players tend to not extend themselves too much throughout the preseason campaign. Over the past few years we've had a few of these types - Gibbs & Yarran being the main two. They tend to cruise around and wait for the real stuff to begin before they start to exert themselves.

I'm certainly not concerned with Yarran at this stage. If he's still playing in this way a few weeks into the season then there's something to discuss but until then I don't think we should bother.

His decision making is atrocious and it doesnt gel with the rest of the team. He balks and hesitates until he runs himself into a dead end then pops up a kick or handball forward, or sometimes he does the opposite and panics and just throws it on the boot. This is all on the half back flank. However if you get him on the end of things in the forward line he seems to be able to finish well. I just dont find him to be a team player as strange as that might sound. I reckon he will be traded come years end.

West Coast will probably snap him up for a pick in the 20's. Im happy to be proven wrong, but hes got this year to prove himself. Malthouse is not going to put up with turnovers as devistating as clear as what he gives up, and he strikes me as the Grigg type who has that air of arrogance where he will just say bugger it ill go and play somewhere else then, and also seems like the type that will head back to Perth cas its his home but also because he will be treated like a superstar.

His decision making is atrocious and it doesnt gel with the rest of the team. He balks and hesitates until he runs himself into a dead end then pops up a kick or handball forward, or sometimes he does the opposite and panics and just throws it on the boot. This is all on the half back flank. However if you get him on the end of things in the forward line he seems to be able to finish well. I just dont find him to be a team player as strange as that might sound. I reckon he will be traded come years end.

West Coast will probably snap him up for a pick in the 20's. Im happy to be proven wrong, but hes got this year to prove himself. Malthouse is not going to put up with turnovers as devistating as clear as what he gives up, and he strikes me as the Grigg type who has that air of arrogance where he will just say bugger it ill go and play somewhere else then, and also seems like the type that will head back to Perth cas its his home but also because he will be treated like a superstar.
everyone is entitled to their opinion, and i respect that.
but I don't agree with you. you make it sound like he is the worse player on our team when he is far from it.
don't know if you've met the bloke but I have and he is a a real nice kid, none of that arrogance that you have said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CthJb.png

Massive, ginormous, humongous call...

Simmo is an absolute ripper, a wafer-thin, relentless gut runner who puts himself where many other more solid men fear to tread; would be beside myself if Sugar got to that level.
Re-reading my post, I may have gotten a wee bit excited...

I do agree with you. But a man can dream about Sugar.

:eek:

yeah because the rest usually make such awesome decisions and follow with such expert skills

Hopefully he really comes on this year. Definitely has talent so hopefully everything clicks together for him.

A few years ago, a lot of people were bagging some lightweight girly looking footballer from Collingwood who had all the talent in the world but had some serious yips with his decision making and kicking. After a couple of years of selected tutoring from Mick, that guy is now one of the filths better players...

And quite a few of us are hoping that we will end up picking him up as a free agent this year.

And he still gets called Daisy...

Lets see what Mick can do this year with Sugar because I think that he wasnt given enough of a chance to recover properly after his injuries in his first season and was left to stagnate over the last 2 years instead of being developed properly. He has acknowledged that he had some issues with his running at the highest level and that those issues caused some of his injuries and now he is at the point where he is over it and he can start going forward again.

Give him the game time (his 34 possessions prove he can get hold of the ball easily enough) and I reckon that at the end of the year, we wont even be thinking of picking up Daisy as a free agent because Kane, and be extension Gibbs with his move to the midfield, will be much better for the year in the seniors.

And anyone thinking that Scotland is just going to walk back into the side at Kane's expense, needs to realise that is it up to Scotland to force his way back into the side rather than just being a walk up starter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back