Essendon Player Profile

davi.jpg

THE ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
Height: 189cm
Weight: 82kg
Date of birth: 23/12/1992
Previous Club(s): West Adelaide
Recruited From: 2010 National Draft, selection 64

Recruited from West Adelaide, Davis is a medium defender with above average speed and power, and remarkable endurance. Has the ability to take a strong mark overhead and averaged nine disposals a game during the under-18 championships at an impressive 78 per cent efficiency rating.

Essendon Player Profile

Player Quiz

Link

New recruits spill the beans...
Tuesday, 23 November 2010
Staff writers for essendonfc.com.au

This week we caught up with our five new Bomber recruits - Dyson Heppell, Ariel Steinberg, Alex Browne, Michael Ross and Luke Davis - to get a greater insight into some of the things you wouldn’t know about our new draftees.

1. What are your pre-game superstitions? I go very quiet and keep to myself. I also rock up 15 minutes early
  2. Favourite holiday destination: Riverland
  3. Best player you’ve seen: Dustin Fletcher
  4. Team you grew up supporting: Adelaide
  5. My nicknames include: Big Bird
  6. Winning goal in soccer World Cup final or winning runs in cricket World Cup final: Goal in Soccer
  7. Screamer in the goal square or torpedo from 60 metres: Screamer
  8. Best gift I’ve received: My mate’s baseball cap
  9. Favourite movie: Shawshank Redemption
  10. If I could chat with one person for an hour it would be: Jessica Alba
  11. My worst habit is: Biting my nails
Link

Re: 27. Luke Davis

Another profile and questionnaire from before the draft.

Link

Luke Davis
10:32 AM Sun 10 Oct, 2010
davis_lukex.jpg

Bio: Medium defender with above average speed and power, and remarkable endurance. Can also take a mark. Nine disposals a game during the under-18 championships at an impressive 78 per cent efficiency rating.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
I'm a versatile tall key position defender who has the ability to run through the midfield and forward line position. I have a big motor and high work rate, good leadership skills on and off the field, and am a team-first player who is as competitive as they get.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
I like to think I play like Sam Fisher, Brian Lake and Harry O’Brien with their ability to read play with precision, knowing when to spoil and mark, break the lines with purpose and be rarely beaten. I aspire to be as good as they are.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
My strengths as a footballer are my big motor and work rate, leadership skills, good clean hands in aerial contests, mindset to always put the team first and my ability to read the play, knowing when to spoil and mark. My love for the game is also a strength for me.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
To take my game to the next level, I need to work on my tackling, speed, left-foot kicking and become stronger in the hips and legs.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I go for the mighty Adelaide Crows because my family follows them and I’m a true South Australian.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
There have been many who have influenced my football career including my family, friends, teachers, every coach I have ever had and the West Adelaide Football Club. But the biggest would be the late Corey Siemers who had the same dreams and aspirations as me but his life was cut short by a tragic car accident. I'm doing it for him and myself!

Link

Highlights video

[YOUTUBE]b_cpddu4vZs[/YOUTUBE]

Luke played in one of the NAB Cup matches but had a quite night.

First game - Stats against Brisbane
One of the few young Bombers not to get amongst it
3 possessions
DT Score: 10
SC Score: 29

Fanfooty Profile

Hirds thoughts on the new recruits after Round 1 of the NAB Cup:

Link

Hird praises Bombers' fight
Martin Boulton February 20, 2011
svHIRD-420x0.jpg

Hird said there was also ''lots of terrific efforts'' from the new players on the list. ''Alex Browne, [Michael] Hibberd, [Dyson] Heppell, [Luke] Davis and [Josh] Jenkins all got a touch of the footy and I really liked the way they seemed to fit into football pretty easily.
''There's four or five guys we're confident will play senior footy for us this year and that was the most pleasing side of the individual aspect for me.''

Full article

Luke Davis has been named for the qualifying final of the NAB Cup against Melbourne.

Re: 27 Luke Davis

A few comments on his first game for Bendigo:

Link

After playing in the first round of the NAB Cup, defender Luke Davis and ruckman Josh Jenkins impressed for Bendigo, and Grant suggested both would be in calculations for an AFL call-up in the home and away season.

“Luke’s got a terrific attitude and is always wanting to learn and improve every day he’s at the club. I’m sure at some stage this year he’ll be vying for senior selection,” Grant said.

Link

Name: Luke Davis

Sportsperson (other than AFL) you love to watch the most: Dwight Howard

Coach’s favourite saying: “If you fall over you’re running a 400!”

Coach’s pet: Kyle Riemers

Favourite Footy Commentator: Dennis Commetti

Whose autograph did you get as a kid? Mark Dickley

Describe your perfect day off: Sleep in, watch movies all day.

Who inspires you? Friends and family

Best advice received: Don’t let anybody get in the way of your goals and dreams.

What scares you the most? Spiders and snakes

If you weren’t a footballer what would you be? Basketballer

First job held: Working in a basketball canteen

Person you would most like to meet: Michael Jordan

Three things you would like to do after your football career: Travel the world, coach
and start a family.

Greatest non- football achievement: U14 National Basketball Championships 2005

How would your best friend describe you? Funny, loyal and dedicated.

One thing you can’t eat: Anything spicy

What domestic chore do you refuse to do? Make the bed

Which event would you prefer to attend, Olympics or World Cup? Olympics

Essendon listed weight is 92kg btw

With its defence already looking solid for the future, Essendon has bolstered its list of backmen by adding the quick Davis to its ranks. The South Australian is a medium defender and boasts excellent speed and endurance, and can also take a mark. Is smart under pressure and regularly makes the right decision.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/Bendigo-Bomber-season-review-Part-One/8610

These two youngsters were joined by fellow draftee’s Ariel Steinberg and Luke Davis who, incredibly, played every game of the year in semi-key positions at either end of the ground.

With Shinners missing 7 or 8 weeks with a broken arm, Carlisle being called into the seniors, and the likes of Pears and Hooker hardly being available for Bendigo at any stage, Davis did a remarkable job in the defensive half.

Whether fast-tracked by the tutoring of Sean Wellman, the reality of sheer necessity or simply the possession of latent defensive understanding, the extremely solid year enjoyed by Davis should not be underestimated.

One suspects that all of the aforementioned factors played a part in his progress.

On the evidence provided thus far, he is a very cool and calm defender, possessing an ability to take strong defensive marks when the situation calls for it, but also the nous to evaluate when it doesn’t. A versatile height with seemingly good understanding of positioning and patterns of play, the young man was not only able to physically tackle a diverse range of opponents but most importantly had the mental flexibility to stay calm when things were going astray.

None summed up this trait more than the round 8 showdown with Port Melbourne. Davis stood one of the competitions goal-kicking machines, Patrick Rose, in front of a midfield that was gradually overpowered. Rose kicked 6 goals for the afternoon, yet Davis enjoyed just as many one-on-one victories in marking contests and provided some good rebound. The inclusion of both players in their sides “Best” list was illuminating for a player barely out of junior football.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/Bendigo-Bomber-season-review-Part-One/8610

I thought he'd be a flop (if you can be at such a late pick), hope I'm wrong.
I assume that's because he barely made the bf/YT highlights/mock draft ring-around.
Day one he was ahead of Neagle, and went ahead of Tyson Slattery by the end of the year. Those guys both played seniors; and hell some people still rate Neagle (even after 5 years of doing nothing at either level...)
So, for mine, that puts him firmly in the lofty 'not complete dud' category.

I think saladin's point was a good one: every single one of the kids we drafted at least stepped up and was at least capable in VFL seniors most of the year. Can't be under-estimated; we are doing well with our later picks (and, arguably, with our earlier ones as well)

I did notice though, in the NAB Cup, he was already directing traffic. Good signs.
After 1 pre-season he picked that up; McVeigh's been here for 12 and still doesn't do it. Freak!

Nah, McVeigh tells others to mind his man while he's out of position, leaving another person free.

Great leader.

He's from the Kevin Sheedy School of Misdirection and Obfuscation.

It's just that he forgets that those practices are strictly not to be applied on the field, to your own teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume that's because he barely made the bf/YT highlights/mock draft ring-around.

hahah i decided to try to find some of the write ups about him in the mock drafts and so forth and i didn't find his name mentioned once. seems every post featuring 'luke davis' is actually a post about luke rounds and leon davis

hahah i decided to try to find some of the write ups about him in the mock drafts and so forth and i didn't find his name mentioned once. seems every post featuring 'luke davis' is actually a post about luke rounds and leon davis
That's because all the mock drafts etc boil down to about 6 real watchers and 43896034987346 people copying + pasting furiously with one hand, and their other hand busy with YT open in another window

Don't catch any of those 6 people's eyes = "DUD".

Now how many people do you think make up Essendon's (hell, any club's) network?

Hooker was a smokey. Hardingham a smokey. Ross was a smokey. Davis was a smokey. Steinberg a (really big) smokey, and the only one that we've really paid significantly for.

FWIW I thought Browne and Ross would be steals.

Browne showed a bit in the NAB Cup, not much in the AFL season.

I really, really liked what I saw of Ross in his two (?) games.
One of Ross' games he played less than a quarter.
All three have a bit to work with IMHO. Again, starting from a base of good VFL performer is a good thing.

Ross's activation against Sydney was probably the most delayed sub until Fasolo in the first qualifying final.

But yeah, I really liked what I saw against Collingwood. First touch was awful, but not his fault - everything else was pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing more of the 2010 draftees next year.

Expected absolutely nothing of Davis and Ross and have been pleasently surprised by both. Davis looks to be a guy that may not rack up touches but gets the job done. Ross' debut against Collingwood I thought was top notch.

Having said that, I'll take Browne. His performances were a little more inconsistent, but to me he just has the little bit of X-factor, that "power running" through the centre of the ground which we greatly lack (FYI something I believe Winderlich is extremely good at). Also a lot taller than I realised. Good hopes for this kid. Don't want to go early, but cannot fault our recruiters the past few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back