Retired Beau Maister

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the big fella.
Was almost a champ but you couldn't knock his effort and attack on the ball and man.
Flew the flag for his team mates as well. Put his body on the line. Well done Beau. Served us well.
Good luck back in WA.

I learnt a long time ago when doing my coaching qualifications, that success for a sportsman is achieving more than expected with what you have. To me Jason Blake for example is a successful sportsman, arguably moreso than a premiership player who never reached an obvious potential.
Maister to me is a success. He was a top WAFL player, who gave the AFL a crack but came up short. I am convinced his eyesight, depth-perception, hand-eye coordination or all 3 are deficient (and some of the pics of him provide a little evidence as often only 1 eye or neither are looking at the ball in flight). Yet he worked his rear off all the time.
Not only that but you can tell what a person is like and what they are like as a teammate, when you see other player's reactions to them during a game. The team used to always be up and around Beau any time he did something positive. Roo clearly liked playing with him. The playing staff were all rooting for him when he got chances. That shows he must have been the type who puts in the effort and tries his heart out, where everyone wants them to cut a break.
I also have always cheered for those players who, even at the start of a game, look like they've just done a lung-breaking preseason run.

Hope he gets another good year or two back in WAFL and enjoys his twilight years as a player.

Last edited:
I learnt a long time ago when doing my coaching qualifications, that success for a sportsman is achieving more than expected with what you have. To me Jason Blake for example is a successful sportsman, arguably moreso than a premiership player who never reached an obvious potential.
Maister to me is a success. He was a top WAFL player, who gave the AFL a crack but came up short. I am convinced his eyesight, depth-perception, hand-eye coordination or all 3 are deficient (and some of the pics of him provide a little evidence as often only 1 eye or neither are looking at the ball in flight). Yet he worked his rear off all the time.
Not only that but you can tell what a person is like and what they are like as a teammate, when you see other player's reactions to them during a game. The team used to always be up and around Beau any time he did something positive. Roo clearly liked playing with him. The playing staff were all rooting for him when he got chances. That shows he must have been the type who puts in the effort and tries his heart out, where everyone wants them to cut a break.
I also have always cheered for those players who, even at the start of a game, look like they've just done a lung-breaking preseason run.

Hope he gets another good year or two back in WAFL and enjoys his twilight years as a player.

quality post! :)

seriously good post!!!! you cant begrudge wilkes...gave it his absolute all. i wish some of our other past and present players had the same endeavor.

he will play for claremont, who need a KPF. he'll do well IMO if the tiges can address their midfield issues

seriously good post!!!! you cant begrudge wilkes...gave it his absolute all. i wish some of our other past and present players had the same endeavor.

he will play for claremont, who need a KPF. he'll do well IMO if the tiges can address their midfield issues
Agree he is definitely good enough still to be a quality WAFL player or play in a country team and be a 100+ goal full forward.

As I live in Perth, I get to watch some of the WAFL games, and I always watch Claremont when they are on TV. Beau Maister is one of the better players in the WAFL. His marking and goal kicking are much cleaner and more precise than I can ever recall from his Saints days. One grab mark, leads well, kicks well, is a complete KPP. Amazing difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back