Past Matthew Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Found Watson's second half more disappointing than his first. Looked more comfortable at CHB than deep, but he seems to run out of juice quickly. Probably one of the biggest 20 year old KPP around at 100 kgs. Really needs to trim down and do a stack more running. Watto didn't run a 13 or 14 beep and a good time trial like Josh Kennedy, Jesse Hogan, Kreuzer and Lachie Henderson. That's elite for talls.

Picks of the draft: Matthew Watson
His running right foot jump (73cm) was better than his left (57cm) and his 2.98 second sprint time suggested he's not as sluggish as some have thought. Watson did a level 12.11 beep test, 11.14 minutes for the three-kilometre time trial and his repeat sprint time of 24.78 seconds (for six 30-metre sprints) put him inside the top 40 players tested. He had the third biggest handspan at the combine (25.2cm).
Picks of the draft: Matthew Watson

Needs to work on his desire and intensity. Hurley is a one paced tall (similar speed to Kreuzer ) who appears to relish body contact if he's playing back.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-04/pears-heads-tall-targets

Watson was the No.18 pick in the 2010 national draft but after playing 11 games in his first two seasons, has not been able to break into Carlton's team this year.

He turns 21 this month and has work to do on his one-on-one contests but has attracted some interest from opposition clubs.

If we get a reasonable offer (won't be anything special though), he'll be traded for sure.

Reports suggest he performed pretty well on the weekend on Gumby in the VFL. Limited him to 1 goal and had 17 touches, including 8 intercept marks. Anyone see the game?

Reports suggest he performed pretty well on the weekend on Gumby in the VFL. Limited him to 1 goal and had 17 touches, including 8 intercept marks. Anyone see the game?
The reports are correct. I thought he was our best player. Totally destroyed Gumby, which was a bloody good effort given how much ball the Bombers had in their F50. He backed himself to mark when in a good position & to spoil when not in a position to mark. Probably the best game he's played this season when matched up on a tall forward.

The reports are correct. I thought he was our best player. Totally destroyed Gumby, which was a bloody good effort given how much ball the Bombers had in their F50. He backed himself to mark when in a good position & to spoil when not in a position to mark. Probably the best game he's played this season when matched up on a tall forward.

My only concern with this: was he playing to impress Mick, or to impress the Essendon recruiting staff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to get his act together soon. Will be gone if he doesn't.

Don't agree with this. You don't put 3 years of development into a KPD to then give him the flick.
Gotta give him another couple of years at the very least to see what more development he has in him.

Don't agree with this. You don't put 3 years of development into a KPD to then give him the flick.
Gotta give him another couple of years at the very least to see what more development he has in him.
Lifted on the weekend. Needs to keep it up.

Speed issues are not what you want as a KPD.

Watson takes opportunity
"It's great to have had the trust of the Coach and to have been a part of tonight's team."

Carlton Coach, Mick Malthouse said that Watson was given an opportunity to step-up and he didn't disappoint.

"He played a fairly strong game, a game that we needed and we relied upon."
Watson takes opportunity

Watson taking his opportunities

The 21-year-old took several strong marks and kicked a goal, in what was just his 15th AFL game - and his fourth match for Carlton this season.
Watson says he believes it was discipline and hard-work, that saw him promoted from the VFL.
"I'm just trying to play consistent footy - do everything the coach tells me to do and hopefully I can finish the season off in the seniors."

Watson taking his opportunities

Starting to look like he belongs at senior level.

Clearly gaining confidence by the week and his comfort levels are increasing as well.

Can seriously play.

Kicked a monster goal against Fremantle on the weekend.

Will we see many more of these or will it be enormous kick-outs?

Either way I'd like to think Matthew Watson will be an integral part of the CFC in the future.

A real shame for Watson to have his season cut short by injury.

Developing nicely and was really starting to look comfortable at senior level. Was holding his own at senior level, showing terrific signs at both ends of the ground.

Hopefully this injury is only a relatively minor one allowing him a full preseason in preparation for 2014. Would not surprise in the slightest should we see him as a regular senior contributor in 2014.

Watson commits to Carlton
Watson was due to come out of contract at the end of this season, but Carlton re-signed him for the next two years following his promising form over the past five rounds.

Watson earned a recall in round 16 after working hard on the balance of defence and attack in his game, and on his acceleration off the mark.

"I got caught on the lead a few times by my opponent and it was just a matter of doing a lot of work on my speed (and) acceleration during training," Watson said. "That's improved and it's helped me get a game."
Watson commits to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back