Past Mitch Robinson

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mitch Robinson

Robbo played in the midfield almost the entire intra club game and showed some great signs. He regularly was underneath the packs and shuffling out handballs as well as pumping the ball out of a congested situation with a quick kick. His pressure was outstanding making tackle after tackle and his field kicking was generally a pleasant surprise.

His intensity may be key to him becoming a regular midfielder this season and I think he is ready to take that next step.

One thing I would like him to improve on is to remain composed in a tight situation and take the time to make his kicking go to the advantage side of his team mates. Sometimes a quick kick is needed but at times he just throws it on the boot without summing up the situation.

You may just be a very busy poster here this year BB7.

For now, Mitch gives every indication he'll be in our best 22 and along with that we'll have many highs and certainly a few lows along the way.
No half measures with Mitch, but I only hope he doesn't do himself some serious injury along the way.

That's why I opted to take him, he's in for a big year if he remains injury free as you say.

His real strength is his intensity around the contest and with time in the midfield we will see the full effect of this and his value will really be shown.

Previously he hasn't been it enough to continue to give those 3rd and 4th efforts at a consistent rate but with his new fitness base he should be able to cement a spot in the 22.

Spot on Splenduigan, hopefully that maturity translates to consistant performances on field...his tackling and in and under work could do wonders for us :thumbsu:

Needs to stop bombing it long without thinking though.

Has been training with the midfield group a fair bit apparently, and his endurance is up on previous seasons.

Looks like Mitch will be spending a fair bit of time through the middle of the ground in 2011. Don't think he can make the permanent transition just yet but he could be very effective for us in there.

Sure has been a while since we had a genuine nutter running through the middle of the ground.

Mitch has absolutely no problem getting his hands dirty and finding the ball, and his ball use is sound with shorter disposals. The main issue with Mitch at the moment is that he has a tendency to grab the ball and instinctively punt it long, not necessarily to a target. That's fine when the ball and ground are wet (ie. game vs Melbourne in 2010) but when it's dry that just isn't good enough.

Needs to learn to refine those long kicks and get them to a leading target rather than just hitting and hoping.

Endurance for a midfielder is becoming super important. For someone that goes in as hard as he does, it becomes even more important. That he has been doing a fair bit of endurance work throughout the preseason is a great sign IMO, but he needs to continue to do so if he wants to become a regular midfielder for us. He certainly adds something in the middle of the ground, but it's of very little use if he's only able to do it for 5 mins every quarter.

in a totally non-patronising tone, reckon he's matured a bit young Mitch :thumbsu:

Perfect summary of Mitch's 2011 preseason. We already know he is a gun, but he will impress a lot of opposition supporters this year.

Spot on Splenduigan, hopefully that maturity translates to consistant performances on field...his tackling and in and under work could do wonders for us :thumbsu:

Needs to stop bombing it long without thinking though.

:eek:

audacious...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain to me what's going on with Mitch Robinson's haircut? Just looks like he shaved the back and a spot at the front, and left this off-centre tuft on top. Seems to be half finished, like he had to leave before his stylist had completed his haircut :p

Stylist? Robbo gets his hair done at the Strahan Timber Mill.

Players 'heading' Blues' finals push
''There are no more excuses. It's now,'' he said. ''Second-year blues, you can use that, but I don't want any labels on me, I want to play well this year.

''Sure I have had my problems in the past but this season is clearly an important one. I haven't missed one training session this year and I have had a great pre-season.

''Things have changed. I have a personal mentor in [former Carlton great] Kenny Hunter, and you couldn't ask for anyone better than that.''

'I think it's more player driven, we've experienced it twice, a [finals] loss by less than a kick,'' Robinson said. ''It's not really up to Swanny, we know what we have to do, we really want to win a final … and push forward. It's not driven by them, it's driven by us.''
Players 'heading' Blues' finals push

Nice read.

Sorry about the delay on a report on his game(s), I'm in Sydney at the moment and haven't had a chance to watch the replay again and get a real feel for how he went. Will post on Wednesday/Thursday.

Carlton vs Adelaide - NAB Challenge game

Robbo started in the centre square and performed very well, winning the hard ball, neat disposal and was always providing pressure on the opposition with his tough tackling and reckless attack on the footy.

He is getting to a lot more contests and putting his body on the line. His fitness base has clearly improved as he was able to run out the game and spend a lot of time in the middle. At times though he went to ground too easily and took himself out of the contest which is something I really want to see him improve on. It's all well and good attacking the ball and diving in there but sometimes you need to keep your feet and remain in the contest.

His kicking has definitely improved and he seems to bemore composed with the ball in hand avoiding just kicking the ball for the sake of it like he has in the past. He seems to have slowed his game down a little bit which is great to see because as we know he can tend to get a bit out of control and lose focus. This tends to lead to him getting into trouble and then generally a turn over occurs. He has worked hard on this and it should pay off during the year.

I would like to see him using the first option a little more instead of trying to take on the opposition all the time. Robbo you are not Yarran, you cannot pass by an opponent that easily. By all means he should take the opposition on in close and we all want to see him crashing through a contest but in the open spaces he just doesn't have the pace.

I may sound like I am being too critical but I am looking at ways he can improve and what will make him a consistent performer. He is in the best 22 ATM and should play every game barring injury.

With all that said, I think he was fantastic yesterday and is definitely an improved player. He won plenty of the ball in close, kicked a nice goal and was constantly in the game.

Nice work Robbo.

Carlton vs Adelaide - NAB Challenge game

Robbo started in the centre square and perormed very well, winning the hard ball, neat disposal and was always providing pressure on the opposition with his tough tackling and reckless attack on the footy.

He is getting to a lot more contests and putting his body on the line. His fitness base has clearly improved as he was able to run out the game and spend a lot of time in the middle. At times though he went to ground too easily and took himself out of the contest which is something I really want to see him improve on. It's all well and good attacking the ball and diving in there but sometimes you need to keep your feet and remain in the contest.

His kicking has definitely improved and he seems to bemore composed with the ball in hand avoiding just kicking the ball for the sake of it like he has in the past. He seems to have slowed his game down a little bit which is great to see because as we know he can tend to get a bit out of control and lose focus. This tends to lead to him getting into trouble and then generally a turn over occurs. He has worked hard on this and it should pay off during the year.

I would like to see him using the first option a little more instead of trying to take on the opposition all the time. Robbo you are not Yarran, you cannot pass by an opponent that easily. By all means he should take the opposition on in close and we all want to see him crashing through a contest but in the open spaces he just doesn't have the pace.

I may sound like I am being too critical but I am looking at ways he can improve and what will make him a consistent performer. He is in the best 22 ATM and should play every game barring injury.

With all that said, I think he was fantastic yesterday and is definitely an improved player. He won plenty of the ball in close, kicked a nice goal and was constantly in the game.

Nice work Robbo.

Bloody good summary. Slowing down is not what you would reckon a crash-bang player like Mitch should do but I know exactly what you are saying. First option and less long-bombing are also valid points for him to address.

Carlton vs Geelong - NAB Challenge game

I was hoping that Mitch would continue his good form against one of the best misfields in the comp and I am very happy with how he faired.

He won plenty of the ball and use it surprisingly well again. His kicking was spot on and barely missed a target all day, he was even hitting targets when the degree of difficulty was pretty high. He threw himself at the ball and won a few free kicks for his efforts but still took himself out of some contests.

The big thing that has surprised me in his improvement is his composure with the ball in hand. We no longer see him bombing the ball long at every opportunity (like I said in the Adelaide review) but is lowering his eyes and finding a target and is making the right decisions a lot more than his first few years.

As Splendini said early in this thread, he looks o have matured and this is really shining through in his play with his decision making, composure and ball use becoming a key part in his game.

Another good effort in close has cemented his spot in the first round and he should play mainly in the midfield providing lots of intensity and pressure.

BUMP.

He's really set himself for a good year in the midfield if his preseason games are anything to go by. I hope that he can develop into a consistent and uncompromising (the Carlton word of the year) in and under midfielder who can change a game with his defensive pressure.

Good luck for Thursday Mitch.

The conditions are going to suit Robbo very well tonight and I expecting a huge game from him providing that intensity and toughness in and around the stoppages. He is going to be a big part of this game and we need him to be really switched on.

Rd 1 vs Richmond

19 kicks - 10 handballs - 8 marks - 5 tackles - 9 inside 50's

Well I was impressed with his game but there has been a lot of criticism, a lot of which is unwarranted IMO. He had a career night gathering the most disposals of his career and provided a lot of grunt work around the clearances and IMO used the ball well apart from a few left foot kicks to no where.

He worked well around the clearances and supported his teammates in every contest. He threw his body in and got some handballs out of congested situations which I haven't really seen him do before.

I thought for most of the game he remained composed and used the ball effectively but did blaze away a few times when he had more time than he thought. Again this is something that he needs to work on but it's not as big of a problem as some people are making it out to be. I don't mind him clearing the ball from the center and getting it forward quickly which is the most effective way for to score. The times he blazed away and turned it over would have looked worse through the lack of tall forward options and lack of an actual marking contest.

He will play midfield for most of the year and looked very fit compared to last year. A great start for Robbo and hopefully he can improve on a few things and keep that level of play up for the entire season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back