AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Emma Quayle rated him #20 in this draft

20. Shaun McKernan
(Calder Cannons, 196cm, 94kg)
McKernan will become a very big man. The query’s on where he’ll play
— is he big enough to play in the ruck (he has a great leap) or will he become a better forward? I like him as a forward — his strength is his long
arms, and he instinctively goes for the ball with them stretched up high. His marks tend to stick. He’s not as boisterous as Trengove, he’s a quieter kid, but seems to have some real resolve about him.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/emma-quayles-top-25/2008/11/23/1226770818997.html

Re: ND Pick # 28 - Shaun McKernan - Discussion

I wrote this about McKernan about a month ago:

He possesses fantastic athletic qualities, which makes for a tantalising prospect at his size. He came Top 10 in agility and was second in the vertical leap only to Naitanui. He also has good pace and although he didn't come Top 10 at DC (10th was 2.92) I heard he tested well in that too.

The knock on him is that it's hard to pin him on a position at AFL level. Is he an undersized ruckman? A tall forward? Could he even play down back? His brother was the same height and made a career out of being an undersized ruckman who could go forward, but that was a different time and the game has moved away from the 196cm ruckman. It's definitely something I'm concerned about, but I consider him a tall forward more than anything.

He's a very good contested mark. Strong overhead and uses his vertical leap to his advantage. It's one thing to test well for the leap, but it's another thing to actually use it in a game and that's something McKernan does.

There are many inconsistencies in his game. For as good a mark as he is occasionally he'll spill one for no reason in particular. His best kicks have plenty of penetration and can be damaging, but I wouldn't consider him a particularly good kick. There's just a few too many shanks in there to call him a good kick.

That's his story though really. Great mark, but drops some. Great kick, but shanks too many. His best is excellent, so it's just a matter of his AFL club getting the best out of him. I've heard around the traps that some believe he lacks confidence and isn't fully aware of the talent he possesses and I think this is a pretty plausible argument. Whether that's true or not, I think McKernan is someone who will need a softly softly approach in his first year or two, rather than being thrown in the deep end.

His skills below his knees are good for his size. I wouldn't say it's a stand out feature of his game, but he's above the curve for blokes of his height on the deck.

His agility is the best aspect of his game IMO. If there are confidence issues I don't see it when he's moving in traffic, because he displays the nimbleness of a much smaller and evasive player.

If it all comes together for McKernan he could be an absolute superstar - I don't think there's too many people that would disagree with that. IF is the key word though.

Claiming the big fella as my draft pick this year, so I'll pop a few pics.

Pondering his life as an emo footballer:

161104.jpg

Pretty decent leap when compared to Naitanui - slightly better reach

154666.jpg

Letting Naitanui know who has the better haircut in the draft

154068.jpg

And of course...congratulating then (and now) team mate KITEY!!

18308.jpg

Was reported as being in the top 10% for the agility test, but in fact was more impressive than that, coming sixth:

AGILITY
1 – Stephen Hill (West Perth, WA – small/medium midfielder) – 7.77 seconds – draft camp record
2 – Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons, VIC – tall forward) – 8.03
3 – James Strauss (Oakleigh Chargers, VIC – medium midfielder) – 8.18
4 – Nick Suban (North Ballarat Rebels, VIC – medium midfielder) – 8.25
5 – Ayce Cordy (Geelong Falcons, VIC – ruckman) – 8.27
6 – Shaun McKernan (Calder Cannons, VIC – ruckman) – 8.31
7 – Neville Jetta (Swan Districts, WA – medium forward) – 8.32
Dan Hannebery (Oakleigh Chargers, VIC – small/medium midfielder) – 8.32
9 – Luke Shuey (Oakleigh Chargers, VIC – medium midfielder) – 8.34
10 – Liam Jones (Tassie Mariners, TAS – tall forward) – 8.35

Video:

[YOUTUBE]jxoyHamhHHw[/YOUTUBE]

From Inside Football Magazine;

Shaun McKernan - ruckman, Calder Cannons, VIC
DOB:1/9/90 Ht:196cm Wt:95kg
"Shaun is the younger brother of Corey and is a very similar player in a lot of ways. He's got a massive hands, he's a prodigious kick, quick off the mark and he's one of those players who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Played a lot of good footy for us at centre half back after the national carnival where he controlled the backline and rebounded well. Played in the ruck for Vic Metro and earned All-Australian honours, so he can play in a variety of spots. A very draftable player with all the attributes to have a long and distinguished AFL career."
- Calder Cannons region manager Martin Stillman
Vic Metro rep 2008. All-Australian 2008. From Tullamarine FC.

McKernan ponders brother's fate

COREY McKernan says while his younger brother’s future home remains uncertain it would be nice to see him at a familiar club - such as North Melbourne - where the former Kangaroo played 196 of his 237 career matches.

Shaun McKernan is a member of the Victoria Metropolitan team at this year’s NAB AFL under-18 championships and is considered by many a strong chance to be drafted at the end of the season.

The promising junior is a former basketballer, but has impressed for the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup, and also at representative level.

Corey McKernan, now 34, said players couldn’t control their futures but hinted it would be nice to see his younger brother in familiar colours.

“Oh look, in an ideal world, I mean if you’ve got people that you know there…,” McKernan said at a North Melbourne golf day earlier this week.

“I mean obviously here at the Kangaroos, or there’s a couple of other clubs where you know people, well then that would obviously be the best scenario.

“But you’re in no position to dictate where you’re going to go, so wherever he goes and he gets drafted – if he does – well great.”

McKernan said he had seen his brother play for Victoria Metro earlier this year and had been impressed.

He also helped his younger sibling by going through some of his matches on DVD at North Melbourne’s Arden Street facilities.

However McKernan said from what he had seen of Shaun, who weighs 95kg and turns 18 later this year, he didn’t need too much help.

“I sort of let him go to a degree but if there’s stuff that I can say to him or whatever and help him, then you know you try to help him out,” he said.

“Look, he’s doing a pretty good job on his own at the moment.

“He’s got a really good work ethic and wants to learn.

“I suppose this year, because he did a full pre-season you can see he’s just getting better and better all the time … although the hard work’s only just begun.”

Recently, AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan listed Shaun McKernan as among the standouts of the national championships so far.

Of the younger McKernan, Sheehan wrote for afl.com.au:

“He has been prominent in the ruck with 38 hit outs and 16 marks,” Sheehan wrote.

“Unbelievably like his older brother Corey both in looks and movements at the same age. Has a wonderful leap, good feel for the game, courage and versatility. At 196cm can play forward/back or in the ruck.”

Corey McKernan, while saying the resemblance wasn’t as obvious to him, acknowledged there were similarities.

“I know a lot of people say that… probably in the way that he plays a little bit, in that he plays in the ruck and up forward.”
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62560

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=70520

GROWING up as the youngest sibling of an ex-superstar, new Adelaide recruit Shaun McKernan always knew that stepping out of the shadow was going to be tough.
McKernan, who bears an uncanny on- and off-field resemblance to brother Corey, endured constant comparisons to the dual North Melbourne premiership player throughout his junior career.
But the 18-year-old was confident his first day at West Lakes would be the start of his own long and successful career.
"Obviously, Corey had a good career and so forth. He won two premierships and a Brownlow Medal, almost," McKernan said on Monday.
"He’s always there, anytime I want. I can ask him anything and for the last couple of weeks I’ve been training with him in the gym.
"But I want to make my own name, so I’ve come to Adelaide to try and do that."
Adelaide recruiting manager Matt Rendell was shocked when McKernan was still available at No. 28 and didn’t hesitate to use the club's second pick to secure the Vic Metro ruckman.
McKernan, who at 94kg was among heaviest players taken in Saturday’s NAB AFL Draft, didn’t expect that plying his trade in South Australia – rather than Melbourne – would help soften the links to his older brother.
"A few people have said that to me, that coming to Adelaide [might make it easier] but I guess anywhere I go, he (Corey) was always going to be there," McKernan said.
"When I heard the news, there were a few mixed emotions. I had a few boys over my house to listen to it, so when my name was called I was rapt to be coming here, but you know you have to leave your family and friends behind.
"I was just looking forward to coming here more."
McKernan earned All-Australian honours after a stellar under-18 carnival and backed it up with a strong showing at the NAB AFL Draft Camp in October, finishing second to Western Australia's Nick Naitanui in the vertical jump and sixth overall in the agility testing.
Four of the five players drafted by the Crows on Saturday were over 190cm, with midfielder Rory Sloane the only exception.
Adelaide was thrilled with its intake, having secured five players ranked inside the top 20 of its draft planning.
And coach Neil Craig was confident the Crows had finally addressed their long-standing lack of key forwards.
"We want to keep servicing our forward line and with Phil Davis and McKernan in particular we feel we've done that," Craig told Monday's Adelaide Advertiser.
"Key forwards have been a bit of an issue for us so I'm sure our supporters will be glad to hear that we've got some young forwards who can hopefully grow into those positions.
"We've got some good young ruckmen in (Brad) Moran, (Kurt) Tippett, (Jonathon) Griffin and (Ivan) Maric and now with Tippett, (Taylor) Walker, (Trent) Hentschel and the new younger kids, while it's not an overnight fix – the proof will be when the games start – at least they are now in our system, which is pretty exciting for us."

Re: New Player - Shaun McKernan

Ready made player, was so excited when he was still there out our second round pick. Then we decided to take Post....... Anyway, great pick up.

Re: #2/31/5 - Corey McKernan

youre a stalker CC. Nobody else has gone looking for photos of him. Your the only one. Shaun should get a restraining order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: #2/31/5 - Corey McKernan

Haha, nah I only posted it because I was looking through a friends photography (he does free lance for Getty etc) and found one of SMACK.

You bought that garbage...! CC is a staker, perhaps not in the same obsessive vein as the Commander and Sloane, but a stalker none the less.
No I just posted because after I changed my title in the post to Re: #2/31/5 Corey McKernan the previous post I thought It carried over and I would have to change it back.

Southerntakeover would post in this thread, but he's busy hiding in the boot of van Berlo's car.

Kicked 3.2 on the weekend playing in South's internal trial match aswell as getting 11 hitouts. Not bad game and will definitely be a starter for Souths SANFL season kickoff.

Kicked 3.2 on the weekend playing in South's internal trial match aswell as getting 11 hitouts. Not bad game and will definitely be a starter for Souths SANFL season kickoff.
That's a really good performance from Smack if you ask me :thumbsu:. I am now really looking forward to see him in the SANFL proper this year as well as a possible AFL debut later this year. He should be a solid player for us. Armstrong, Dangerfield and Schmidt also had great matches in the SANFL trials.

That's a really good performance from Smack if you ask me :thumbsu:. I am now really looking forward to see him in the SANFL proper this year as well as a possible AFL debut later this year. He should be a solid player for us. Armstrong, Dangerfield and Schmidt also had great matches in the SANFL trials.
I noticed Schmidt also performed well, i honestly believe he will be elevated off the rookie list if a spot opens up(burton's)or at seasons end . Smack will play i maybe half a dozen games this year depending on Walker and Hentchel's form.

Anyone see the footage of him roughing up Natanui at last year's championships in the Essence of the Game doco? He was an angry young man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back