Traded Rhys Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price        2009            2008            2007       
                        DT     SC     Played    DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
RUCK 28 STANLEY, Rhys   19    0    $94,500    $100,200 0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0

Not that it will surprise anyone greatly but apparently Rhys is the fittest player at the club at the moment.

Looks in really good nick.

Put on a bit more bulk but no so much that he'll lose any athletic ability.

can't wait to see him in action in the NAB cup again

Not that it will surprise anyone greatly but apparently Rhys is the fittest player at the club at the moment.

Looks in really good nick.

Put on a bit more bulk but no so much that he'll lose any athletic ability.

can't wait to see him in action in the NAB cup again

Awesome! hopefully he'll get a big run in the ruck, and we'll see if he's ready to go number 2.

Leave our tread alone!

Tough one, our Rhys.

Height, pace, long kick, huge potential, 20yo, provides cover in the ruck

vs

Confidence issues, injury prone, hasn't impacted yet, still learning the ruck caper

Got a feeling that he's going to step up in 2012. I hope it's with the Saints.

Don't mean to hijack the tread for rhys here.

Just wanted to know his squad status? Honestly. If a fair deal could be worked out would St Kilda consider ?
Really depends what you define as 'a fair deal'. A major factor against is our lack of ruck depth, he is the only developing ruck on our list right now.

That's a fair, and perfectly reasonable offer from a opposition pov when you look at the facts;

Taken in the 40's.
Loads of *pword* that we're still waiting to see.
Hasn't really impacted much in his few senior opportunities.
Struggled with injury in 2010.

But I probably wouldn't take it. Purely due to the years of development we've put in him. Why go back to square 1 with another 18 year old, who may not even be a player due to the shallow nature of the draft? Also too we have a mass shortage in the ruck and KPF's.

He's worth more to us than what the opposition would reasonably offer, if that makes sense.

All IMO of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the good times in NZ something as simple as a shitty attitude might have him out the door. But I wouldn't be chucking him. Anyone as ginormo as Rhys who moves like he does no doubt has a future in AFL. If he takes time, so be it.

Look at Trent West, pretty sure he knocked out Xavier Clarke (remember when X played games? yeah me neither) behind the ball ages ago and only now is getting regular games, think he's up to number 20. He's just been simmering away for 6 years. Now they're reaping the rewards. Jon Griffin is doing things. They take a frustratingly long time to come good, but are well worth it in the end.

Look at Trent West, pretty sure he knocked out Xavier Clarke (remember when X played games? yeah me neither) behind the ball ages ago and only now is getting regular games

He did.

Great example. Sometimes takes a while to get that bulk (without slowing a player down).

If we had a couple of other options for ruck or tall forward I'd say yeah. But given we dont, there is no advantage in trading.
A bit like if you wanted me to swap my 1974 falcon ute, for a new VW Golf. Sure the Golf is nice and does a lot of things well but in the end If I need a ute, the old heap of **** is better.

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

#28 Rhys Stanley

Since he won the 2009 Grand Final sprint we have all expected big things from Rhys Stanley. I remember thinking "Jeez he runs bloody fast for a tall bloke, looks like we might have a star on our hands." In the 2010 NAB Cup he showed flashes of brilliance, bursting away from packs, clunking marks, kicking snap goals. In round nine of that year I was extremely excited to see him named against West Coast. Our skipper was out with the hamstring injury but I had gotten used to having a dominant centre half forward. That coupled with the Grand Final Sprint victory and his NAB Cup performances gave me extremely high expectations of him. He performed about as well as you should expect a 19 year old to perform with 9 touches and 3 marks.

For the rest of his games that season he averaged around the same numbers before being dropped for the returning skipper. This year sadly he has struggled with form and injury. I know that a great athlete doesn't necessarily make a good footballer but I think there's something special about this kid. With Kosi and Roo both pushing 30 and Tommy Walsh leaving to Sydney our KPF stocks don't look very good, but I believe Rhys can kick it up a notch like Jimmy Gwilt and Sean Dempster have the previous two years.

Rhys+Stanley+AFL+Rd+3+St+Kilda+v+Essendon+ko-4QdHVrefl.jpg

After watching Rhys imprive so much in the last 6 weeks, I'm expecting he will finally take that next step this year. He finally looks more relaxed out there on the field.
I was so happy to see him starting in the ruck last weekend. He has regained my faith.

Big year for the kid.

Rhys Stanley #28
In 2011, Rhys Stanley played just the two games at AFL level, kicking one goal, averaging 2.5 hitouts and six disposals.

2012 was poised to be a break out season for Stanley with a new coach at the helm promising to give opportunities to young players.

Stanley played the first eight games of the season, predominantly as a forward but also playing a fair amount of time in the ruck.

As a forward, he looked dangerous with his pace on the lead and strong marking ability. IMO, his best game (quarter in this case) as a forward was against Melbourne in round five. In the first quarter, Stanley took six marks and kicked a goal. He played like a true CHF and dominated his opponent. Rain then hit the 'G' and he was quiet for the rest of the game. He was also strong against the Gold Coast as a key forward, taking seven marks and kicking two goals for the game.

In the ruck, his athleticism was a major asset and his tap work was better than McEvoy's. In round six, Stanley was forced to step up following a knee injury to McEvoy. He and Blake shared the worload against Hawthorn before Stanley was made #1 against the Blues. Hampson and Kreuzer comfortably beat Stanley in the hit outs, however Stanley was effective going forward, kicking two goals. The next week against West Coast, Stanley's athleticism was excellent in the ruck against Naitanui despite ordinary statistics throughout in the first quarter. Late in the first quarter though, Stanley's hammy went and put him on the sidelines for five rounds.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...injured-in-loss-to-eagles-20120520-1yyru.html

Stanley signed a contract extension whilst he was injured, committing to the club for a further three years.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stanley-signs-up-to-stay-a-saint-20120620-20ojr.html

St Kilda took a risk in bringing Stanley straight back into the side against North Melbourne in round 14, despite the impressive form of Beau Wilkes in the VFL. Stanley looked good, gaining 13 disposals and 6 marks until tearing his hamstring again. This was a big setback for Stanley, missing six weeks.

Stanley was selected as an emergency for St Kilda in his first week available, however was a late inclusion for Jason Blake. The match was against round 21 against Geelong. Stanley was quiet until the third quarter where he was involved in collision with Scarlett. Stanley got up and took his shot on goal, but had to go to hospital to check on rib or lung problems.

Fortunately Stanley was cleared of any damage and played the two remaining games of the season without starring but also not playing poorly.

Ultimately, 2012 was a season of frustration, but also promise. He finally delivered some of his potential, but did not have the chance to have a complete break out season. Looking forward, it is important that Stanley gets continuity in his game, I strongly believe that if he has a full season without injuries he could become one of if not the best forward/rucks in the comp. I see him playing more time up forward than in the ruck again next year which is where I think he will establish himself.

Rhys Stanley statistics 2012
Games: 12
Goals: 11
Behinds:14
Kicks: 82
Handballs: 39
Marks: 56
Tackles:23
Hitouts: 74

images

http://phoenixmanagementgroup.com.a...nley-roaming-tall-seeking-permanent-placement

Rhys Stanley doesn’t just want to make up numbers as a tall player who drifts in and out of St Kilda’s backline.

Having trained with the backline for much of the summer, as well as working with defensive coach Danny Sexton and former Saints’ backman Max Hudghton, he’s got the basics down pat.

"I’ve just got to make sure I don’t just develop and can play [the role], but I can play it well,” Stanley told AFL.com.au.

“That’s what I’m doing now, trying to really hone in on it and learn the ins and outs of both positions.”

The other position he’s talking about is in the forward line, with the development of Ben McEvoy and the recruitment of Tom Hickey – who has just played the one game so far – meaning he expects to be used as a ruckman “more sparingly”.

“I enjoy being anywhere on the field. Playing in defence is new and exciting and I’m thoroughly enjoying it at the moment.”

“As you develop as a player and get a little bit older and wiser, you start to know what your body is capable of and where your limitations are. I’m getting to know my body and we’re now at a stage where we can manage it."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back