Retired #9: Adam Ramanauskas

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 9. Adam Ramanauskas

Inspirational.

Nothing more, I've lost family to cancer (as I'm sure others who post here have), and seeing him ot there is nothing short of remarkable. It was an honour to be at his first comeback match, and now to witness his second, well I did have a tear in my eye.

A class act both on and off the field, just a pitty that like hird injuries have cruelled us of his best years.

What role do people see Rama taking on in 2008?

Personally, I'd like to see him running off half back and delivering to CHF with his neat skills.

Alternatively, he could well be used as a small defender, a tagger or even an impact player through the centre.

It'll be great to see a fit Rama back running around. You never know, he might surprise us a bit with his output next season.

I might be wrong but wasn't he high up in the B & F in his last full year.

Hopefully he can get back to the form he had in the early 2000s. He could be a real asset for us this year. Not only on the field but giving guidance to the younger guys.

the collingwood v essendon game was on foxtel last night and there were patches of play where you could see rama has just as much class as anybody on our list. if he can get back to his best he will be a very handy addition to our side

the collingwood v essendon game was on foxtel last night and there were patches of play where you could see rama has just as much class as anybody on our list. if he can get back to his best he will be a very handy addition to our side

And it was Rama that sparked us through the midfield in the Carlton game at different times.

He certainly can still play football.

Rama spreading the word in South Africa

2:20 PM Sat 22 December, 2007 |

By Mic Cullen
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

ESSENDON premiership player Adam Ramanauskas is spreading the football gospel in South Africa as the AFL ramps up its push into that country.The 27-year-old is providing expert coaching at an AFL South Africa high-performance training camp in Pretoria.

The camp is the first event of its kind, with 40 young hopefuls from 20 locations across South Africa attending. At least six of those players will be selected to represent the South Africa under-19s when they play a team on the upcoming AFL Indigenous Youth tour of the country next year.

AFL South Africa Head Coach Mtutuzeli Hlomela said it was a great opportunity for the youngsters.
“The chance to play at SuperSport Park in a curtain-raiser to the AFL Challenge match between Fremantle and Carlton has provided great incentive for these young players to try their best over the two-day camp with some encouraging results. We are looking forward to unearthing some new talent to compliment the strong base we already have at under-19 level,” he said.
Ramanauskas said the speed at which the players absorbed the coaching was amazing.

"Look, their skill level is very raw, but there's some kids who have picked it up really fast," he said. "Some of the drills I did with them yesterday, the improvement from start to finish was amazing. Once I demonstrated how to do it, they would just continually do it.
"The kids have been fantastic. I had a full day with them yesterday and their enthusiasm and willingness to learn is just amazing.
"They just love the shape of the ball and the pace of the game.

"I was eating my lunch yesterday and the kids finished early so they were back out on the field, practicing again. They just want to learn.
"It's made my time and my job here so much easier – they just want to learn. They're like little sponges – they just want to learn as much as they can about our game."

The AFL's push into South African continues early next year with Collingwood travelling to the North West Province in January for a training camp in Potchefstroom before heading to Capetown in the Western Province for a community camp.
Then on February 2, Carlton and Fremantle will play an exhibition match at Supersport Stadium in Pretoria after Community Camp visits into the North West Province and Gauteng.

The exhibition match will also feature a curtain-raiser fixture between the AFL under-16 Indigenous team and the South African Youth team as the focus on development continues.
To complete an exciting six months, the AIS-AFL Academy squad will tour South Africa in March/April 2008.

Rama is now and will remain the HEART of the Essendon football club. If any players need inspiration for whatever reason, the don't have to look too far at all. :)

Can anyone recall what Rama was like at the fitness side of football. Like would he be a standout in the 3km, etc. Haven't heard anything about him this pre-season. Does it take a while to regain full fitness after cancer or is Rama just not much of an athlete?

Can anyone recall what Rama was like at the fitness side of football. Like would he be a standout in the 3km, etc. Haven't heard anything about him this pre-season. Does it take a while to regain full fitness after cancer or is Rama just not much of an athlete?

Rama was a very good midfielder, running in between the 50 marks delivering the ball perfectly most of the time.

He has every chance of being a very fit midfielder for season '08

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The forgotten player...

BF carries on about how we lack a superstar midfielder however Rama is that superstar midfielder, such a shame that his best footy was so cruelly taken away from him - alas he is healthy now and that is all that matters :thumbsu:

I still believe that he can be very, very good for us

Rotations will help his cause, plus his ability to play half back and half forward.

His skills haven't dropped at all, neither has his want.
Looking forward to seeing him surprise everyone, myself included.

twice in the last quarter he was outmarked by dal santo and birss which was very costly. i reckon he lost his spot for round 1

Re: Rama

He showed in patches last year that he will again be a very, very good footballer.

He brings a lot of class to our side, and has always been underrated!

He's in my dreamteam midfield and scored 98 today! :)

After a full pre season, he is clearly in our best 22 and with form like today, will play all 22 if fit!

GO RAMA!

rama was pretty solid today. his experience and expertise showed when it counted. congratulations on a good win and good luck to you again this year rama. always been a big fan mate

We have missed his poise and clean skills coming out of defence.

Good to see the inspirational one back playing good footy.

Was absolutely sensational today.

I think his 2004 form, on the back of no Pre-season, clouds people's memories of how good he can be.

He hasn't yet hit the heights of his early 2003 form or his 2002 form, but he's the fittest he's been since then and he'll only get better and better as the season goes on.

Look forward to watching him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back