Traded Patrick Karnezis (2011-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick #25 in the 2010 National Draft

Player Number 211230, Oakleigh Chargers

Trade history: Collingwood traded pick #25 to the Gold Coast in exchange for Andrew Krakouer and Jonathan Ceglar. The Gold Coast then traded pick #5, pick #25, pick #27 and Rohan Bewick to Brisbane in exchange for pick #10, pick #48 and Jared Brennan.

edit_preview.php

Summary:

* soccer background (#4)
* Greek heritage (#52)
* debut: round 13 vs Richmond (#99)
* Troy Selwood presents him with his number 28 guernsey (#106)
* goals with his first two kicks (#120)
* 'singlet' (#157)
* mummy's boy (#219)
* 2011 review (#237)
* round 10 Syd Guildford nominee (#334)
* 2012 review (#428)

Contract Status: -> 2013

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2011: 21st (7.5 votes)
2012: 2 votes

Coaches' votes:

Tribunal Record:

Re: Patrick Karnezis

Draft prospect to utilise soccer smarts

Karnezis played eight games (excluding finals) for Oakleigh in the 2010 TAC Cup, booting 28 goals and averaging 19 disposals, 54 per cent of them contested.

Sheehan noted Karnezis' ability to play as a second or third tall forward and as a defender made him similar to Carlton swingman Jarrad Waite.

''Patty's got some of that freakish ability about him. He's certainly got great hands,'' Sheehan said. ''When the ball gets into his area, whether it's a ground ball or over his head or to his side, he just doesn't fumble.

''He's also a great set shot for goal. He's got a great technique and looks very composed and balanced.''

''The creativeness is something that stands out with him. He sets up the game, and that may well come from soccer,'' Sheehan said.

TAC+Cup+Rd+3+Chargers+v+Cannons+eHRc4KJ8px5l.jpg

I was going to post a link to his Draft Watch thread, but all it contained was that same article. Could be the Redden of this year... Definitely good to hear both Pat and Ryan can play both ends of the field.

I wrote this in my post some time back assessing our draft options.

Karenzis I like because of the type of player he is. Unselfish, skilful, brings others into play, team orientated, hard to match up, he is 191cm utility that can play the Mundy type role or the Fyfe type position, or the Brennan type thrown in the centre. Can even see him as a CHF with some physical development. Again a versatile player that provides us with options.

Steve Conole (Oakleigh Chargers regional manager)

"Patrick enjoyed a fantastic start to the year and was our best player through the first rounds. He played metro and school footy and was battling illness late in the season so didn't finish off as healthy and fit as he would've liked," Conole said.

edit_preview.php

Snoop Dog

# 52 (PORT POWER)
Patrick Karnezis – Oakleigh / 191cm / 77kg

Profile : Patrick is one of those guys that everyone rates a little higher than me and subsequently I have become a bit worried I don’t have him as high as I should. Only been playing a couple of years and plays fwd. Terrific size and stands well over 6ft so he presents as someone that is going to be difficult to match up on when his body fills out and he gets more core strength. Prospective coaches will be drawn to him because he is a very likeable kid and is very coachable. Add to that his ability to play a few different roles then you have someone who could go anywhere because of his potential. Mobility and smarts are his big strengths whilst his kicking and marking are good. Reminds me of Scott Simpson from the ’07 Draft. Only issue for me is his acceleration – doesn’t test as a speedster.
Why Port: Best available and could do with a fwd type like this
Similar to: Jarrad Grant
Draft Range: 30 - 60
Roughie: Jimmi Savage or Jamie Solly

Knightmare

#35 (Port Adelaide) – Patrick Karnezis (VIC)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 23/04/1992
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Steve Johnson/ Alan Didak (taller version)
Range: 24-45
Why: Team focused tall forward who is very comfortable setting up team mates for shots on goal. Can play as a high half forward and provide a strong target there. Strong mark overhead and can kick some tricky goals. Clever lead up forward who has great footy smarts. Deceptively tall and hard to matchup on. Finds space inside 50. Fair bit of upside here and has flown a little under the radar here. Really creative and has previously also played on a wing. Has played a fair bit of soccer and you can tell by the way he plays. Could turn out to be a bit of a Nat Fyfe type selection who could really surprise some people.

foj 1

Pick 57 Geelong Pat Karnezis Vic Metro
Others probably have this bloke going a fair bit earlier however I am pretty comfortable about him landing here. Karnezis at his best is a hard match up. Sneaky tall, good agility and very good overhead. The issue I have with Karnezis is I don’t reckon he handles physical pressure too well at present and really is going to have to attack every contest with vigour. You really can’t pick and choose at AFL level. Saying all that there are things to like about Karnezis and if he can overcome his weaknesses he will be a dangerous swingman at AFL level.

Quigley

Pick 56 Fremantle

Despite the departure of Tarrant, Freo seem pretty settled in the KPD department with the addition of Faulks and although it would not surprise me if they added another player the other end is probably the one that needs attention more. Karnezis is not really a KPF but he is a medium tall who could contribute in the forward line.

Patrick Karnezis
DOB 23/4/92 Ht 191 Wt 77

I have to admit I only have Karnezis in here because I am worried I am missing something. Personally I don’t really rate him and fail to see what all the fuss is about. He is a forward who struggles to get off the ground when he jumps and is really pretty slow. He is pretty good overhead but relies on a far too much on his height which is going to be pretty average even for a HFF at AFL level. In the AFL there are going to be plenty of half backs who are as tall as he is and much much more athletic. One of the things he does very well is time his arrival at the ball. This is something which might work in the AFL. He reads the ball very well in the air and holds up so he arrives at the ball giving his defender very little chance of spoiling the ball. With the ball on the ground he is good and has very clean hands. He is pretty mobile and seems to cover the ground well. Again though I would not say he is elite in either of those areas and I believe that an AFL defender would handle him comfortably.

He is pretty lean and I don’t think he is likely to be a big guy but he has reasonable strength for his size at the moment and you would expect to be able to maintain his relative strength. He is an accurate kick for goal although his style is a little unusual with him seeming to kick a little close to his body and under it slightly. With that said he gets pretty good distance and is fairly accurate so I don’t see any real need to change at the moment. Around the ground he plays on the outside well and gets to space as well as anyone going around. He comes from a soccer background and so has grown up playing a game that’s all about finding space to receive the ball. He has excellent spacial awareness and knows where the players are around him. His kicking is solid and he delivers into 50 pretty well. He started the year very well but ran down as the year progressed and did not finish the year at all well with him supposedly carrying in illness over the last month of the season.

Overall I would not be picking Karnezis where others have him going but I am willing to concede that there could be more to him than I am seeing. To me he looks like a HFF who will struggle to bring his game to the AFL.

2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft

Hawthorn – Pick 38: Patrick Karnezis

Pretty happy with the value Karnezis represents at this stage. Should go top 30 in the real thing.

Karnezis is a team focused tall forward who is very comfortable setting up team mates for shots on goal. Can play as a high half forward and provide a strong target there. Strong mark overhead and can kick some tricky goals. Clever lead up forward who has great footy smarts. Deceptively tall and hard to matchup on. Finds space inside 50. Fair bit of upside here and has flown a little under the radar here. Really creative and has previously also played on a wing. Has played a fair bit of soccer and you can tell by the way he plays. Really value players who have come from a different sporting background and for mine that only adds to his value. Could turn out to be a bit of a Nat Fyfe type selection who could really surprise some people. Allot of upside here and allot to look forward to.

For Hawthorn it would be really interesting how they could co-ordinate Karnezis in combination with Franklin. It would give the side a really different dimension.

Real pure best available pick, and while an interesting one. I like it.

Oakleigh Chargers Football Club

School/Uni: Marcellin AFLTeam:Collingwood
Most Admired Chargers Player: Alex Johnson
What appeals to you about playing football? Team sport
If you didn't play football, what other sports would you pursue? Soccer
Name your ideal dinner guest: Kim Kardashian
What is your favourite holiday destination? Sorrento
Name your favourite TV Show: Seinfeld
Name your favourite song: Baby-Justin Bieber
What is the best football advice you have been given? Go out and just play
If you could take one thing to a deserted island what would it be? Kim Kardashian
What were the reasons you started playing football? Loved the sport
What is your favourite position on the football ground? HFF/FP
Sporting Dream: AFL
Mobile Phone Ringtone: Ring Ring
Most Desired First Car: Mazda
Who influences your football most? Family and Friends

edit_preview.php

Name your favourite song: Baby-Justin Bieber??????

...and Sorrento for favorite holiday destination????:eek:..he's just a boy, he hasn't lived yet.....there's a big world out there Patrick!

His eyes will be popping out when he gets to Brissy and also sees the GC..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rob Kerr

"We're pretty excited to have Patrick because for a tall guy, he's got terrific ground level skills and he can also do a bit in the middle. For a player of his size he moves well and is going to be hard to match up on because he has the overhead skills and also the quality ground-level skills. We hope he might be able to develop and play a little bit up the ground.

"He had a really good start to the year. He probably trailed off a little bit, but at the start of the year he was in top-10-15 draft pick form and that certainly stuck in the mind."

Paul Daffey's Phantom Draft

40. SYDNEY SWANS - Pat Karnezis
Height:
191cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 23/04/92
Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)
Draft range: 30-50
Leading half-forward with a touch of magic who creates opportunities with constant movement and ball sense. He's only committed to footy this year after splitting his affections between the indigenous game and soccer. Could well fill the role of Ryan O'Keefe when the veteran retires.

Paul Daffey Draft Watch

Clever half-forward who thinks his way through attacking moves. Leads up and doubles back. Nice size for a mobile half-forward. Less interested when the opposition has the ball, but there’s plenty to work with.

edit_preview.php

...and Sorrento for favorite holiday destination????:eek:..he's just a boy, he hasn't lived yet.....there's a big world out there Patrick!

His eyes will be popping out when he gets to Brissy and also sees the GC..

I suspect he was talking about Sorrento, in South-west Italy. Stunning place.

Hope he does not turn out to be another Anthony Rocca at the Swans. Wanting to move back to mother's cooking within two years.:(

Bit of a stretch irel...thought I read he made an very positive impression on recruiters at interview, or am I thinking of someone else. Will see less and less of the go home wusses in the future me thinks. (off topic but it that's why it bloody annoys me so much that GC have been able to pick clean the Qlder's in this draft when it was just starting to look feasible for BL to have enough local boys on the lift to somewhat negate the go-home girls. AFL has not really thought of the damage it could do to Bris by giving Coast all these Qlders).

I thought the video footage of him on the AFL site was quite impressive.

A (far) more athletic version of Cornelius was what came to mind, and I can see where the Fyfe comparisons come from.

Hadley obviously rates him highly, which is good enough for me at this point.

Meet the draftees

Patrick has just completed Year 12 at the renowned football nursery Marcellin College, which is located in the traditional Fitzroy zoning area.

Following an outstanding first few matches with the Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup side, Patrick was selected in the Victorian National U18 team. He played as a lead-up forward/half-forward and had a memorable influence in the game against South Australia.

Although he played mainly up forward in 2010, Patrick is also capable of playing in the midfield. His major assets revolve around his ability to compete well one-on-one. He has excellent kicking skills and is a well balanced athlete who positions his body to advantage.

Patrick’s ability to play in a variety of forward roles should see him become a difficult match-up for opposition defenders because at 191cm, he is strong in the air and has exceptional ground skills for a player of his size.

edit_preview.php

Jay Clark Phantom Draft

Picks 26 to 50 in no particular order

Patrick Karnezis (18, medium forward, Oakleigh Chargers)
Soccer convert has zip and strong hands for a mid-sized forward. Leads long and hard but isn't one-dimensional. Can surprise with his creativity as he works hard to involve teammates. Defensive side needs work.

edit_preview.php

Remove this Banner Ad

Back