Traded Patrick Karnezis (2011-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn't Beth Newman, whoever the hell she is, quote Kerr if he actually said that? I think she might be exaggerating what Kerr actually said.

Poorly written article.

Hey guys first time poster, in regards to this Beth is a friends girlfriend and she said its confirmed Pat did request a trade home but obviously as the article states and with the lack of trade rumours associated with him the club is not entertaining any thoughts of trading with him

Patrick Karnezis 2012 End of season Review
by Jorgo

2011 review

Senior games: 7
Goals: 7
Dreamteam: 324
Supercoach: 343
Club Best and Fairest votes: 2

6693867925_bc2ca0e503_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Developing

With the way he bolted out of the blocks in his first AFL season if you'd said that Patrick Karnezis would not line up for the Lions Senior side in Round 1 this year people would have worried about your sanity. If you then backed that up by saying he wouldn't play until Round 5, would only play 7 for the year and not carry any significant injury during that time they would have had you locked up. But the story of 2012 for Karnezis, while perhaps surprising, was one of development in the Reserves.

Pre-season form might have had some to play in this though with a considerably bulkier, cropped hair Karnezis struggling to make an impact through the NAB Cup. It seemed from afar that perhaps he was struggling to get a handle on his new physique & role (closer to goal) in the side.

Despite all this, on the back of a debut season kicking 17 goals in 11 games and rarely leaving the forward 50 all the talk in the lead up to the 2012 season was on how many goals he would kick for the year. Add to this Jonathan Brown getting injured during the pre-season and not being available for the first few rounds and people were predicting big things in the forward line from Karnezis. And while he did maintain a consistent level of scoreboard impact, kicking 7 goals 8 behinds in his 7 Senior games, it was in the Reserves that he showed the most improvement this year.

For the first few rounds of the NEAFL season Nathan Clarke had played him across half-back in a sweeper type role. In an indication that his footy smarts were up to any challenge he had some dominant performances in what was ultimately a foreign role to him, highlighted by a 38 posession performance against the UWS Giants in Round 3.

On the back of these performances he was selected in the Seniors for Round 5 against the Cats. He would go on to play 4 games in a row albeit without setting the world on fire. He wouldn't kick a goal until his 3rd game for 2012 in Round 7 vs Collingwood but it was after this game that had some fans calling for him to be dropped. He just didn't seem to be able to impact the game or get involved often enough. He would get one more week before that selection axe would fall.

It was at this point that the revelation of Karnezis the midfielder would begin. While there had previously been numerous comparisons to Geelong's Steven Johnson, in that they both were dangerous forwards who were versatile enough to play on the ball, when he first lined up in the middle for the Reserves it was mainly written off by us as a "getting miles into the legs" and a "building his endurance" exercise. However Karnezis stunned us all, and perhaps even the Club coaching staff, when he took to the role with aplomb and dominated games.

In NEAFL Round 11 against Broadbeach Karnezis would play on the ball the entire game without playing a single minute in the forward line. While Clarke would report that it was only to see how he handled the contest and to test him out with a big workload it would reap rewards for the side. He finished with 33 possessions, 3 goals and numerous clearances. He would follow this up with more than 40 possessions in NEAFL Round 14 and an eventual Senior recall.

It must have been frustrating for him however that he was unable to show that same sparkle & promise at Senior level in 2012. He would play 3 more games for the year but be reported as looking like he lacked fitness and lacking the ability to impact the contest after a shocker against Richmond in Round 19. It would prove to be his last Senior game for the year.

However his year was not to go fully unrewarded. He would continue to show exemplary form at Reserves level in the midfield. His tackling pressure there was noticeably improved, he would continue to wrack up big numbers in terms of possessions and would still often prove his dangerous side by slipping free to kick goals. He would finish the year with a premiership medal after playing a crucial part in the Lions first Reserves Premiership season since 2001.

Late in the year the rumours of him being homesick and wanting to return to Melbourne have raised trade talk rumours to various Melbourne based clubs. But with him being contracted next year it would be hard to see the Lions letting someone of his obvious football talents go without a considerable trade being offered.

With another pre-season under his belt and the development work put into him this year in a range of different positions Karnezis could literally be anything for the Lions in 2013. It will be interesting to see how they intend to use him... but for that we'll have to wait until next year.

Him wanting to leave was taken out of context, he never really wanted to leave it was speculation that the media blew up

They saw a Vic boy sort of out of favor in 2012 and they ran a bit with the story

If he plays 13+ games he will re sign

Being a frontier club, any time a player from another state does well, or isn't getting senior games the go home factor pops up, even more so when they were a bit of a draft steal. It's something we constantly have to put up with.

For me, Karni had a great first year, did well above expectations, but he was very one dimensional with his game, and he certainly needed to improve and develop more, which seems to have been the goal this year, playing a fair bit of time in the middle in the 2nds. I'll be looking forward to see how he goes next year, hopefully coming back bigger and better than ever.

It was exaggerated, I think if Brisbane got the right offer that would be the only thing that would get rid of him.... 2013 is the year.... If he rots in the twos again then he will seek a trade

It was exaggerated, I think if Brisbane got the right offer that would be the only thing that would get rid of him.... 2013 is the year.... If he rots in the twos again then he will seek a trade

Cheers. I think that confirms what most on here thought.

He didn't rot in the 2's...he was there to improve parts of his game and didn't show enough to get more time in the seniors.

I am sure if he is thinking about leaving the club at the end of next season and "confides" in you he would be thrilled to see it posted on this forum.

Mate, I dont want to argue in this thread, I didnt post in here for it, dont presume im backing up Pat at any stage or talking on his behalf, If asked i will give unbiased opinions and my comments as being neutral

Obviously all Lions fans hope that Pat shows sizzling form in 2013 as a 3rd year player and has a long and successful career at the club which would be a credit to the way his coaches have handled the development of this talented young man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewind back to round 1 last year, most people had Pat in the round 1 side because of the previous years performance - he wasn't (for memory). Fast forward to round 1 2013, on 2012 senior form most people probably wont have Pat in the round 1 side. I wouldn't be ruling out him being in the round 1 side if he has a good preseason and good preseason game form. We know Voss rewards this. He will certainly get the opportunity in the praccy matches. He just needs to do the hard yards.

..and I only recognise a few of them:confused:

Jack Crisp, Stefan Martin, Elliot Yeo, Billy Longer, Niall McKeever I think, Justin Clarke, Mitch Golby, Patrick Karnezis
Claye Beams (looking like he' in his element), Ryan Lester, Josh Green, Ryan Harwood, Rohan Bewick, Steven Wrigley, Sam Docherty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back