News PAX Australia 2013-2019 in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

paxaus.png

So it was just announced that PAX Australia (the very first PAX event held outside the US) will be held at the Melbourne Showgrounds next year from July 19 to July 21.

For those that don't know what PAX is, it's basically the most revered gaming expo in the game's industry. It's an event created for fans, by fans.

Similar to your usual expo's there's games on show, devs to talk to and plenty of free s**t to be won.

But probably the best thing, and the thing I'm most excited about, are the panels. PAX is known for it's panels, it will get all sorts of developers and industry names to come and talk about their games, methods and whatever else there is to talk about. But not only that, there's other parts of the gaming industry that come and have panels too. Like my favourite website GiantBomb.com. For the last couple of years GiantBomb have been going to PAX and doing panels (which they later upload to their website) to interact and meet with the fans.

You can view all of GiantBomb's panels here:
PAX Prime 2012 GiantBomb Panel
PAX East 2012 GiantBomb Panel
PAX Prime 2011 GiantBomb Panel Part 1, 2, 3
PAX East 2011 GiantBomb Panel Part 1, 2, 3

It's unknown whether GiantBomb will make the trip out to PAX, but since they have openly spoken of how much they love the PAX Expo's and have been planning a trip to Aus for a while as well, I am hoping beyond hope that they do come for the expo.

There's also a huge indie game scene at PAX, with PAX doing a 'PAX 10' every year that presents the 10 best up and coming Indie games as decided by a PAX panel to show off to the crowd. Some big Indie titles like Fez, Machinarium, Bastion and Super Meat Boy have been chosen in the past.

Tickets are already on sale at $45 per day or $115 for all 3 days.

I can't even decide on what to do today, let alone nine months from now. No doubt I'll decide that I want to go as soon as it is sold out.

Whose going for 3x days?
It'd have to depend on what's on. I couldn't see myself going for all 3 days, would just be re-hashing everything by the 3rd day, unless there's a good swathe of panels to go and see on all 3 days covering the whole day.

I'll probably just be going for the one day.

While i reckon it would be interesting to see some of the stuff i dont think i'll go.
I'm more of an end product kinda guy, i dont really care that much about all the mumbo jumbo in between.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron Gilbert, writer/director of Secret of Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion and the recently released PSN/XBLA/Steam game The Cave will be headlining PAX Australia, giving the first keynote presentation of the event.

Source: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5118456?cid=ZBP_GAM_L_L1_rongilbertheadliningpax_130213
Ron Gilbert is pretty well known in the gaming industry. In case you aren't familiar with him, his is the mind behind the old and still incredibly popular adventure games Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle and The Secret of Monkey Island. More recently Gilbert worked on the DeathSpank series and while his latest adventure game - The Cave - wasn't particularly excellent (check out Gameboffin's excellent review right here) it still has plenty of fans - and so does Gilbert himself.

And today it was announced that Ron Gilbert would be giving one of the very first keynote addresses Friday morning, just after the event opens. As noted by MCV Pacific, Gilbert's keynote will be called 'storytime' and PAX Australia have also announced musical acts including The Protomen and MC Frontalot. PAX Australia takes place from July 19 - 21 this year at the Melbourne Showgrounds - and if you'd like to go there are still passes available at the official site.
Guessing that PAdman will now have a ticket booked.:p

Hnng, wish this was announced sooner :(. Aren't tickets sold out apart from Friday?
Friday and Sunday still available apparently. No 3 day passes left though.

Are you going?
Likely to be going yeah. Still waiting to see if GiantBomb are going to make the trip down.

Will probably go on the Friday.

You're all nubs. Saturday is going to be the best day (and also busiest but what the hell).
:( I forgot to buy one before I saw the news about Ron Gilbert. :(

I was hoping we could have PS Vita parties with PAdman and you...while I sat in the middle showering in your Vita spray. Now, I just have to do that with PAdman. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back