Player Nicknames

Remove this Banner Ad

They called Brodie Smith 'Barnie' when he first came to the club because he never spoke a word. Saw it in one of the AFC interviews.

They called Brodie Smith 'Barnie' when he first came to the club because he never spoke a word. Saw it in one of the AFC interviews.

Wasn't it Humphrey??

Speaking of their nicknames, once after a training session in December, a couple of friends & I were having a chat with Sando & he asked us why the players call Tambling "Bling/Blinga"...I think he felt like a bit of an idiot when we told him it was because of TamBLING :p. He also said it took him awhile to figure out why they called McKernan "Smack" too..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Van Berlo - VanB (Van Bee) was a slip up that stuck
I ALWAYS have referred to Will Young as Wilson.

never call Rory anything other than Rory....i quite commonly yell 'Come on Rory!' in just THAT way*

*anybody get it?

Lynch - Goose, according to JJ's journal

OP updated

I also tweeted JJ, Lynch and James Pattinson are apparently good mates, so he suggested call him Patto ?? Don't think it'll stick

Watching the Sturt v Port game on the weekend the Sturt coach (Maloney ??) referred to Riley as Pig, McIntyre as TMac (so we have DMac and TMac) and I think Martin as Boomer, but I'm not so sure about the last one.

Nick name for Richard = Dick
Short version of Tambling = Bling

I combine them both for Richard Tambling's nickname.
There's also something else I refer to by that name which has a few similarities. Both are embarrassing to obtain, even if you think it's a good idea at the time, neither add much to your performance come game time and both can be quite painful to use.

Also, Scott Thompson doesn't need a nick name. The guy is a gun and already shares a name with another popular gun, so I just call him Thompson.
The thompson isn't quite as accurate as some other guns around, but is famous for it's power, higher rate of fire, and effectiveness in close quarters.

OP updated

I also tweeted JJ, Lynch and James Pattinson are apparently good mates, so he suggested call him Patto ?? Don't think it'll stick

Watching the Sturt v Port game on the weekend the Sturt coach (Maloney ??) referred to Riley as Pig, McIntyre as TMac (so we have DMac and TMac) and I think Martin as Boomer, but I'm not so sure about the last one.

:thumbsu:
Short and sweet. Hopefully he turns out to be just as good at AFL as Mcgrady was at B.ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back