Players to watch in shit sides or clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Re a previous post about The Harley being a rare player I watch to see him play despite being in a crap team or shit club.
Gary Ablett was one, loved seeing big Plugger smash his way around the ground, loved Dermie going about it as well.
I’m sure there’s more but that’s about it that comes to mind atm.
Thoughts?

Re a previous post about The Harley being a rare player I watch to see him play despite being in a crap team or s**t club.
Gary Ablett was one, loved seeing big Plugger smash his way around the ground, loved Dermie going about it as well.
I’m sure there’s more but that’s about it that comes to mind atm.
Thoughts?
Curnow and Petracca

Robbie Flower. Bernie Quinlan. Brendan Favola. Peter Matera. Tony Modra. Jeromy McGovern. Michael Voss. Gavin Wanganeen. Royce Hart. There are so many that's it hard to remember them all

Jeremy Cameron?

Harley Reid at the moment

Particularly so given there's a not completely impossible chance he winds up with us in 3 years time

That's about it?

In the old days you had so many more that were genuinely worth watching for a variety of reasons.

• Modra the human highlight reel
  • Alan Jakovic because not even god knew what he was going to do next
  • Gary Ablett Sr because wtf
  • Lockett because you just wanted to see how many he could kick in a game or if he was going to hospitalise someone

edit. Thanks Johno9911 for the reminder. Completely forgot Franklin

Last edited:
Zac Butters is my favorite player outside of the Collingwood 4-walls atm. Pure footballer and heart and soul type player who's worth tuning into a Port game no matter who they're playing (and regardless of how drab the game of football is).

His last quarter yesterday was an example of that, 17 touches, 5 clearances, 5 i50's and 96% TOG to individually drag port over the line - remarkable performance.

From the older days - the great Buddy Franklin, as Huddo once dubbed him "the greatest showman" is an accurate title. Unbelievable skill and goal kicking ability for such a big man, capable of the impossible and could light up a game like few could.

I would agree with most of the choices above so won't repeat. Another that comes to mind is Trevor Barker. None were shitter than the Saints when I was growing up.............year after year after year.
Doug Hawkins and Robbie Flower were silk when those two teams were dreadful.

Current players I’d say
Harley Reid
Harry Sheezel
Nick Larkey

Wasted where they are

Doug Hawkins and Robbie Flower were silk when those two teams were dreadful.
I would like to add Brian Wilson to those two guys. Old manic had the pleasure of playing against both in our junior days. The old North v West combined sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always enjoyed watching Chris Langford, usually it’s mids and forwards that excite the crowd, but he was a top notch defender. In an era when defenders generally punched the ball, he’d back himself to out mark the forward. There were some games were he had midfielder like stats at full back. Very classy defender imo.

Chris Judd at his best was good to watch also (minus the filthy navy blue jumper obviously) Buddy at his best was a freak. Robbie Flower and Keith Grieg were great to watch back in the day. Plenty of great players were enjoyable to watch, except when they decided to tear the Pies a new one

I would agree with most of the choices above so won't repeat. Another that comes to mind is Trevor Barker. None were shitter than the Saints when I was growing up.............year after year after year.
That’s a good get get. Yep loved watching Barks play. And as manic said Bernie Quinlan and Robbie Flower were good to watch as well.
Loved the way Kenny Hunter went about it too. Not necessarily watched a game just to see him but did enjoy his bravery and style.

Just realised that nobody mentioned these two :p Worth the price of admission most weeks - sometimes for reasons other than their skills.

Warwick-Capper-Langford-250x259.jpg
11813388_503826123101833_4308196588059287956_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back