Opinion Positional changes you would like to see in the NAB challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

From today's article on de Boer I noticed something interesting:

“I’m working closer with (assistant coaches) Brett Kirk and Mark Stone in this pre-season than in years gone by."

Does this support that he will be playing on the ball more this year and/or possibly replacing Crowley as many have discussed?

With talk of someone to supercede Dpearce i dont know why i never though of sutcliffe. Probably not as agile, but probably as quick, fit, better kick. Move Cpearce into the backline to replace sutcliffe. Would also bolster our defending ability as i feel clancee can physically defend better.

In: pearce
Out: pearce

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

“I’m working closer with (assistant coaches) Brett Kirk and Mark Stone in this pre-season than in years gone by."

Does this support that he will be playing on the ball more this year and/or possibly replacing Crowley as many have discussed?

Yes, my interpretation is that he has been told to build his tank to expand the possibilities and aim for a mid field role. Lots of noise about him training alongside Mzungu so it would not surprise if they have told him to model himself on Tendai. Maybe as an alternative to Crowley or maybe as an attempt to groom a Langford type in our midfield - a stopper that inflicts damage offensively as well. It will be one to watch as the preseason tinkering unfolds.

de Boer's past role may well be largely defunct in a modification to the game plan. Personally, I hope to see less of the lock down role for anyone in particular in the forward line and more reliance on that manic team pressure we last saw in late 2013. I'm keen on a more aggressive forward line structure with the likes of Crozier and Duffy complimenting Ballaz, Walters, Mayne, Pav and one of the young talls. These guys really clicked in that last quarter against the Cats and I think we only fleetingly saw it reappear against the Hawks at home.

Hill and mundy coming off half back.
Sutcliffe moved to a wing.
Crowley dropped in favour of fyfe, barlow and neale outgunning opposition midfield.
Walters in midfield. (to take D Pearce place?)
Silvagni made permanent Centre Half Back (give the kid a chance.)
Crozier made permanent half forward flank.
Apeness and Tabs given decent game time up forward.

I'd like to see Z Clarke as the Johno type sweeping Half Back. He has the tank and the height - not nessecarily the footy smarts, but he can learn?

joker_notsureifserious.jpg

Is Griffin fit? He needs NAB time more than just about anyone, not just for him but for the team to practice how to structure up when Sandi isn't around. Who could forget the result from the one game Griff replaced Sandi last year? Give Sandi a run for half a game and go with Griff the rest.

What are everyone's thoughts on Clancee Pearce. I feel as though he is quickly forgotten when talking about player improvement. Watched a video on the FFC website and Clancee stated that he hasn't stopped training yet. I expect him to break into the side and be a best 22 for most of the year, he has the skills and power to be a good player. Don't ask me who he comes in for though.

Of course that is going to be asked. There is only twenty two spots and when we have a full complement to choose from it will be a raffle.
If sutty and Spurr hold form and the likes of Sherro, Crozier, Duffy come on well this year it will be very tough for Clancee and others.
If Duffield and Ibbo remain fit I can't see Clancee coming into defence and we appear to have a surfeit of mids.
Clancee is probably quality depth.
It is a conundrum.

I'd like to see Z Clarke as the Johno type sweeping Half Back. He has the tank and the height - not nessecarily the footy smarts, but he can learn?

If he had footy smarts akin to MJ we could've won the flag last year and our forward line would be the most feared in the league

Buddy update.

You beat me to it!!

This to me sends a clear message that my buddy will be given a midfield role at least as trial in the preseason games. He was drafted as an inside mid. Tough, endurance, lighting hands, tackling machine. With the interchange cap being reduced there will be a need for more players to be rotated through the midfield or players with greater endurance will become far more important.

Also, what's all this talk about Hill playing at half back? He is a winger. I understand we want his laser boot coming out of the backline, but in reality that is what a wingman does. Links between half back and the goals. I feel we would lose a bit of his scoring power if we kept him at half back.

Plus you don't want a defender who the forwards will know drops the mark when body contact is applied at the mark. They will set up for the crumb off our loose man.

You can spot the difference by looking at them but there is something guys like Ibbo have, that Clarke is currently lacking, which helps them take that pounding when marking.

Ibbo is a barrel with legs and arms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus you don't want a defender who the forwards will know drops the mark when body contact is applied at the mark. They will set up for the crumb off our loose man.

You can spot the difference by looking at them but there is something guys like Ibbo have, that Clarke is currently lacking, which helps them take that pounding when marking.

Ibbo a barrel ?
I fear he is going to get hurt bad the way he backs into packs. Ibbo is one gutsy player.
I can't see Zarke doing anything like that.

Buddy update.

You beat me to it!!

This to me sends a clear message that my buddy will be given a midfield role at least as trial in the preseason games. He was drafted as an inside mid. Tough, endurance, lighting hands, tackling machine. With the interchange cap being reduced there will be a need for more players to be rotated through the midfield or players with greater endurance will become far more important.

Also, what's all this talk about Hill playing at half back? He is a winger. I understand we want his laser boot coming out of the backline, but in reality that is what a wingman does. Links between half back and the goals. I feel we would lose a bit of his scoring power if we kept him at half back.

I wish MdB had a more damaging kick. He is deceptively fast too.

Nothing wrong with Clarkes marking, probably one of the top players for pack/contested marks Freo has. It's his decision making and inability to impact a game when needed that is the worry. Massive confidence player, needs to get his hands on it early in the game or he is done.

Nothing wrong with Clarkes marking, probably one of the top players for pack/contested marks Freo has. It's his decision making and inability to impact a game when needed that is the worry. Massive confidence player, needs to get his hands on it early in the game or he is done.
He absolutely has a technical error in his marking, for a tall guy he likes to jump at the ball and the body contact from the defender shifts him slightly for the spill. He is a very clean mark of the ball without that contact.

He absolutely has a technical error in his marking, for a tall guy he likes to jump at the ball and the body contact from the defender shifts him slightly for the spill. He is a very clean mark of the ball without that contact.

That's generally what a contested marking situation is all about. You take some, you spill some. He won't clunk them all but his contested marking is definitely a strength for him. Now Sandi on the other hand, he is some one who struggles to take a grab in a pack situation.

That's generally what a contested marking situation is all about. You take some, you spill some. He won't clunk them all but his contested marking is definitely a strength for him. Now Sandi on the other hand, he is some one who struggles to take a grab in a pack situation.

Not sure if serious?

Aaron Sandilands - Avg 1.78 contested mark per game (rank no 1 for Fremantle)

Zachary Clarke - Avg 0.81 contested mark per game (rank no 7 for Fremantle)

Sandi has learned to plant his feet and extend his arms, but those marks were most noticeable when in defence when the forward is also trying to mark and not spoiling him.
Sandi would have a LOT more contest marks/free kicks for them if the umpires followed the rules properly...

Not sure if serious?

Aaron Sandilands - Avg 1.78 contested mark per game (rank no 1 for Fremantle)

Zachary Clarke - Avg 0.81 contested mark per game (rank no 7 for Fremantle)

Interesting stat . However, just from watching games it always seems that Sandi is always in the right spot all the time, gets his hands on it but fumbles - probably could/should take a lot more. Taylor makes a good point on where his marks were taken too.

Interesting stat . However, just from watching games it always seems that Sandi is always in the right spot all the time, gets his hands on it but fumbles - probably could/should take a lot more. Taylor makes a good point on where his marks were taken too.

Once Sandi is in the right position good luck trying to move him out of the way. Opposition players tend to resort to spoiling instead of trying to contest. As Seppo pointed out, it seems clinging on to Sandi's arms is considered a legitimate spoiling attempt by the umpires :S

Clarke have a really high vertical leap. I am actual thinking if he can learn to lead a little better so that defenders cannot interfere with his jump he'll be able to take a lot more marks.

Clarke is a good mark if he has a bit of space and can leap at the ball in a pack situation. Sadly this doesn't really happen in today's footy anymore, you're going to be blocked. We've tried him as a forward and sadly it hasn't worked. Clarke will be a good ruckman for us when Sandi retires and offer a solid marking target around the ground, until then he shouldn't get a game.

Once Sandi is in the right position good luck trying to move him out of the way. Opposition players tend to resort to spoiling instead of trying to contest. As Seppo pointed out, it seems clinging on to Sandi's arms is considered a legitimate spoiling attempt by the umpires :S

Clarke have a really high vertical leap. I am actual thinking if he can learn to lead a little better so that defenders cannot interfere with his jump he'll be able to take a lot more marks.

Absolutely, Clarkes positioning and running patterns are terrible most of the time, he is his own worst enemy. However, having said all that he is *still better than Nic Nat* and doesn't cost us millions of dollars to keep.

*sorry, I can't help it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back