Analysis What position does JOM play in 2024?

What position does JOM play in 2024?

• Midfield

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Fwd Line

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Backline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sub

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • WAFL

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly as he played the season just gone, sitting on the interchange and playing his role in the midfield.
A possibile resurgence of Brodie......... I hope you are correct.... but.......

Interchange.

This isn't really the controversial one. The real spicy thread is the 'What position does Fyfe play in 2024' because for me it's sub at best, WAFL at worst.

That aside, I think JOM should be the last in the midfield rotation and mainly should be half forward/mid.

Serong, Johnson, Young, Brodie (IMO he should be in the 22), Erasmus in that order for me through the middle. Brayshaw wing + some starts as required. JOM named on a HF flank or bench.

Depends. Were there any cogent fixable reasons for why he was underwhelming this year, or is he just cooked and that's the best we're getting for three more years?

He needs to reinvent himself as a forward who can rotate into the midfield, he won't be getting much opportunity in midfield with Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson, Young, Fyfe, Jackson, Erasmus, Switta, and hopefully Brodie taking up most of the midfield time. He's too slow now to play as a full time mid.

You forgot accurate too.
It's not accurate to be disparaging. It is not difficult to say that he will struggle to make the team without taking pot shots at him. Jaeger has risen to be one of the best in the league and has been pulled back by injury. He deserves a bit more respect, same goes for Fyfe. There's a reason their leadership is highly valued.

Interchange.

This isn't really the controversial one. The real spicy thread is the 'What position does Fyfe play in 2024' because for me it's sub at best, WAFL at worst.

That aside, I think JOM should be the last in the midfield rotation and mainly should be half forward/mid.

Serong, Johnson, Young, Brodie (IMO he should be in the 22), Erasmus in that order for me through the middle. Brayshaw wing + some starts as required. JOM named on a HF flank or bench.
I actually really like the idea of Fyfe as sub, at least initially. Ignore the notion of loss of face etc, and focus on a potential use of the sub as a weapon, serving the team best and his aim for getting a Premiership.

I don't believe he can run out a full season, may prove me wrong, but he's banged up and has a lot of miles on the clock. However, he is more than capable of putting a beast quarter together, or coming in at a time to settle the ship and playing a bit longer, especially if he's playing limited game time each week. We're versatile enough around the ground (JOM certainly a part of that) to shuffle pieces in the fwd and back line to slot him in for the majority of injuries and I don't care if you're prime Bont/Petracca, a rested Fyfe coming on for the sole aim of smashing the middle for one quarter or so is pretty daunting.

Same actually goes for Brodie, maybe treat them as one player who plays flat out and swaps out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever role he is, I want him taking as many set shots as possible. Put alot of our players to shame in that area.

In all honesty he doesn’t have the pace to be outside the contest, and isn’t good enough at winning clearances to command a starting onball role. I think similarly of Aish. If we had better depth neither would be best 22.

In all honesty he doesn’t have the pace to be outside the contest, and isn’t good enough at winning clearances to command a starting onball role. I think similarly of Aish. If we had better depth neither would be best 22.
Strongly disagree re: Aish. Aish is top 15 in our side and offers massive versatility, so probably one of the first names down. No coincidence we lost the Richmond game where he was caught high and concussed. Was BOG at that point and we were set to run them over. Hugely underrated player. As for JOM, he's more than handy in the middle and a solid chop out at half-forward; great set shot as someone else pointed out.

Last edited:
Back