Pre(and mid)-Season Friendlies 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Why's that? They'd already have a mid-table League One budget, and will only get increased investment as their profile increases.
I don't think that's really the owners end goal tbh.

This is absolutely the sceptic in me, but I've always had the impression this was more about the exposure than any long term success. There was a good tweet on it a while ago.

There's other things as well. The investment in the club would have to go up significantly (things like the stadium would need to be improved etc).

I don't think that's really the owners end goal tbh.

This is absolutely the sceptic in me, but I've always had the impression this was more about the exposure than any long term success. There was a good tweet on it a while ago.

There's other things as well. The investment in the club would have to go up significantly (things like the stadium would need to be improved etc).

Why would Ryan Reynolds - international movie star - buy a National League football club to boost his profile? That sounds absurd to me haha.

The end goal is absolutely to take the club as far as they can, I think in one of his earliest interviews Reynolds spoke about "Why not the Premier League" as a goal of theirs. Given they already have, with their level of investment, a competitive League One budget - and I'd argue a larger budget than clubs like Luton in the Championship - and the amount of additional investment they would be able to attract once they hit L2 and L1 (I think McElhenney spoke about it in one of the first Welcome to Wrexham episodes about their plan for additional investment) I have no reason to think it isn't a legitimate ambition.

They're already redeveloping the Kop end, which had an entire episode in the documentary devoted to it, likewise with the pitch (another episode), like, all this stuff is happening haha.

Why would Ryan Reynolds - international movie star - buy a National League football club to boost his profile? That sounds absurd to me haha.

The end goal is absolutely to take the club as far as they can, I think in one of his earliest interviews Reynolds spoke about "Why not the Premier League" as a goal of theirs. Given they already have, with their level of investment, a competitive League One budget - and I'd argue a larger budget than clubs like Luton in the Championship - and the amount of additional investment they would be able to attract once they hit L2 and L1 (I think McElhenney spoke about it in one of the first Welcome to Wrexham episodes about their plan for additional investment) I have no reason to think it isn't a legitimate ambition.

They're already redeveloping the Kop end, which had an entire episode in the documentary devoted to it, likewise with the pitch (another episode), like, all this stuff is happening haha.
I'll have to see if I can find the tweet.

To answer the bold, because he has no ******* idea what he's doing. He doesn't understand the offside rule.

The investment they've put in they've already got back from the show. That was mentioned previously before as well.

I'll believe it when I see it but I don't think this club is getting past league 1 in the next 10 years.

I'll have to see if I can find the tweet.

To answer the bold, because he has no ******* idea what he's doing. He doesn't understand the offside rule.

The investment they've put in they've already got back from the show. That was mentioned previously before as well.

I'll believe it when I see it but I don't think this club is getting past league 1 in the next 10 years.

He has no idea what he's doing because he missed a flag going up at a Cup final? Haha they've built the club from a bottom half rabble into one that's on track for over 100 points this season. Think you're misunderstanding an owner's role in a project like this if you think knowing the intricacies of the rules of the game has any bearing.

I'm still not quite sure on the 'exposure' claim though. Is the suggestion genuinely that Welcome to Wrexham as a tv show is going to sustainably fund the club? I find it incredibly hard to believe their investment - which is continuing and ramping up by the way - is being matched by a return on a streaming show.

He has no idea what he's doing because he missed a flag going up at a Cup final? Haha they've built the club from a bottom half rabble into one that's on track for over 100 points this season. Think you're misunderstanding an owner's role in a project like this if you think knowing the intricacies of the rules of the game has any bearing.

I'm still not quite sure on the 'exposure' claim though. Is the suggestion genuinely that Welcome to Wrexham as a tv show is going to sustainably fund the club? I find it incredibly hard to believe their investment - which is continuing and ramping up by the way - is being matched by a return on a streaming show.
He's conceded himself he has no idea what he's doing. It's pretty clear that he doesn't.

Here's the tweet/thread.

Points 3 & 5 are the ones worth looking at. They promised 2.5m in investment, they've made (roughly) 3.2 back from the show.

He's conceded himself he has no idea what he's doing. It's pretty clear that he doesn't.

Here's the tweet/thread.

Points 3 & 5 are the ones worth looking at. They promised 2.5m in investment, they've made (roughly) 3.2 back from the show.

So if they paid 2.5m for the club and have invested 2.5m on top of that they're down 1.8m? What am I missing?

Reading that thread it certainly sounds like they know what they're doing from a business point of view which is where having a clue matters. Not understanding the rules of the sport is an irrelevance.

That thread seems pretty positive about the acquisition so not sure what I'm missing.

Their investment will have to increase as they progress up the pyramid but it's a bloody good starting point for them (and a leg up that no other team in the leagues around them get).

It absolutely will, and McElhenney has already talked about the plans for further investment and investors as and when its needed as they progress up the pyramid, as I said. I think it's in the first or second episode of the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back