Booze Hound

Team Captain
Nov 14, 2001
London, England
AFL Club
Adelaide
Six Nations Round 3:

Wales 18 v Italy 6:

With Dominguez out so goes Italy's main source of points and control. Wales should win easily but I doubt it will be worth watching.

Man of the Match: Scott Quinnell, because the Welsh love this one trick pony and this will be his sort of game.

Ireland 27 Scotland 12:

Ireland have had the sense to pick the same team again with one injury exception (although, partly through age, the props and Galway could have gone). This is normally a free flowing game and I think will be this time. The trouble is, that suits the Irish back-line better than the Scots.

Man of the Match: Brian O'Driscoll. He'll have the space, he's got the pace.

France 21 England 38:

Le Crunch. With Galthie back France immediately have their strongest team of the Tournament. The match up at centre will be intriguing but the visitors back three are better. The all round game of England's front five will give the French too many difficulties and England will pull ahead in the final quarter. However, if England hit the ground running. like against Ireland, it could be spectacular and any score prediction might be blown out of the water..

Man of the Match: Richard Hill. He's up against the in form Betson but likes this fixture and in form opponents. I think he might have an absolute stormer, trouble is he often does so without doing the flashy stuff.

Being the egomaniac that I am it is necessary to point out that I got all 3 results last time as I was in the minority who picked Scotland to beat Italy.:D

Personally I can't see French scoring as many as 21 against England unless we take our foot off the gas again with a big lead.If they do win then it will be a lowish scoring game I feel.

Good to see what you wrote about Hill, he's my hero in the England side & the biggest compliment I can pay him is to say that he is even better than Mike Teague who used to be my favourite player.I actually feel he is even better at open side & maybe when Dallalagio is back he could end up there with Lawrence at blind side.

France 13 England 39

I don't know what our record win is in Paris but I reckon we could beat it-in the modern era anyway.I think they're over rated & I can't see that they can live with us in the set piece the ruck & maul & they can't even rely on being better than us in broken field running any more.

Wales 24 Italy 18

Wales to get a couple of tries the Italians to kick penalties.

Ireland 30 Scotland 19

Ireland too classy for the Scots.

If the French side that plays very good rugby turns up they have a shot at 21 points. If the one that played against Wales is on show they will struggle to get 10. I'm being pessimistic:(

Very much with you on Hill. Last week a friend of mine asked me to select my best England XV in the time I've watched them, about 25 years. I put Teague on the blind side and Hill on the open (Deano at 8).

Hehe misplaced arrogance is a funny thing.........

Well what can you say?On England's performance it was uncannily similar to the Ireland game a sense of almost total inability to change the pattern of the game.Maybe at last they will learn that it is not always a sin to kick for territory especially away from home (Jonny Wilko that's you!)

As for the French, well they deserved it with a mixture of big tacking & sound game plan, particualry interesting was the way that the scrum half & fly half swapped around & both seemed thoroughly comfortable playing the others position when the situation demanded.

Being the bad loser that I am I can't not mention once again a southern hemisphere referee swaggering into European rugby & trying everything in his power to be part of an England defeat-the sooner we kick these cheats into touch the better for everyone.

Anyway hopefully the Irish can beat the French in the last game so that they learn what it's like to have GS swiped from their grasp at the last.

That little prick Will Carling has said that if England was a southern hemisphere giant then Woodward would have been sacked for not winning the Tri Nations-what he forgets is that we have won the last 2 Championships just because they haven't been GSs we shouldn't discount that achievement.

At least this current side is watchable unlike his Rob Andrew led
joyless brigade.

Oh come on.

What motivation could I have possibly had for posting about how great England were:)mad: ) two weeks ago.

Fact is you English do that far better than I ever could:) ;)

Course not Colin - I guess it would be far to humbling to acknowledge defeat by a far classier England outfit.

There seems to be a bit of a conundrum amongst Irish supporters at the moment.

The thing is, we all want to beat France this weekend, but if that happens we're more than likely going to hand the Championship to England, which very few of us want!

It's a peculiar situation to be in, personally I'd rather beat the French, and with Wood and Henderson back in the side we'll give it a good lash.

Predictions:

With a full team for the first time this season, Ireland to beat France. England to hockey Italy, and Scotland to beat Wales.

France 22 Ireland 24

England 62 Italy 10

Scotland 25 Wales 17

Colin -

With respect - kind of small-minded attitude I would hope is rare amongst your countrymen.

I think it speaks volumes that it is even a conundrum at all.

Better luck next year - eh?

:D

It's only light-hearted it's not like everyone wants to lose just so we can deny England the Championship. I would say all Irish fans want the team to win it's just that the idea of Ireland winning the title for England is a bit nauseating, again though in a light-hearted way.

As for whether this 'small-minded attitude' is rare amongst all Irish people, I would say, unfortunately, the answer is no. There is still a substantial amount of people who will cheer for England's opponents in any sport, just for the sake of it. Maybe it's the whole history thing, the 'colonial oppressors', the 'auld enemy' etc, but these ignorant thicks need to enter the new millenium. Ironically, they're the ones most likely to get the ferry across the Irish sea on a Friday night, cheering on Owen, Gerrard, Beckham and co. every Saturday :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back