Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The only "Pies v Pies" game is a Collingwood intraclub. Port are the "Power" and teal is their core brand differentiator from a marketing perspective. Yes, they should be able to wear the prison bars for heritage rounds and limited special occasions, but those push for its full time reinstatement as a home jumper are living in la-la-land. Port Adelaide FC's main focus should be winning a Preliminary Final yet the club administration gets caught up with this jumper debate year after year. Ken Hinkley probably loves the topic coming up in the media as it provides a distraction from his sub-par coaching performance.
Funnily enough, I actually agree with this 🤣

(Although I will say this, teal has always been a secondary or tertiary colour)

The only "Pies v Pies" game is a Collingwood intraclub. Port are the "Power" and teal is their core brand differentiator from a marketing perspective. Yes, they should be able to wear the prison bars for heritage rounds and limited special occasions, but those push for its full time reinstatement as a home jumper are living in la-la-land. Port Adelaide FC's main focus should be winning a Preliminary Final yet the club administration gets caught up with this jumper debate year after year. Ken Hinkley probably loves the topic coming up in the media as it provides a distraction from his sub-par coaching performance.
Gee mate, your name suits. My idea was to create an awesome rivalry that could create some cool footy designs in the process, you seem hellbent on defending a position my idea wasn't attacking.

Nup Im suss now too. ChatGPT hundred percent. This guy is too good 😂👏🏽
I understand your skepticism, but I assure you, it's all me. Sometimes my writing might seem too coherent for my own good, but rest assured, there's no AI wizardry at play here. Just me, my thoughts, and perhaps a little sprinkle of inspiration from the digital ether.

Sent from my ChatGPT

My humble opinion is that Port wear the PB's for home Showdowns only.

eddie let that slip like 6 months ago and you read it at the time why are you pretending you didn't lol

I suggest again - Battle of the Bars

Every Collingwood v Port game a team wears their traditional kit and the other wears a completely different and distinct kit. Whomever wins that game reserves the right to wear their 'bars in the next Pies v Pies game. And so on, creating a Pie-valry as it were.

As an idea for the Pies, they could wear an all-white Swoopy boi, and Port could wear a Teal SBS kit (as their alternates)
Since The AFL own the copyrights, they should just let Port wear when they want, Collingwood nor do any other club own their own guernsey designs.

Or they can continue to respect and honour the rights of a foundation club which has been a member of the league since 1897. Port opted for teal, they can live with their decision.
Collingwood don't own any copyright, though, The AFL do. It's ultimately an AFL decision. That's why The AFL are starting to let Port wear the guernsey more often, they will eventually cave and just let Port wear the prison bars when they want.

Or they can continue to respect and honour the rights of a foundation club which has been a member of the league since 1897. Port opted for teal, they can live with their decision.
I don't get the Teal argument. It's not our primary colour - it's more secondary / tertiary to black.

You know it wasn't really their decision, and you know what they would've opted for if they'd actually had the free choice, because they keep asking to wear it.

No idea, honestly. I think the idea (which probably seemed like a good idea at the time) was to keep a "Port Adelaide" in the SANFL...

And sadly, I can see it happening again if we leave to join the VFL 🙄
Why can't the Magpies just move to the reserves comp? It's only the reserves 90% of people won't care. He'll the VFL has two Tiger named clubs anyway. That why the Magpies aren't killed.

Why can't the Magpies just move to the reserves comp? It's only the reserves 90% of people won't care. He'll the VFL has two Tiger named clubs anyway. That why the Magpies aren't killed.
Both Port and now the Crows have slated that they would consider moving to either the VFL or national reserves competition in the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet Gold Coast were allowed to enter the comp with Red, Gold and Blue as their colours 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

And yet Gold Coast were allowed to enter the comp with Red, Gold and Blue as their colours 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
It's not their primary colour just an accent and different shade to the crows the suns are mainly red and gold
North and Geelong both have blue and white but the blues are different shades

Let’s do a hypothetical, if Port were allowed to wear the Prison Bars what would be the clash strip and against who? The white back on some traditional prison bars guernseys and current AFL guernsey creates its own problems against dark teams.

It's not their primary colour just an accent and different shade to the crows the suns are mainly red and gold
North and Geelong both have blue and white but the blues are different shades
Carlton and Geelong wear the same shade, and the Bears came in wearing Hawthorn colours too. It’s not impossible…
No idea, honestly. I think the idea (which probably seemed like a good idea at the time) was to keep a "Port Adelaide" in the SANFL...

And sadly, I can see it happening again if we leave to join the VFL 🙄
If it was up to Port, we would’ve left the SANFL entirely and for this exact reason. No confusion as to who the real Port was if there was only one Port Adelaide Football Club. The Magpies coming into the SANFL in 1997 was purely the SANFL’s decision so that they wouldn’t lose Port, we stood to gain nothing from them doing that. A big part of me wishes we could’ve threatened legal action over that, but the SANFL owner our license so that wasn’t possible.
I sincerely hope there doesn’t end up being an issue with the our reserves continuing to be the Magpies. 2 Lions, 2 Tigers, several jumpers that look very similar on first glance (Essendon and Coburg, Box Hill and Sandringham), and another club already sharing colours with Collingwood. Can’t fathom a possibility where we wouldn’t be allowed.

Let’s do a hypothetical, if Port were allowed to wear the Prison Bars what would be the clash strip and against who? The white back on some traditional prison bars guernseys and current AFL guernsey creates its own problems against dark teams.
I’d like to think a white back on the traditional front wouldn’t cause clash issues, but it wouldn’t really look very good. I’d be content with anything as a clash jumper be it something prison bar related, something V related, something extravagant, either way my preference would be inverted prison bars or a silver base version but I wouldn’t complain with anything. Even teal would be totally acceptable. You’d think it’d get worn against the teams we currently clash with given it’s still a pretty dark jumper.

Carlton and Geelong wear the same shade, and the Bears came in wearing Hawthorn colours too. It’s not impossible…

If it was up to Port, we would’ve left the SANFL entirely and for this exact reason. No confusion as to who the real Port was if there was only one Port Adelaide Football Club. The Magpies coming into the SANFL in 1997 was purely the SANFL’s decision so that they wouldn’t lose Port, we stood to gain nothing from them doing that. A big part of me wishes we could’ve threatened legal action over that, but the SANFL owner our license so that wasn’t possible.

I sincerely hope there doesn’t end up being an issue with the our reserves continuing to be the Magpies. 2 Lions, 2 Tigers, several jumpers that look very similar on first glance (Essendon and Coburg, Box Hill and Sandringham), and another club already sharing colours with Collingwood. Can’t fathom a possibility where we wouldn’t be allowed.
the blues use white as an accent colour mainly they are primarily navy

once again very slight different shades, but was meant to be maroon they eventually changed the colors, same with the eagles

stay as the power in the AFL black white and teal, but you have every right to be the magpies in the ressies comp, let the teams tinker and have fun with identity but the only issue is that it is not a consistent brand which the club and afl would want

I’d like to think a white back on the traditional front wouldn’t cause clash issues, but it wouldn’t really look very good. I’d be content with anything as a clash jumper be it something prison bar related, something V related, something extravagant, either way my preference would be inverted prison bars or a silver base version but I wouldn’t complain with anything. Even teal would be totally acceptable. You’d think it’d get worn against the teams we currently clash with given it’s still a pretty dark jumper.
Where's that cartoon drawing from like 1994 of (i think) Scott Hodges in the silver based bars? That would be an all-timer if it got used

* makes you wish Port went with the Pirates/Raiders name

Where's that cartoon drawing from like 1994 of (i think) Scott Hodges in the silver based bars? That would be an all-timer if it got used

* makes you wish Port went with the Pirates/Raiders name
very American LV raiders have the exact same colours, I remember being told why teal was used it works great as an accent color just to have a difference to Collingwood, the reason was good as well

Back