Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Was never a main colour - yes it's mentioned in the club song but from memory it didn't make an appearance until one of our pre-season or away jumpers.
yeah I know that, could be used but no way to fit it into the kits, or modern branding could be used in the reserves I believe teams should experiment their with design names and colors their for fun

They’re dumbasses for not going with this. That’s a great look. I love Pirate themed teams. I’ve been to Raymond James Stadium (Tampa Bay Bucaneers) and all their pirate themed concessions and stands were awesome.

Every now and then I think of the black on black pirate bars that El_Scorcho made and weep.

Just kidding here it is.

View attachment 1923827

View attachment 1924130

Should have been this from the get-go. Identity, guernsey, everything.

The Silver and White bars as the main Guernsey (home and preferred away) with the Black and Black as the clash seems like it would've kept Port satisfied with it's preferred Guernsey design, meaning they wouldn't need to chase the regular Black and White Prison Bars design for years, but also the combo looks nothing like Collingwood's, leaving Collingwood's branding unique. You'd have to think that if you could time travel you would lock this in as a decision that benefits both parties and we wouldn't have to keep talking about it.

It's almost a meme when I say it on the Port board now but i'd change us to Pirates right now. Power still sucks, it's a Big Bash franchise ass name that hasn't landed at all and wouldn't be missed if we changed it.

Even the Suns and Giants have more supporter buy in with the name than we do.

People love to argue it's because nothing could ever live up to the Magpies, but it's not that. It's just a weak, 90s name to go along with the rest of the 90s identity we entered the league with. Pirates is so obvious. It works perfectly.

It's almost a meme when I say it on the Port board now but i'd change us to Pirates right now. Power still sucks, it's a Big Bash franchise ass name that hasn't landed at all and wouldn't be missed if we changed it.

People love to argue it's because nothing could ever live up to the Magpies, but it's not that. It's just a weak, 90s name to go along with the rest of the 90s identity we entered the league with. Pirates is so obvious. It works perfectly.
But how would people know you had the Power to win, or were aggressive?

Think About It GIF by Identity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in full agreement here. One thing I will say though, and it’s the only thing Power has in its favour, is that there isn’t really a more appropriate name for a team that joined the national comp because it was too powerful for the old league. It's not entirely soulless and I think Power and Pirates are really the only two names that would have actually made any sense.

That’s how I feel about the Pirates name.

It’s lame.

Every sports team nickname is lame. Sports branding generally is lame if looked at our of context, and I say this as a sports design nerd.

The comparison with the BBL franchise names isn't about coolness or lameness, it's about them being intentionally generic.

Give me lame over generic any day. The club has really struggled to get Power to land in any aspect, and that's been true for 27 years. We've had far more success with branding when we minimise Power. There's only one club board on bigfooty where there are regularly discussions about alternative nicknames.

That’s how I feel about the Pirates name.

It’s lame.
It's how I feel when Australian football clubs adopt non Australian names.

It actually surprises me that we don't have more Emus, Crocodiles or even Kangaroos for nicknames.

Port Adelaide FC. Drop the moniker.
simple, clean, effective. It my opinion, if your gonna rock a plain soccer looking monogram, then drop the moniker and be name PAFC. Bringing back the old power logo if you want to really deserve the Port Adelaide Power name (plus it's a great logo imo)

Where's that cartoon drawing from like 1994 of (i think) Scott Hodges in the silver based bars? That would be an all-timer if it got used

* makes you wish Port went with the Pirates/Raiders name
Grey looks like it'd been washed out and is an awful colour. Navy is the closest best alternative to black, but still inferior. Power is a great name, though, The Simpsons convinced me of that. Although, Raiders would have been second best. Pirates is open to a certain slur taunt.

I have no idea why Power is hated, it's one of the best names.

I have no idea why Power is hated, it's one of the best names.

I wouldn't say it's hated, it's just sort of nothing. It's just there. As I said, like a Big Bash Franchise. All our most successful marketing basically ignores Power in favour of Port Adelaide based stuff. If we stopped using it entirely it'd probably take 6 months for anyone to notice.

Pirates just has so much more going for it from a marketing perspective, but it also links back to our roots in a much more natural way IMO, what with the strong maritime theme, a black and white flag, the perception that we're raucous criminals, raiding the AFL from another league etc etc.

I wouldn't say it's hated, it's just sort of nothing. It's just there. As I said, like a Big Bash Franchise. All our most successful marketing basically ignores Power in favour of Port Adelaide based stuff. If we stopped using it entirely it'd probably take 6 months for anyone to notice.

Pirates just has so much more going for it from a marketing perspective, but it also links back to our roots in a much more natural way IMO, what with the strong maritime theme, a black and white flag, the perception that we're raucous criminals, raiding the AFL from another league etc etc.
Power is a very strong nickname, there is history of "Power" on Port banners during The SANFL days and there being a lot of power companies in Port Adelaide, whereas Pirates seems as bland and corporately as Giants to me and would be open to a lot of controversial jokes by the opposition fans. Did Port Adelaide even have Pirates? I feel it's probably the Port fans from before the AFL entry who despise it the most, as it replaced Port's almost century old identity of The Magpies. But for me, Power and Bombers are the most intimidating nicknames, it's bizarre a lot of Port fans on here reject a great identity.

Back