Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the supporters from before 1997 who hate it the most out of nostalgia for The Magpies. I think Power is a far superior nickname than Magpies, so much stuff out there that use the term Power to make it sound top tier like "Max Power".
No, it's the fact that people use it as an excuse to justify their agreement that we're "Port Power est 1997".

No, it's the fact that people use it as an excuse to justify their agreement that we're "Port Power est 1997".
They probably would have done that anyway even with "Port Pirates" but with an added slur in the middle. I'd just ignore their very selective and double standard thoughts on when a club is established.

They probably would have done that anyway even with "Port Pirates" but with an added slur in the middle. I'd just ignore their very selective and double standard thoughts on when a club is established.
Call me ignorant but I'm curious about the slur, because I'm definitely missing the reference.

It's also more than people liked to say (and still do) "you're not Port Adelaide, you're Port Power."

How so? I recognise the Port Adelaide F.C. was founded in 1870. However the portion of their history relevant to the VFL/AFL competition commenced in 1997.
I think the irony is that Port's Premiership count is often counted as "1" because the SANFL flags don't count (allegedly). Using that logic, Collingwood only has 3 AFL flags as any VFL and VGA flags don't count.

My interpretation.

I think the irony is that Port's Premiership count is often counted as "1" because the SANFL flags don't count (allegedly). Using that logic, Collingwood only has 3 AFL flags as any VFL and VGA flags don't count.

My interpretation.
Because people believe Port changing their nickname to "Power" means they're an entirely new club, which is like what they stated about how changing the name of something doesn't mean it's a new thing. People selectively apply it.

Call me ignorant but I'm curious about the slur, because I'm definitely missing the reference.

It's also more than people liked to say (and still do) "you're not Port Adelaide, you're Port Power."
Not sure I'm allowed to say it on it here, let's just say it's a body part, and it's offensive when the word is added with pirates. You're lucky they didn't go with Pirates, opposition supporters would have mocked Port's name far worse. Port Powder or Powerless is incredibly tame.

Last edited:
Using that logic, Collingwood only has 3 AFL flags as any VFL and VGA flags don't count.
VFL (1897-1989) and AFL (1990s present) is the SAME contiguous competition. All that happened was a name change. Of course premierships won in the SANFL, WAFL or EDFL can't count towards the official VFL/AFL premiership tally, that would be nonsensical.

VFL (1897-1989) and AFL (1990s present) is the SAME contiguous competition. All that happened was a name change. Of course premierships won in the SANFL, WAFL or EDFL can't count towards the official VFL/AFL premiership tally, that would be nonsensical.
My point is, people will use the logic of a name change to claim Port is a new club starting from the mid 1990's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

afl was a rebrand, the power was a spin off an expansion of an existing club
I find it interesting you don't see how very selective and double standard that take it, when you don't apply that same premise to the many other clubs who changed leagues or changed their nicknames like Melbourne did. Melbourne must have become a new club in 1897 when they joined The VFL, or in 1933 when they changed their nickname to Demons.

a bit more than a name change tbh
Port made it very clear in 1995 they were always maintaining the Port Adelaide Football Club company name even after acquiring The AFL license in 1994. The only difference was a new nickname, logo, uniform, colours, and league, which most VFL clubs had also gone through league and identity changes, but you don't apply the same establishment date logic to, and so you're creating a clear double standard and being arbitrarily selective.

Port made it very clear in 1995 they were always maintaining the Port Adelaide Football Club company name even after acquiring The AFL license in 1994. The only difference was a new nickname, logo, uniform, colours, and league, which most VFL clubs had also gone through league and identity changes, but you don't apply the same establishment date logic to, and so you're creating a clear double standard and being arbitrarily selective.

It’s just the unfortunate timing of having to do all of those things at the same time that boggles some of the smaller brains. If any club who’s changed colours, nickname and competition (almost all of them) had to do it at the same time we’d be seeing the same response. But because they were lucky enough to get to stagger it all, everyone acknowledges that the clubs are still the same club.

If anything, the Port Magpies were the spin off from Port Adelaide given they were forced to operate separately by the SANFL
Yeah I have recently come to terms with the fact that this is actually 100% true and I just never realised it. Perhaps I was willfully ignorant but then again its not my club and I won't pretend like I know the history of all other 16 clubs that aren't my own.

I always thought that the Magpies (1997-One Club) in the SANFL were the continuation of the Port Adelaide team that existed from 1870-1996 and that just isn't the case. Then again I think most people think this. I never realised the licence awarded by the AFL was for the Port Adelaide Football Club who were in the SANFL at the time. I always thought the licence was awarded to an entire new entity. I always thought that new entity shafted the Magpies to Ethelton and killed them. I didn’t know that team based at Ethelton were a composite side. I didn't realise all of this until the other day when I saw that launch video posted on Reddit. I also wasn't alive at the time so I'll plead some ignorance for that. 

Maybe that was hard for me to accept as a Norwood supporter because in my opinion nothing beats a Norwood v Port at Coopers Stadium on a Friday night. Maybe it means a little bit less to me now because Port got to play with the big boys whilst we are in a somewhat dying competition. 

This has also changed my perception on some of the things I previously believed about Port. 

I always thought it was wrong they went behind the back of the SANFL in 1990 to get the first South Australian licence. In fairness to them it probably would've been frustrating being in a state competition where Perth, Brisbane and Sydney have teams in the national competition and it would've sucked that they were one of only three clubs not in debt in what was a complete shitshow of a competition. In a perfect world Port got in for the 1991 season, Norwood came second in 1997 and then at some stage between 1997 and 2024 Sturt came in. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and the Crows were born in a courtroom, which in my opinion is pathetic. The Crows are a courtroom franchise, not a club but I'll leave it at that for my strong opinions on the Crows. I'll transfer my resentment of Port on this issue to the fact they f**ked up and got caught. 

Has my opinion on whether or not Port should wear the prison bar guernsey changed? I guess so? I like the idea of all 18 clubs having to have unique identities. I don’t like the Premier League argument because there’s 7000+ clubs in a pyramid that could play so clash is inevitable. I don’t think many people would want to see third kits in the AFL and watch the Crows play in orange and Carlton in green. If I was in charge of things I would probably be saying no to Port being the "Magpies" and wearing black and white because I think there shouldn’t be two black and white Magpie teams. I don't think that's an unreasonable take but then I have to ask myself would I be furious if Norwood got the 20th AFL licence and we couldn’t be red and blue? The answer is yes. However I like to imagine it would be a non-issue and Melbounre would be fine with it just to take the higher road and raddle Collingwood a little bit.

Where I stand on the issue is one of hypocrisy so I've decided to not let it bother me anymore and I'll get behind whatever the general consensus is amongst Port fans. In saying that I do think at some stage there needs to be either immediate change or acceptance because we'll get to the stage where most people alive don't even remember the Port Adelaide Football club prior to 1997 so why chase history when so much has already been built as an AFL club that is known as the Power and wears teal. If by some absolute divine miracle Norwood were the 20th team then Port absolutely has to wear the prison bar, it’s a straight up non-negotiable so for that reason I'll get behind wearing it. 

I’ve never thought the “Power” was a bad name. It’s in a family of some strong teams like the Melbourne Storm and Tampa Bay Lightning (I hate the LA Chargers so they don’t get a mention) and I think it has its place in 2024. I would’ve gone with Pirates myself though. 

I do still think Port have messed up a golden oppotunuty to play with a teal prison bar with their AFLW side. I would also love to see Port embrace pink like Penrith have in the NRL.

But you don’t need to me to tell you. I just wanted to apologise to all those I had probably annoyed over the years and maybe provide some education to those who like me just didn’t really know any better. In saying that my view on that Port and Adelaide shouldn’t have reserves teams in the SANFL absolutely stands and I don't think SANFL/VFA etc. flags should count to the VFL/AFL tally.

Just quietly, that light show was pure :fire:

It’s just the unfortunate timing of having to do all of those things at the same time that boggles some of the smaller brains. If any club who’s changed colours, nickname and competition (almost all of them) had to do it at the same time we’d be seeing the same response. But because they were lucky enough to get to stagger it all, everyone acknowledges that the clubs are still the same club.

Exactly. It happens in local leagues all the time when an established club moves to a nearby league and can't use the same nickname/colours as someone else, so they have to change. I don't understand how people can't recognise this.

Back