Racing Poll

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
more than 100 leading trainers, jockeys and owners contributed to this year's annual poll of horse racing's major issues. These were the results:

Q: Who is the best jockey currently riding in Australia?
A: Damien Oliver (43 per cent) from Corey Brown (16 per cent) and Hugh Bowman (11 per cent). Other to receive multiple votes were Craig Williams, Darren Beadman, Nash Rawiller, Chris Munce and Steven Arnold.

Q: Who is the best trainer?
A: Gai Waterhouse (23 per cent) from the maestro Bart Cummings (17 per cent). Peter Snowden (10 per cent) and Chris Waller (10 per cent) came next. A number of other trainers received votes including Lee Freedman, David Hayes, John Hawkes, Peter Moody, Mick Price, Joe Pride, David Payne and Mark Kavanagh.

Q: Who is the best racehorse?
A: The closest result ever for this category. Scenic Blast (12 per cent) was a narrow winner from Manhattan Rain and Takeover Target who both had 8 per cent of the vote. There was support for a number of other gallopers including Weekend Hussler, Phelan Ready, Theseo, Whobegotyou, Metal Bender, Typhoon Tracy, Vision And Power, Maldivian, Viewed, Apache Cat, Black Caviar, More Than Great, Mic Mac, Predatory Pricer and El Segundo among others. Indeed, there were many who did not answer this question, preferring to wait until after the spring carnival for racing’s new star to emerge.

Q: Who is the best racecaller?

A: Melbourne’s Greg Miles (26 per cent) was voted the nation’s best racecaller ahead of TVN’s highly accurate Mark Shean (17 per cent) with Sky Sports Radio’s Matt Hill and Alan Thomas also polling well.

Q: The race you most want to win?

A: The Melbourne Cup took this category. The nation’s most famous race had 23 per cent of the vote but the Golden Slipper (18 per cent) and Cox Plate (15 per cent) were also popular. There was also support for the Doncaster Mile, AJC Australian Derby and Caulfield Cup.

Q: Who is your favourite racing media personality in Australia?

A: Sky Channel’s Ron Dufficy (16 per cent) was the most popular media identity ahead of Sky Sports Radio’s Greg Radley (10 per cent) and The Daily Telegraph’s Ken Callander (10 per cent). Others to poll well were Sky Channel’s Tony Brassel, TVN’s Caroline Searcy and Richard Callander, and Sky Sports Radio’s ‘‘ Tommy from Campbelltown’’.

Q: What is the best race day of the season?

A: Derby Day at Flemington (41 per cent) is still regarded as the best meeting although Golden Slipper Day (25 per cent) continues to grow in popularity. Caulfield Guineas (10 per cent), Doncaster Mile (10 per cent) and AJC Australian Derby (8 per cent) were next while Hawkesbury’s stand-alone Saturday meeting and the Wagga Wagga Gold Cup meeting were deemed the best racedays out of the metropolitan area.

Q: What is your favourite racetrack?

A: Royal Randwick again was ranked favourite racetrack with 36 per cent of the vote. Flemington (25 per cent) was next from Rosehill Gardens (20 per cent).

Q: Should there be pacemakers in Australian racing?
A: Yes (53 per cent), No (47 per cent). ‘‘ I think there should be pacemakers in 2000m and above races,’’ one trainer said.

Q: Are the new whip riding rules, introduced recently, necessary?
A:Yes (19 per cent), No (81 per cent) ‘‘ The padded whip is good but the number of times the horse is allowed to be hit is ridiculous — jockeys have more to think about at the finish of a race than to count how many times they use the whip,’’ one trainer said. ‘‘ No! I could go on all day about this but I won’t — padded whips and regulations, please! I wish they could have used a bit of common sense and at least make it unlimited in the last 100m. I won’t be holding back in Group One races if I’m in a tight finish. I don’t care what the fine or suspension — I want to win Group Ones,’’ a champion jockey said.

Q: Should jumps racing be banned?
A: Yes (15 per cent), No (85 per cent) ‘‘ Definitely not — the racing industry should not give into the do-gooders. Their next attack will be directed to flat racing,’’ a trainer said.

Q: Should there be a merger of Sydney race clubs as is being mooted?
A: Yes (46 per cent), No (54 per cent) ‘‘ Merging could work but the process seems to be rushed. Let the madness subside and work out every little plus and minus before going one way or the other.’’

Q: Should racing have an all-weather racetrack in operation?
A: Yes (60 per cent), No (40 per cent) ‘‘ I thought that was supposed to be what the Kensington track was for.’’

Q: Should there be Friday night racing?
A: Yes (75 per cent), No (25 per cent). ‘‘ Most definitely’’

Q: What is the biggest threat/issue facing racing?
A: ‘‘Wagering operators not paying their way, causing prizemoney to decrease and in turn participants’ incomes dropping.’’ ‘‘ Small fields.’’ ‘‘ All our good horses being sold to Hong Kong and other places.’’ ‘‘ Resolving the ongoing issue with corporate bookmakers.’’ ‘‘ The Greenies.’’

Q: What is your pet hate in racing?
A: ‘‘Getting up too early. Tracks should open at 6am.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back