NO TROLLS Racism Bombshell Claim - Carlton and Essendon Named

Remove this Banner Ad

The below is a snippet from the Herald Sun this morning. Absolutely disgraceful the way some of these Aboriginal boys were treated. Not surprising really but still horrific.

‘Footy greats have been accused of vile racism against North Melbourne’s Krakouer brothers in an explosive class action levelled against the AFL.
Essendon greats Kevin Sheedy, Terry Daniher, Roger Merrett and Bill Duckworth, as well as Carlton’s four-time premiership hero Wayne Johnston, are named in a bombshell Supreme Court statement of claim that was lodged against the league last Tuesday.

The document alleges the Krakouer brothers were called “petrol sniffers”, “a--s” and “n-----s” in the 1980s’

Last edited:
How far do you want to go back, they just want money cannot let them get any, or it will never end.

Actually I would suggest the Aboriginal players concerned want closure and healing. They should be compensated for the horrors that would have damaged their lives significantly. You are condoning racism. Should we let murder charges from the past slide?

From what I remember in the 80s (was a child to an early teen) I think it was unfortunately common to refer to First Nations people as petrol sniffers (think I heard it in media/ talkback radio - as in some callers would state that First Nations people would just sit around and sniff gf petrol - and talkback hosts would not correct or challenge them). So for me a sign of where attitudes were in the 80s and I am not surprised that this would have been used as a hurtful sledge on field.

I guess this is part of "truth-telling" which is important.

As long as the complainants are telling their truthful stories too, should they have done anything in the past they regret.

Why not tackle the problems of violence, sexism, drinking and drug abuse, at the same time we tackle racism.

All as much a problem as each other, which should be treated seriously in modern society.

Actually I would suggest the Aboriginal players concerned want closure and healing. They should be compensated for the horrors that would have damaged their lives significantly. You are condoning racism. Should we let murder charges from the past slide?

Are you actually comparing racism and murder or was that not your intention with this post?

I guess this is part of "truth-telling" which is important.

As long as the complainants are telling their truthful stories too, should they have done anything in the past they regret.

Why not tackle the problems of violence, sexism, drinking and drug abuse, at the same time we tackle racism.

All as much a problem as each other, which should be treated seriously in modern society.

Truth telling is imperative for Aboriginal people.

From what I remember in the 80s (was a child to an early teen) I think it was unfortunately common to refer to First Nations people as petrol sniffers (think I heard it in media/ talkback radio - as in some callers would state that First Nations people would just sit around and sniff gf petrol - and talkback hosts would not correct or challenge them). So for me a sign of where attitudes were in the 80s and I am not surprised that this would have been used as a hurtful sledge on field.

Same vintage and yes. Racism was very common in society (although I am not sure it was as malicious as deliberate racism is today) and heard regularly in the crowd at the footy if an indigenous player was on the field.

money money money

If a person has suffered harm as a result of someone else's actions they are entitled to take action against that person. Whether it is true or not is determined in the process.

That is our legal system. Money is the only real compensation that can be requested under our system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little doubt there was racial abuse at the time and multiple in the media have previously conceded their involvement (Lyon and Derm with Chris Lewis).

The VFL should have been better with it. I'm not even sure Collingwood got a slap on the wrist for their banner after the Long vilification? images (40).jpeg

If the AFL were serious about things, they'd be having a sinking find if sorts to cover costs arising from things like this and other court cases.

Truth telling is imperative for Aboriginal people.

Is it a one sided event or are the claims allowed to be tested? No doubt that racist remarks would have been commonplace on the field back in the day. Hell, Tex was guilty of it, although not directed at the injured party, only a couple of years ago. If people genuinely suffered loss then I hope they get fair compensation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much every western country has gone through severe racism, or hard war torn times, Amercians even went through it with the civil war african/americans/native/indians.
It's very similar to what indigenous people have gone through here.

The problem with Australia & the media as a country we act like where only ones that have gone through it.
I think every club would have had racism through out there history at stage towards players.

Is it a one sided event or are the claims allowed to be tested? No doubt that racist remarks would have been commonplace on the field back in the day. Hell, Tex was guilty of it, although not directed at the injured party, only a couple of years ago. If people genuinely suffered loss then I hope they get fair compensation.
Isn’t that the entire point of this legal action?

Little doubt there was racial abuse at the time and multiple in the media have previously conceded their involvement (Lyon and Derm with Chris Lewis).

The VFL should have been better with it. I'm not even sure Collingwood got a slap on the wrist for their banner after the Long vilification?View attachment 1924102

If the AFL were serious about things, they'd be having a sinking find if sorts to cover costs arising from things like this and other court cases.
I've not seen that before
Is that a babies dummy in that picture on the banner?
Jeezus

How far do you want to go back, they just want money cannot let them get any, or it will never end.
Based on the tone of your post, we may as well throw away any unsolved murder cases from the 1970s-1980s too given it “was so long ago”.

Whether it’s the 80s or 2020s, you don’t call Indigenous Australians racial slurs. It can understandably impact them for a very long time, just like any other verbal abuse.

What’s worse is that it still happens today. Just last week we had Ezra Mam, an indigenous rugby player, being called a monkey on the field. It’s simply not acceptable.

I went to primary school on the NSW northern tablelands in the very early 90s. Halfway through kindergarten an Aboriginal kid joined the class and I still vividly remember everyone else referring to him as a “blacky”. The teachers corrected those that they heard using the term but that was it, there was no moment where we were all gathered and told what a hurtful term that was or why it shouldn’t be used. I was fortunate I had parents who did that but clearly not many others did.

If that was the case in the early 90s in a country town surrounded by smaller towns with high Aboriginal populations (ie it wasn’t like nobody had ever seen an Aboriginal kid before) then I can only imagine what it was like in inner-city football clubs and how such terms would have gone completely unchallenged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back