Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

1712191015310.png
Microsoft, those folks that bought us Microsoft Bob and Clippy, may have knocked off the error problem in Quantum computing by using virtual bits instead of Qubits directly, Big advance if it pans out, can't wait to try out an Quantum computing, AI enhanced Clippy MkII.

French noble, Georges-Louis Leclerc who one hundred years before Darwin had similar ideas about evolution of organisms.

Remember Wallace, of the famous line, came up with similar concepts of evolution independently during Darwin's later life. Ideas arise in the milieu of the times and clearly evolution time had come. A similar thing happened with atoms, the wonderfully named Democritus of Abdera proposed the concept of atoms in classical times, but it was only centuries later the ideas caught on. There was also Xenocrates the Strange, who proposed Quarks......

Peter Higgs just died at a ripe old age of 94. Perhaps one of the best known particle physicists because he proposed a havy boun as the mediator of mass, 40+ years after his insight it was found by CERN with the large hadron collider. A triumph for the Standard Model of particle physics.

It also lead to the discovery of the 5th force, no not it's not love, rather it's called the Yukawa coupling. This “fifth force” of nature complement the gravitational force, the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force. Below is a text book description, which I can't say I really understand.

Yukawa interaction is used to describe the nuclear force between a proton or a neutron, mediated by pions (which are pseudoscalar mesons). A Yukawa interaction is also used in the Standard Model to describe the coupling between the Higgs field and massless quark and lepton fields (i.e., the fundamental fermion particles). Through spontaneous symmetry breaking, these fermions acquire a mass proportional to the vacuum expectation value of the Higgs field.

Enough noise has been made to make the he SA government review it's terrible plans for the SA museum.

Hopefully it will change it's plans and allow continued access to researchers which it has been recently denying.

I have no problem with increased public engagement and the adventure park concept, I think it's great. But not at the cost of denying researchers access to the collection. That is criminal.

Enough noise has been made to make the he SA government review it's terrible plans for the SA museum.

Hopefully it will change it's plans and allow continued access to researchers which it has been recently denying.

I have no problem with increased public engagement and the adventure park concept, I think it's great. But not at the cost of denying researchers access to the collection. That is criminal.
At that point you might as well pack it up and send it to a museum that can give access.

This is really exciting, personalised mRNA vaccines for melanoma entering phase III trials. In the earlier phase II trials the vaccines dramatically reduced the risk of melanoma recurrence. A sample of melanoma is taken and an mRNA vaccine tailored to stimulate an immune response against the tumour. Brilliant. Melanoma is one of the the odd tumours that would sometimes would go into spontaneous remission, this is thought to be immunological.

After I read it I, thought about a friend of mine who died of Melenoma in his early 40's. There was more melanoma than 'him' left when he died, his liver was the size of a car fridge. It was awful.
I also thought about those poor thought disordered antivaxxers. Will they accept this evil, DNA destroying (in their minds) mRNA vaccine to save their lives or their children's lives? Some folks are going to face some interesting conundrums if this proves to be an effective treatment.

Let the cat out of the bag (box)! The famous Schrödinger's cat paradox might have been solved. Italian physicist, Matteo Carlesso and his team have tweaked the Schrödinger's equation and perhaps found an explanation why macroscopic objects don't show the same 'quantum uncertainty' as tiny, fundamental particles do.

In their tweaked version of quantum physics, the researchers eliminated the distinction between objects subject to measurement and measuring devices. Instead, they proposed that each system's state undergoes spontaneous collapse at regular intervals, leading to the acquisition of definite values for some of their attributes.

For large systems, spontaneous collapse occurs frequently, rendering them classical in appearance. Subatomic objects interacting with these systems become part of them, leading to rapid collapse of their state and the acquisition of definite coordinates, akin to measurement.

"With no action from external entities, any system localizes (or collapses) spontaneously in a particular state. In place of having a cat being dead AND alive, one finds it dead OR alive," Carlesso said.

This is all theoretical and will need some difficult experiments to see if their is evidence to support this.

For the scholars the original article is here https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/JHEP02(2024)193

Remove this Banner Ad

Back