Roast Rants, off-topic banter, who ignores who & what Greg Williams' relatives know

Remove this Banner Ad

Snake

Do you believe only a positive comment is a fair one, or correct one?
No not at all.
All my point was, the CURRENT board seems to be making to be making very pro active steps to improve the fortunes onfield/off field as quickly as they can.
Untill they fail, any negativity aimed towards them is totaly pointless IMO.
It might take another two yrs untill things being put into place now start to blossom. Untill then you have to have faith.
Not blind faith. But faith.

Until you see evidence

Isn't it blind faith?

I want the admin to do well....

I am hopeful Finnis, AR are making good calls... But can't be certain, so until I see tangible improvement... And better performance... I'll hold my proclamations...

I have seen no evidence we are failing in our quest either though...

Except for the title of this very thread... And our proposed more investment in NZ. But that is only my opinion

I'm not convinced about Alan, in all honesty.

However I think that the admin, corporate structure, is more relevant to this discussion.

Alan is the senior coach, and unlikely to impact corporate growth, membership, finances.

Until you see evidence

Isn't it blind faith?

I want the admin to do well....

I am hopeful Finnis, AR are making good calls... But can't be certain, so until I see tangible improvement... And better performance... I'll hold my proclamations...

I have seen no evidence we are failing in our quest either though...

Except for the title of this very thread... And our proposed more investment in NZ. But that is only my opinion
Thats just where we differ i guess mate.
If i get a new boss at work i dont think " this bloke is gonna be absolutely crap" untill he does something to win me over.
You gotta back them in untill they maybe do something wrong.

Anyway lets just agree to disagree :thumbsu: before Kildonan puts his foot down again about getting off topic :p:p

My Sainters

I think the supporter base is curious... It was in 2001...

We understand we have to look past current and project our thoughts... To about 2018

When we watch Paddy... We imagine with his glimpses of talent... Where he MAY take us.
We are on a journey... That's the interest

But we should be realistic about where we are at.... Not suggest success before it has arrived... Accept It will be bumpy... And truth is, there are no guarantees of arriving at desired destination.

I just don't try and convince myself of things in hope

I hope the players also understand what is ahead... Not sure all supporters do? Some believe we have already won a flag this decade... ATM we are 18th

Well snake

At least it's discussion

This place couldn't have been more boring in the last month.. IMO of course

Would you say that about Sheeds... MS

The senior team is responsible for all of those things... They generate success...

Alan is responsible for them

You cannot sell a poor product... For long or for much

AFL is a results driven game.... Only when we are successful can we expect to compete with other successful clubs

BigMart there is clear progress there.

Dare Iced Coffee isn't exactly a top headline sponsor; its not the international car company some had suggested for example. But last year we effectively didn't have a main sponsor - Ledified did a little top-up but they basically got tier 1 sponsorship for tier 2 cash. So having a sponsor for 2015, is progress on 2014.

The ladder position is somewhat inevitable.
There will always be a difference of opinion over whether it would have been better from 2012 onwards to retain older players, continue to top-up at a regular rate and aim to stay around the 8. However given the club's financial situation, we were/are not in position to throw silly money at people to get players in. Free agents (good ones) cost a packet, trades cost draft picks. The reason "the plan" from Pelchen et al stipulated increasing draft picks in the first 3 rounds, was due to an appreciation that every other club gets 3 picks in the first 3 rounds, minimum. And other clubs have the benefit of F/S, academies etc. So in order to overtake (or even catch up with) other clubs, we need to recruit more and better. Draft position is no guarantee of career success, but it is based around career projection and that's all scouts can go off.
If anything it could be argued that, given our decision in 2013 to clear decks and bring in more draft picks, that actually we haven't done enough - we're as well being terrible so we can get the full benefit of the equality provisions the AFL has in place.

The financial position is inherited, and you can't just get out of it. It needs to be worked out of slowly by engaging with more and more income avenues, from corporate partners to membership numbers to the Ettihad situation to relationship with our club's local region(s).

The membership number is a positive in some ways, negative in others. It actually probably sits as a marker of the challenges the club faces - it seems a lot of supporters have disappeared in the lean times, which disappoints me.
The latest campaign is certain being spun as a positive, and is being used to push publicity and portray a positive situation. I actually agree however that its not something I am ready to blindly praise the board over. I feel the fairly drastic slow down in numbers since December shows that they weren't actually reaching out to new groups and difficult leads and winning "new business", they were actually just taking the quick-hit easy business and getting renewals in asap and people likely to sign up anyway. Given the membership number it seems likely there's also been a bit of attrition of members which is sad to see. The facebook campaign even basically said, "if you know someone who wants to sign up, message us and we'll get a player to call them." That sort of thing doesn't really boost the end number at all. However what it does do, same as signing up/renewing most of our list in a way that every other club pretty much did too, is build something positive out of what could have been nothing. Membership renewals could have passed without a campaign, being around 20k at Christmas with barely a mention, and then we launch a standard membership campaign in Jan/Feb same as other clubs. Instead, knowing there is a need for the Saints to have good news to put out, the 25 by 25 at least gave us something positive to put on the website and email the Saints mailing list about. That creates a bandwagon-type feel that people who aren't members, but maybe bought something from the shop in the past for example, might be convinced into buying a membership.
For me the 25 by 25 is being overplayed. But that's deliberate, the whole thing is spun to create a positive thing to point to.
The only thing that disappoints me about membership situation is the stories members mention on here about the service from the club - losing seats and losing their matchday experience without having the chance to even speak to the club about it. People being auto-renewed with errors, and also not being able to get sense out of the club over it. Even when I took out an international digi membership last year - Saints is potentially a 48hr turnaround (mine was actually about 8), Hawthorn's is instant/automatic. These little things frustrate the people that the club should look after the most.
What is good is seeing the club now doing the things other clubs have done for a while in terms of giving the membership campaign a real push.

These things above, are being done to boost the profile. I am fairly naturally pessimistic, so like Big Mart to an extent, I do kind of see through some of the positive spin from the club. Things aren't as good as their PR pieces would have us believe. But they're not doom and gloom either. And those positive pieces are being done deliberately in order to boost our profile, which in turn will have an effect on sponsors, members, potential recruitment and those things in turn affect the balance sheet. So there is a definite plan there.
The progress? The progress is that the plan is there and it's really rather obvious - and that I couldn't have said that 2-3 years ago when frankly there was just a bunch of things would happen at sporadic times in the year.

Last edited:
Sooooo after our regular bout of negativity blew in let me respond to the 'Seaford hasn't been given a chance' crew.

It matters not one iota what we all think & argue about. The facts are that there has been a push from the board that started about 18 months ago to get back to Linton St. The JO option came out of nowhere & was an AFL proposal that our new administration happily went along with.

As I stated before the motivation behind getting back to Moorabbin is all about the players & media. You cannot compare Seaford to Geelong as one is a major regional centre & the other is an outer suburb with little attraction as a destination for young men with a high disposable income. Yes the Peninsula is a fantastic place but the most attractive places for players to live there (Mt Eliza, Sorrento, Porter, etc) are too expensive even for elite sportsmen on good coin. Many Geelong players live in Torquay or Barton Heads which are much more affordable.

You don't have to agree with me but the simple facts are that the majority players want to live in the inner suburbs.

As for the media well, they are a necessary evil that the club needs.

A Saints shop in downtown Franghanistan, right next to the methadone clinc and opposite the injection room, just down from Centrelink.....no thanks, wouldn't get me within 10 kms of that crime ridden, drug infested shithole.

Pull ya head in!
People like you that stir the pot and think your funny..
Flog of the year contender here.

The most disappointing thing about our recent past is the club hasnt made the most $$$ of the on field strength they had. For me this is mainly brought about by the continued instabilities off field.

The club has a history of dramas and there have been far too many sagas and slumps over the journey. To be honest I can understand why some members have not returned to the club. Being a St Kilda supporter is akin to the cycle of 'domestic voilence', we went through the 'blow ups' & 'honey moon' phases and we are now going through the 'make up' and 'build up' phase. The one constant remaining with supporting our beloved club is that there will always be 'let downs', followed by more 'blow ups'!

Until we can change our history off field our destiny as a club will always remain the same!

No matter where we base ourselves IMO the club needs to show that it can maintain some stability off and on the field for a sustained period before the naysayer members will return.

The current board and executive are heading the right direction but history tells us it will be cyclic!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pull ya head in!
People like you that stir the pot and think your funny..
Flog of the year contender here.
Wouldn't be the 1st time he has won FLOG of the year

I am not trying to be funny, it's a crime ridden, drug infested shithole and I certainly wouldn't be wanting my kids to go down there to visit a potential Saints shop.

And you had a go at me for questioning Tom Lee being in our best 22....

You've just offended an entire postcode.

BS

At least you've made me look good

That comment is disgraceful, and god forbid your posh little kids have to step foot into the real world and toughen up.... Obviously softies.

I am guessing there are a lot of houses you couldn't afford to buy the front gates off in parts of Frankston.... And a lot of people who earn more money in a week than you do in a year... Living in Frankston Sth.

Ever heard of Lowes construction, and Graham Quarries.... Their kids 'step foot' in Frankston... As they live down that way.

Your arrogance and rudeness is embarrassing

BS

At least you've made me look good

That comment is disgraceful, and god forbid your posh little kids have to step foot into the real world and toughen up.... Obviously softies.

I am guessing there are a lot of houses you couldn't afford to buy the front gates off in parts of Frankston.... And a lot of people who earn more money in a week than you do in a year... Living in Frankston Sth.

Ever heard of Lowes construction, and Graham Quarries.... Their kids 'step foot' in Frankston... As they live down that way.

Your arrogance and rudeness is embarrassing
Frankston South is in Frankston South Einstein, not Frankston.

Here are the facts, don't get emotional, just move out of there !

http://m.smh.com.au/national/as-cri...hetamines-emerge-as-link-20141107-11i30n.html

Lowes Construction, wow, is that the depth of the people you know? If so, that's very funny.

Last edited:
Mate you're such a good person... Because of where you live.

Can tell by your post that your one of these w***ers who consider themselves and their family pretty special...
When In fact you're middle of the road nobodies that are anything but...
You post on Big Footy FFS

You should be proud of yourself, especially your arrogance...

A couple of BTWs
I don't live in Frankston... Not even close.
The manager of Lowes is worth about 50M... I don't personally know him

I am not trying to be funny, it's a crime ridden, drug infested shithole and I certainly wouldn't be wanting my kids to go down there to visit a potential Saints shop.

When was the last time you actually went there? Your just going off the stereotype of the area, which as you grow older and more mature you know that's not what you should do. Don't judge a book by its cover. But sadly people like you still do.
If I were to judge stkilda by what people say, prostitutes would be the main drawing card.

Mate you're such a good person... Because of where you live.

Can tell by your post that your one of these ******s who consider themselves and their family pretty special...
When In fact you're middle of the road nobodies that are anything but...
You post on Big Footy FFS

You should be proud of yourself, especially your arrogance...

A couple of BTWs
I don't live in Frankston... Not even close.
The manager of Lowes is worth about 50M... I don't personally know him
The manager of Lowes is worth $50 million? He must be a good 'manager', most managers are on around 75k. Perhaps you mean owner? If Frankston was such the desirable locale you are suggesting it is we would all be falling over ourselves to move into the $245,000 mansions.

Anyway, I have always avoided this section of the board, it's for morons like you.

The manager of Lowes is worth $50 million? He must be a good 'manager', most managers are on around 75k. Perhaps you mean owner? If Frankston was such the desirable locale you are suggesting it is we would all be falling over ourselves to move into the $245,000 mansions.

Anyway, I have always avoided this section of the board, it's for morons like you.
And yet here you are on here, says a lot about you moron.

It can be fun reading a bit of a heated debate between a few blokes. But when it starts getting too personal and stuff like peoples kids get mentioned and we start swearing at each other its pretty bloody childish .
We are all StKilda supporters , thats why we are here. Be argumentative and disagree strongly by all means, and a few witty jibes never hurt anybody . But if its gonna get worse than that then its just like the wankfest in Bay 13.
Lets get back on track:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back