Preview Rd 4 Carlton v St Kilda Sat April 25 - 1:10 NZST - Wellington (11.10am AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preview - Hussey14

Carlton vs. St Kilda
Round 4 – Anzac Day
11:10am @ Westpac Stadium

Last Time We Met
Round 16 – 2014.
CARLTON 6.2 10.2 17.6 24.7 (151)
ST KILDA 2.0 7.5 9.5 10.6 (66)

The Blues kicked off to a strong start with the Saints pegging back to be down by 16 at half time. The story of the game though was the second half finish by the Blues piling on 14 goals to 3 with 4 majors each to Henderson, Casboult and White which ended in a 85 point win. Everitt and Docherty were also stand-outs both finishing with 2 goals and 23 & 25 touches respectively. Carlton’s biggest score of the year.
Brownlow Votes – (3) A. Everitt (2) S. White (1) L. Henderson.

Possible Teams

B. Docherty Jamison Touhy
F. Membrey Bruce Billings
HB. Byrne Rowe Armfield
HF. Savage Riewoldt Templeton
C. Simpson Judd Walker
C. Weller Steven Minchington
HF. Bell Henderson Menzel
HB. Newnes Robertson Shenton
F. Jones Casboult Gibbs
B. Geary Delaney Dempster
Fol. Warnock Murphy Carrazzo
Fol. Longer Dunstan Armitage
Int. Everitt Whiley Cripps Boekhorst
Int. Sinclair Saad Fisher Webster​

Ins.
Warnock – We are struggling in the hit outs with Wood and pending a fitness test, I see Warnock coming in. 34 hit-outs and 20 disposals
Boekhorst – Was a toss-up between him and Buckley. 25 disposals in VFL.
Whiley – Time to see what this kid has. 29 disposals in VFL with 1 goal.
Menzel - Straight in pending injury.

Outs
Curnow – Red vest and only managed the 8 disposals.
Yarran – Suspended.
Wood – A bit unlucky but think this is the way it might go. 23 hit outs and 13 disposals.
Ellard – Needs to be able to go through the midfield more. 11 disposals and a goal.

Previous Week

Collingwood 21.14.140 def. St Kilda 10.6.66
Saints came out firing in the first and looked to have the pies number but turnovers killed them from quarter time onwards. Armitage battled all night long and Schneider showed he is still an important piece to the Saints structure.

Carlton 11.18.84 def. by Essendon 16.9.105
The Blues overcame a slow first half to almost snatch the win from the Bombers. Were wasteful in front of goal having 4 more scoring shots and smashing Essendon in the contested footy. The story of the day though was Chris Yarrans left hook to Chapman who will no doubt be out this week.

Keys to Success

Nullify Riewoldt - He would have to be the fittest CHF in the league and runs himself into the ground week in week out. All of the Blues big defenders will have to pitch it to get the job done as I can’t see just one of them running up and down the wing all day with him. Will be a nice learning experience for Jaksch if both play, we can’t afford to ignore Bruce who has kicked 10 goals in the first 3 games of the year.

Contested Footy/Outside Run – The Blues were well below the league average (138) in contested footy with 123 per game before this week’s game against Essendon. Carlton looks to struggle once getting it out of the pack now and require some outside pace to translate into more inside 50’s which we are currently averaging 46 compared to the league average of 52.

Tall Timber to Fire – Saints fans could be silenced early if the Carlton big forwards fire up. They seem to be confidence players so getting a few early ones to them could be pivotal in a win for the Blues. Won’t be an easy task for Saints defenders with Robertson (194cm), Delaney (194cm), Dempster (191cm) & Fisher (191cm) having to match the likes of Casboult (199cm), Jones (198cm), Rowe (198cm) and Henderson (196cm).

Who Wins
I think the Blues have too much class and experience to be rolled here and will get the first win of the season. Carlton by 22 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure who goes out at this stage but I'd like to see Whiley and maybe Boekhorst come in next week. Hopefully Jaksch and Menzel are fit enough to come back in as well.

Out: Curnow, Ellard, Yarran (susp.)
In: Whiley, Buckley, Graham/Boekhorst

Tough for me to drop Ellard, but we need to blood some of these young guys. Menzel is not an automatic inclusion.

FB: Simpson Jamison Docherty
HB: Byrne Henderson Tuohy
C: Walker Judd Everitt
HF: Murphy Jones Armfield
FF: Buckley Casboult Rowe
R: Wood Gibbs Cripps
INT: Carrazzo Whiley Bell
Sub: Graham/Boekhorst

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh gawd I have to get up early to watch the game. :straining:

Joaquin-Phoenix_OMG_zpsb01lslz0.gif

That's not early! Gee it is 50mins off midday, i guess my 5am wake ups for work 6 days a week makes 8am seem late and a decent sleep in.:cool:

Docherty was very sore at the end of the game. He re hurt his knee that he had heavily taped before the start of the game trying for the slips catch late in the last. Hope he comes up for next week. Just love his intercept marking. A real tryer. And I have been told he is very much potential captain material!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back