Recruit of the Year (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering has been the best key defender in the league for 5 years and still struggles to make the 40. The AFL mafia will still put Harris Andrews, Tom Stewart and Sam Taylor in before anyone else, regardless of form. And then when we speak about form, Ben McKay is certainly still no lock.
Agreed, but must be in the conversation.

Weitering has been the best key defender in the league for 5 years and still struggles to make the 40. The AFL mafia will still put Harris Andrews, Tom Stewart and Sam Taylor in before anyone else, regardless of form. And then when we speak about form, Ben McKay is certainly still no lock.
Darcy Moore and Harris Andrews have been better then Weitering for a 5 year period.

This would suggest that either your assessment is wrong, or everyone else is wrong.

McKay at Essendon is the one. Not only has he been excellent individually seems to have massively improved their whole defensive structure.

Ginnivan a bit of a sleeper at the Hawks. While he hasn’t actually played that well so far every Hawks fan can see what he brings in terms of footy IQ and skill. You just know he’ll have big games at some point.

Also, while it’s his second season across from Freo at the Hawks, Lloyd Meek is now coming on strong-new ruck rules really suit his bullocking style.

Pretty happy with Elijah Hollands so far. Slotted in at HFF very well, oozes class.
Orazio not so much.

Gotta be Ben McKay for output or Jeremy Sharp for cost.

Brodie Grundy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a free hit, still might work out in some important game somewhere along the line.

I thought so too but he looks either past it or he can't play at a high intensity without doing a soft tissue injury, so he coasts through at 70% to preserve himself, perhaps a directive until the season ramps up.

A few big games in the second half of the year would be great. But he'll be lucky to get a game once Martin, Motlop and Fogarty are fit. They like Durdin too.

Ben McKay a clear number 1..worth every $$$..irrelevant what Essendon are paying him this season as it’s a massively front ended contract. Over the length of his deal, he will be under paid. Cost the Bombers zero in draft capital as well.

Goldstein, Duursma & Gresham were all excellent recruits as well. Essendon smashed the 2023 off-season.

The best value recruit has been Jeremy sharp. He’s become one of the best pure wingman in the AFL. Incredible to think the Suns gave up on him & only Fremantle showed interest. He’s elite at his role & would be getting a game at every other club.
Has anyone checked on Wild Bill or Nostradumbass ?

Plenty was being said paying overs, not worth the $$ etc. etc etc. Is this the first time Dodoro has a win:win (Roos picked up Zane Dursma did they not?)

Yup and the most impressive Dons have done - get him fit and on the park.

Seemed like the Roos could never do this.

At North he had 8 wins in 7 seasons

At Dons* he's already had 6 wins in 9 games
6 seasons at North

Ironically, if Pies game went in our favour, the matching win (assuming goes our way this week) would be against his former employer

Some times the footballing gods just know

Is it Grundy? it's Grundy!
Maybe it's the Pie in me but I never really thought Grundy was THAT good.
Not that he is not a very good player.

Just did not ever really get the hype.
Darcy Cameron replaced him seamlessly.

Maybe it's the Pie in me but I never really thought Grundy was THAT good.
Not that he is not a very good player.

Just did not ever really get the hype.
Darcy Cameron replaced him seamlessly.
I mean no disrespect to Naismith and Hickey, but really we've been using stop gap ruck options for so long that having an AA ruck has elevated our midfield group out of sight. Also his follow up work and tackling has been immense

In '19 / '20 we were forced to use Aliir Aliir in the ruck for decent amounts of time. '22 was only good because Hickey and Reid had abnormally good years at the same time.

Watch the 10 minute period after half time against Carlton a fortnight ago, we were walking it in because he was so dominant in the middle.

If Gawn wasn't also having a career year Grundy would be a lock for AA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back