Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: simpson

He came from a very small town yalgoo in basic desert like conditions. So he's not really from perth, nor does he (from what i have heard) have immediately family in perth.also have been told that the 2 incidents were; one being out of shape after the christmas break. second was he didn't front up after being dropped after a good game as sub. obviously they werent the reasons he got cut but they are the two major incidents i heard.

As far as talent goes. he's basically the perfect wingman. the game before he got selected was just outstanding for peel, best on ground performance from a wing/half forward is quite uncommon. he is similar to stephen hill 3 years ago but kicks both sides, better around goal, touch less burst speed and a lot less work ethic. i am a big fan but would not go near him until he sorts his life out a bit. He's not really an option IMO but he is great to watch.

I don't think it's a long bow to make a comparison with Garlett - he wasn't willing to put the hard yards in at Hawthorn. This is separate to his 'bad boy' image.

The AFL clubs in general provide a tremendous amount of support to the players - it's required of them as outlined in the CBA agreement between the AFL and AFLPA. If Fremantle couldn't make it work with Simpson in his home state, it's highly unlikely that he'll be any better off at Port Adelaide, even if he does remain in WA for the first year. At some point he's going to have to cross the Nullarbor and live in a wholly new environment. Sometimes it just is better to leave a player alone, completely, so they can play some local footy, mature at their own pace and then decide if they want an AFL career or not.
We could look at most of our squad before Ken and Burgo and question the work ethic of players who just didn't know any better? If you work anywhere doing anything that is performance based you will often see being in a environment that somebody isn't happy with manifest itself in things along the lines of attitude and work ethic.... then watch attitude and work ethic turn around when moved an environment they find more positive.... We look at a rookie spot we have Josh working with our indigenous program maybe we can push buttons Freo couldn't?

Just possibilities if we like him. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just writing a kid off because he couldn't adjust to being at Fremantle in that particular program. That is without knowing anything of the program they had in place for him. I am interested in specifics if anyone does know?

Last edited:
Have no idea but from what has been posted there are no character issues as such.
May need some guidance and support but we are as good as anyone for that sort of thing nowadays.

Perhaps suffered a bit under Sanderson, was picked late so never got a decent preseason and yet more than held his own in a team full of individuals and at SANFL level as a skinny-ish kid this year. Many Crowies were surprised he got the chop. Tidy player, wouldn't be a stupid idea to offer him a training spot and a gig on the rookie list as a speculative option.

Also helps he comes from a Port loving family and was a die hard Port fan himself.

I thought before he was drafted to the cows that he would be worth a shot ... and I was very surprised to see the cows delist him ... I do think that under Burgo he could do well ...

We could look at most of our squad before Ken and Burgo and question the work ethic of players who just didn't know any better? If you work anywhere doing anything that is performance based you will often see being in a environment that somebody isn't happy with manifest itself in things along the lines of attitude and work ethic.... then watch attitude and work ethic turn around when moved an environment they find more positive.... We look at a rookie spot we have Josh working with our indigenous program maybe we can push buttons Freo couldn't?

Just possibilities if we like him. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just writing a kid off because he couldn't adjust to being at Fremantle in that particular program. That is without knowing anything of the program they had in place for him. I am interested in specifics if anyone does know?

It's possible, not probable. I'm not writing him off, I just feel he needs to get the personal sorted before he decides on the professional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id be keen to look at Spina. Was keen on him pre draft. Battersby no. Having watched him a few times this year, his game wont transfer to AFL at all. Short, slow, fat, outside players with poor kicks dont tend to make it.

Kane Lucas no. I dont think ive ever seen someone look so scared on a football field.

Liked for the Lucas observation. Completely useless and terrified spud. I can't believe he played as much as he did.

I think this statement says a lot about melbournes development program

"Melbourne had seven top 20 draft picks across 2008 and 2009 and only three - Jack Watts, Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott - remain at the club."

Looking forward to this draft. Could find that diamond in the rough. A lot of delisted players that could have potential. As for a player like Josh Simpkin, he might not be in the right environment. The influence of Neade and now Ryder could be the difference and Ross Lyon isn't exactly the nurturing type IMO. I don't think Pearce has improved as a player the coach is quick to point fingers at people when things go wrong. I can't see players wanting to win for the coach over at Freo. Only issue is that we already have a lot of small forwards.

No he isn't, he has been under-developed at Melbourne.

He isthe worst of Pittard with none of the payoff. Runs into trpuble, cant kick, cant find the ball. All he is is quick.

I think this statement says a lot about melbournes development program

"Melbourne had seven top 20 draft picks across 2008 and 2009 and only three - Jack Watts, Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott - remain at the club."

How about this statement: "Melbourne drafted Toumpas over Wines".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back