Senior Reece Torrent (2023-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 184cm

Weight: 83kg

D.O.B: 03-08-2005

It does not take an extensive viewing of Torrent to see why he is a draftable talent, with his skills, poise and football nous giving him a sound base of attributes to be a solid player at the next level. In what is widely considered to be a shallow draft pool, he presents as a viable option for clubs looking to bolster their list with a classy player in the latter rounds.

Last edited:

Reece Torrent is a classy, smooth-moving left-footer who is known for his football smarts and pin-point kicking.

So, it’s not surprising to hear that he models his game off Collingwood superstar Scott Pendlebury.

And if the Peel Thunder product can have even half the career of Pendlebury, who has two premierships in 383 games and is still going, it will be one to remember.

“The way he goes about it and how composed he is – he is one of the smartest players out there,” Torrent told The West Australian.

“He’s someone myself and probably a lot of people would like to play like.

“Watching Pendlebury he’s never stressing out. He always looks like he’s got so much time, so I try to get that into my game and try to be as composed as I can be.”

Torrent is one of several West Australian teenagers hoping to hear his name called during the AFL Draft later this month after 24 months to remember.

The 18-year-old was one of the Thunder’s best in their colts premiership victory last season, kicking two goals from 24 touches and eight marks in the thrilling win over West Perth.

Torrent started this season in the colts, dominating in the opening five games before playing for WA at the Under-18 Championships.

When he returned the Thunder decided to give him a taste of senior football, with the half-back playing four games in the reserves before earning a league debut in the final round of the season.

“I’m proud of the past two years. Winning the grand final last season was one of my proudest moments … this year I set a goal early that I wanted to get a league game and I was fortunate enough to get one,” Torrent said.

“It is a hard team to break into, there’s such quality players with the Fremantle alignment as well but it was also a great opportunity because through the finals series, we got to train with the Dockers boys.

“It was an opportunity to get better and learn from them.”

Torrent has been busy since Peel’s season ended trying to keep his mind off the draft, turning his attention to two of his favourite hobbies – fishing and the gym.

“I love to hang out on the boat as well as go four-wheel driving with my mates. It’s a great way to catch up with them,” Torrent said.

“Dad has always had a boat so we’ve always gone out. It’s a good opportunity for us to catch up as well away from everything else.

“We talk about anything but footy really. The odd (footy) conversation will come up but it’s more of a genuine catch-up.”

On the field, Torrent is one of the more reliable players out of WA and put it on full display in the Under-18 Championships when he averaged 17 disposals, four inside 50s and three score involvements.

“Reece is a versatile player and has been able to play in several positions over the past few years – That being half-back, on ball, wing or half-forward,” WA talent boss Adam Jones said.

“He is a beautiful kick of the footy and has composure with the ball in hand.

“He is also a fantastic character, very coachable and a driven young man.”

Reece Torrent is a classy, smooth-moving left-footer who is known for his football smarts and pin-point kicking.

So, it’s not surprising to hear that he models his game off Collingwood superstar Scott Pendlebury.

And if the Peel Thunder product can have even half the career of Pendlebury, who has two premierships in 383 games and is still going, it will be one to remember.

“The way he goes about it and how composed he is – he is one of the smartest players out there,” Torrent told The West Australian.

“He’s someone myself and probably a lot of people would like to play like.

“Watching Pendlebury he’s never stressing out. He always looks like he’s got so much time, so I try to get that into my game and try to be as composed as I can be.”

Torrent is one of several West Australian teenagers hoping to hear his name called during the AFL Draft later this month after 24 months to remember.

The 18-year-old was one of the Thunder’s best in their colts premiership victory last season, kicking two goals from 24 touches and eight marks in the thrilling win over West Perth.

Torrent started this season in the colts, dominating in the opening five games before playing for WA at the Under-18 Championships.

When he returned the Thunder decided to give him a taste of senior football, with the half-back playing four games in the reserves before earning a league debut in the final round of the season.

“I’m proud of the past two years. Winning the grand final last season was one of my proudest moments … this year I set a goal early that I wanted to get a league game and I was fortunate enough to get one,” Torrent said.

“It is a hard team to break into, there’s such quality players with the Fremantle alignment as well but it was also a great opportunity because through the finals series, we got to train with the Dockers boys.

“It was an opportunity to get better and learn from them.”

Torrent has been busy since Peel’s season ended trying to keep his mind off the draft, turning his attention to two of his favourite hobbies – fishing and the gym.

“I love to hang out on the boat as well as go four-wheel driving with my mates. It’s a great way to catch up with them,” Torrent said.

“Dad has always had a boat so we’ve always gone out. It’s a good opportunity for us to catch up as well away from everything else.

“We talk about anything but footy really. The odd (footy) conversation will come up but it’s more of a genuine catch-up.”

On the field, Torrent is one of the more reliable players out of WA and put it on full display in the Under-18 Championships when he averaged 17 disposals, four inside 50s and three score involvements.

“Reece is a versatile player and has been able to play in several positions over the past few years – That being half-back, on ball, wing or half-forward,” WA talent boss Adam Jones said.

“He is a beautiful kick of the footy and has composure with the ball in hand.

“He is also a fantastic character, very coachable and a driven young man.”
Shame Matho and Fullerton aren’t at the club given their love of boating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back