Autopsy Review - Dogs win back to back games to once again become flag favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond board is embarassing. Yes, we probably benefited from some helpful umpiring. No, it wasn't probably as consequential or beneficial to us as they make out, we copped a few bad decisions too. No, there isn't some conspiracy against Richmond. No, the fact that they have come last on the free kick differential for a few years isn't further proof of a conspiracy or a statistical impossibility but probably due to playing a game style that means they give frees more than they win (as with us and our positive differential).

Umpiring chat is bizarre. Of course there'll be discussions about if certain decisions were correct, with a bias. But the differential and conspiracy chat is just strange. You don't see soccer fans quoting free kick or penalty differentials as some sort of proof that the refs have it in for them or something. Arguably frees for/against should be a hidden stat, not promoted as heavily as kicks or contested possessions, but one that you have to hunt for like metres gained - a stat, but of far lesser importance than given.

Have they admitted that Hannan was legged 5m out from goal yet?

People will laugh at this but both had important moments in the last qtr that contributed to us winning.
McComb should get the brownlow and Hannan the Norm Smith, plus the GF win this year,
Disagree entirely there, Lobb rucked 3 CBs in their run of 7 (first being after they kicked their first of 7) the first CBA he won cleanly and we won the clearance, the 2nd was a 50/50 they scraped the clearance from which ended up in a crap goal with Bruce and Crozier making a shambles in defence and the 3rd was a clear win to Ryan they took it forward but for no result as we cleared it.

The first half of the run was all off half back and the last 3 goals that actually came from centre clearances were all off Timmy rucking. To be honest Bont has a lot to answer for in that run of goals because if he kicks his routine set shot it’s probably 3 maybe 4 goals to 1 in the run and we settle it down, instead it’s 7-0.

It’s a massive stretch to write any of that run off on Lobb
Yes, I agree. It was a crucial time of the game. Bont kicks that goal and it becomes a comfortable win for the dogs. But it is speculation and not reality. Bont has to get better at those crucial things.

Richmond supporters are nasty and bitter because even though they have won three premierships, it doesn’t quite erase the 30 years of being the AFL basket case. They can’t quite forget little things like being belted by us in round 1 by over 100 points in 2006, or losing a final to the ninth team Carlton, or kicking the wrong way in a final or their terrible drafting, or which at best made them mediocre at worst, terrible. Credit to them they turned it around eventually, but their insecurity is still on show.

Compare them to Hawthorn supporters who despite losing the chance of going four straight flags to us, were generous with GF info and were genuinely pleased for us. That’s a supporter base that doesn’t feel insecure.

Richmond board is embarassing. Yes, we probably benefited from some helpful umpiring. No, it wasn't probably as consequential or beneficial to us as they make out, we copped a few bad decisions too. No, there isn't some conspiracy against Richmond. No, the fact that they have come last on the free kick differential for a few years isn't further proof of a conspiracy or a statistical impossibility but probably due to playing a game style that means they give frees more than they win (as with us and our positive differential).

Umpiring chat is bizarre. Of course there'll be discussions about if certain decisions were correct, with a bias. But the differential and conspiracy chat is just strange. You don't see soccer fans quoting free kick or penalty differentials as some sort of proof that the refs have it in for them or something. Arguably frees for/against should be a hidden stat, not promoted as heavily as kicks or contested possessions, but one that you have to hunt for like metres gained - a stat, but of far lesser importance than given.
I can't wait for them to slide down the ladder and for that retched hive of scum and villainy to return to their hilarious infighting ways of old.

It used to be my Bigfooty happy place.

Not surprisingly I haven't visited it in a while.

Except that we are supposed to be a top 4 side. If we really are...we shouldn't have lost both games. We should judge our performance harshly because we are a long way from beating top 4 teams at the moment.
It’s also the way we play.
There’s little fluency or structure. It’s Bont carrying the team which is not sustainable. But it’s difficult to read early in the season. Games 5-10 will be a good indication of where we are at as the season settles in.

Nailed it Norm, pure and simple. Anyone bitching why McComb and Hannah played yesterday needs to watch the replay of yesterdays VFL. McNeil hasn't touched for three weeks (longer if you take in the pre-season stuff) and West is just sooking it up atm and yesterday set him back further imo!! He was lucky to touch it half a dozen times in a team that dominated for most of the game. He walks from contest to contest and gives up far too easy....We need a few back from injury before going past McComb/Hannan.
West has been pretty disappointing so far. I thought he was quite good partnering with Weightman in the forward line for a period last year. Then he did the preseason trip to the US with Bont and I expected him to be a regular in our starting line up.

So far hasn’t fired a shot. He might be another one where it doesn’t click for him until he leaves the club.

Just watched the game back. Really, my biggest plus was just seeing Tim English's potential getting closer to being realised. That game was quite extraordinary.

His tackling and ability as an extra midfielder is such a weapon.

Very solid Rucking, 9 tackles (!), 11 contested possessions (20 overall), 6 score involvements, 2 goals, 85% time on ground.

Couldn't ask more from a Ruckman.

Noticed looking through the stats, Bont had 177m gained from his 25 touches. That is remarkably low for his style of play, I’d be surprised if that’s not the lowest total he’s ever had in a game of his career by some way.

Shows a change of role for mine and how much heavy lifting he’s doing inside, on one hand he’s probably the inform midfielder of the comp and has been an absolute behemoth in our first month. On the other are we getting the best use out of him like that? Obviously we want the ball in his hands in space ideally.

In reality we’ve probably replaced Dunks role with Bont, and he’s playing it to a tee. And we’re trying to get more pace on the outside which Bont doesn’t bring, and I’m okay with that. He’s built like a brick shithouse, is 194cm and is absolutely elite inside the contest so maybe it’s a good thing to play him like a Cripps or Oliver for example, even though he’s obviously a much better kick than those too so can lean outside more effectively than those two who can only play one way.

There’s probably some middle ground to find, I think he’s been a bit too handball happy when in space - probably because of his mindset shift to the role he’s currently playing, where when he has the ball I want to see him being the kicker more often than not because he’s so good. But this is a small concern considering how dominate he’s been in the midfield this year, genuinely thrown us on his shoulders and pulled us out of this rut almost single-handedly - even if it has meant he’s lost a touch of class.

Just watched the game back. Really, my biggest plus was just seeing Tim English's potential getting closer to being realised. That game was quite extraordinary.

His tackling and ability as an extra midfielder is such a weapon.

Very solid Rucking, 9 tackles (!), 11 contested possessions (20 overall), 6 score involvements, 2 goals, 85% time on ground.

Couldn't ask more from a Ruckman.

Nankervis is a ruck that would have mauled English in the past as well.

Nankervis is a ruck that would have mauled English in the past as well.

Early on and especially with kickouts, English was running Nankervis back and forth without really screaming out to be a target that wanted the ball kicked to him. You could tell Nank did not want to be trying to follow him, the extra fatigue he would have felt probably did limit his ruck contest influence, even if he got his hand to the ball most of the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fabulous game by big Tim and agree with all the positive comments.
What I have noticed in the past is Tim watches his opposition ruck at boundary throwins.
This was always concerning as it appeared he was lacking confidence and was lacking the feel for where his opponent was.
None of this on the weekend and super game by the young man.

Anyone know if Garnder is available to play this week given Keith's concussion?

He has played the last two weeks in the VFL and isn’t on the injury list, so likely yes. Keath is definitely out so I imagine it’d be between him and O’Brien to replace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back