stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Im assuming these 5 are locks

Jones, JOD, Coff, Ed, Dale

Maybe Im expecting more of Coffield being a top 10 draft pick than he has proven, but presumably people used to think he could play football a few years ago

Personally I dont want to see Keath, Gardner, Daniel or Duryea as locks for the backline. We know what we are getting from these players back there and I cant see any improvement of their various deficiencies as time goes by (Daniel can play of course but he isnt getting any taller)

Does JJ return to his backline position or do we play him on a wing? Geez, our wing options are so mediocre.

From our preferred back 6 last year we keep Jones, Ed & Dale. JOD had pushed out Keath and Gardner by the end of the year so he stays in the back 6, Coffield at 191cms is that inbetween for a medium and a tall defender so he pushes out the third tall that we were playing last year. At the moment Duryea still ends up starting as a small defender but a strong preseason by Cleary will push him out. The final spot in the 6 is for our other flanker so we'll say JJ is starting on the other flank to Dale.

Im assuming these 5 are locks

Jones, JOD, Coff, Ed, Dale

Maybe Im expecting more of Coffield being a top 10 draft pick than he has proven, but presumably people used to think he could play football a few years ago

Personally I dont want to see Keath, Gardner, Daniel or Duryea as locks for the backline. We know what we are getting from these players back there and I cant see any improvement of their various deficiencies as time goes by (Daniel can play of course but he isnt getting any taller)

Does JJ return to his backline position or do we play him on a wing? Geez, our wing options are so mediocre.
Pretty much agree with everything except I would have JJ as a lock (if fit and healthy), I feel him getting injured was almost as impactful as LJ going down. Coff will have to fight it out as the 6th. I'm one of the people who feel we should be playing Darcy back there until his body is ready for the riggers of being a 2nd ruck/forward. It's the quick avenue to get games into him? I guess if Coffield can show he can play tall and small then that clearly opens a spot for him?

I thought the best the backs looked for the second half of the year (or maybe the full season) was that Richmond game where we were forced to play smaller. My preference would be to try and get that sort of setup with Jones and JOD as the two key backs.

I worry that it could be a little vulnerable, especially if Busslinger isn’t ready to take a spot as the third tall and Darcy is being kept forward. Think we’ll still lineup with at least one of Gardner and Keath which I don’t think is optimal.

Dale, Richards, Coffield and Johannisen would be my choice for the other defenders. Hoping we see a lot more of Cleary as well.

FB: Coffield - Jones - Richards
HB: Dale - O'Donnell - JJ
7th: Williams

Backup: Gardner/Keath (KPD), Vandermeer/Daniel (high defender; Daniel primarily plays elsewhere), Cleary/Buss (interceptor)

But the Western Bulldogs coaching staff's version of this is probably three KPDs + Coffield.

Last edited:
Hard to know prior to development during the Off season but my guess for our best back 7 would be;
Jones
JOD
Coffield
Richards
JJ

These are definites then depending on form and match ups and development 2 of these
Buss
Gallagher
Duryea
Darcy
Croft

Would like to see Dale on a wing now

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems to be solid consensus here broadly speaking.

For sure that means there is a classic Bevo curveball coming. Maybe Weightman to a back pocket?

With the inclusion of Harmes, I’m going to assume that Bev will move one of Treloar or Smith to the wing full time as the attacking option with a defensive winger on the other side. This will push Williams back to give us more versatility with our defensive group.

Coffield Jones JJ
Dale JOD Richards
Williams

No genuine lockdown small but JJ’s defensive game has improved considerably these days. He’ll be a balanced offensive/defensive player.

Would like to see Dale on a wing now
My personal view is that we need to give up on this one and accept Dale for what he is - an elite high defender. He operates best behind the ball where he has the ability to cut angles and get up to speed. Didn't really work forward of the ball and when he did it was often when he pushed up from behind the ball. I also worry that the running and defensive work he'd have to do on the wing would hinder his skills.

We aren't exactly replete with high defenders with speed and skill. It feels a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

We got annihilated on ground balls in our D50 last season, I want Daniel back there to address that as he's elite at that.
Also he's just a more effective player there than anywhere else on the ground.

Jones JOD Dale Richards JJ Daniel are the locks for me.

The options for the 7th spot all have different question marks. Duryea (past it?), Coffield (needs to earn the spot IMO), Williams (played his best in defence but a few seasons ago), Keath (pretty cooked), Gardner (limited player but probably the best option for the lanky Hipwood/Cameron types), Cleary (is he ready to make the step up?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personnel won’t change much from 2023, with the exception of Coffield.

The biggest change needs to be elimination of:

1. One-sided kickers playing on after a behind to their non-dominant side
2. Poorly skilled KPD’s playing on to their non-dominant side in the hope they can hit a 50m target for a switch across our half back line.
3. Defending wherever the ball is but not two good kicks behind it. Especially late in quarters.

Personnel won’t change much from 2023, with the exception of Coffield.

The biggest change needs to be elimination of:

1. One-sided kickers playing on after a behind to their non-dominant side
2. Poorly skilled KPD’s playing on to their non-dominant side in the hope they can hit a 50m target for a switch across our half back line.
3. Defending wherever the ball is but not two good kicks behind it. Especially late in quarters.

4. Keath and Gardiner playing. Period.

Imho we play our best football with JJ in the backline.

A lock if fit.
I think even Bevo understands this now. And if he didn’t, JJ’s wife will remind him. For the rest of his career he will be a half back flanker. Hopefully the hammy’s and calf’s hold up. Very big and accurate kick for his size.

We got annihilated on ground balls in our D50 last season, I want Daniel back there to address that as he's elite at that.

The options for the 7th spot all have different question marks. Duryea (past it?), Coffield (needs to earn the spot IMO), Williams (played his best in defence but a few seasons ago), Keath (pretty cooked), Gardner (limited player but probably the best option for the lanky Hipwood/Cameron types), Cleary (is he ready to make the step up?).
I don't disagree on Daniel, but not sure we can carry all 3 of Daniel, JJ and Dale down back, given their lack of defensiveness. 2 at most.

At best, one of them starts on the bench and plays a defensive role for parts of the game.

I would like to see Harmes take Daniel's role from this year.

He seems perfectly suited to being a high half forward who pushes up as a defensive extra at stoppages.

I don't disagree on Daniel, but not sure we can carry all 3 of Daniel, JJ and Dale down back, given their lack of defensiveness. 2 at most.

At best, one of them starts on the bench and plays a defensive role for parts of the game.

I would like to see Harmes take Daniel's role from this year.

He seems perfectly suited to being a high half forward who pushes up as a defensive extra at stoppages.
I don't think JJ and Dale are that bad defensively. Can definitely have all 3 IMO. Especially if the 7th rotation player is someone like Cleary or Williams.

AFL squad:

HB: Richards Naughton Dale
FB: JOD Jones Coffield
Bench: JJ

Tall depth: Croft, Keath, Gardner
Small Depth: Cleary, Lual, VDM (Daniel and Williams can also fill roles down back)

It depends what we do with our set up IMO - if we insist on such a high press I don’t think Daniel can play there, too slow and small and will get caught out way too badly over the back. If we go a little bit more traditional and back our talls down back to hold position and win the aerial contest then I agree Daniel could find his best mopping up at ground level again.

I don't think JJ and Dale are that bad defensively. Can definitely have all 3 IMO. Especially if the 7th rotation player is someone like Cleary or Williams.
I agree on this JJ and Dale are fine for offensive defenders, Dale actually has a 1v1 loss % of 21% which is great. They can both hold their own in a contest when needed - obviously we prefer they don’t get isolated but it is what it is.

Richards elite at 11% too

We were clearly at our best this year when all of Dale, Richards & JJ were firing. All up & going and you can’t really shut that down.

Coffield for mine just frees Richards up a little bit more, doesn’t excel at anything but will add an option for defensive role on both talls & smalls where required, a bit of intercept marking and a little bit more drive out of defence.

With those 4 smalls there’s enough there to cover the opposition smalls - it takes a team effort and system to stop small forwards, I don’t think we need a lockdown player so to speak. The likes of Red, JJ & Coff can rotate through the smalls whilst we try to free Dale up as much as possible as the go to distributor.

Then I think there’s room for 3 talls but only certain combinations. Ie Jones & JOD the main two, probably play round 1. Keath & Gardner only play if one of those two miss. NEVER in combination with the other two.

The 3rd tall can only be Darcy, Buss (or maybe Buku but unlikely so will leave him out) who both offer a genuine intercepting aerial presence and genuinely very good footskills. I’m starting with Darcy round 1.

If neither of those 2 aren’t ready/fit then shuffle it around - Coffield into 3rd tall, Red into 4th and probably having to focus more on an aerial role than a high running role, and we replace Red with an extra runner ie Cleary, Gallagher, Daniel etc

So my two options being:

Coffield Jones Darcy
Richards JOD Dale
JJ

Or

Coffield Jones Richards
Dale JOD JJ
Cleary

My personal view is that we need to give up on this one and accept Dale for what he is - an elite high defender. He operates best behind the ball where he has the ability to cut angles and get up to speed. Didn't really work forward of the ball and when he did it was often when he pushed up from behind the ball. I also worry that the running and defensive work he'd have to do on the wing would hinder his skills.

We aren't exactly replete with high defenders with speed and skill. It feels a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Hes played a fair bit of footy since he was last played on a wing though, and lets face it, the bar isnt high for us ATM

Don't see how a guy who has been injured for most of the last two years and couldn't get a game at another club simply walks into the starting line-up.

B: Richards Jones Keath
HB: JJ JOD Dale
Int: Daniel
Sub: Cleary

Also you'd have to think that Khamis is going to be tried down back as there is simply no spot in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back