RIP Shane Tuck

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sitting here very quiet, i'm floored, gutted. But im not actually here. Im deep inside my own memories watching Tucky crash packs, tackle and chase and run his guts out. I'm watching him kick goals like a dead eye dick and i'm back cheering for him.
I hope he knew how much he was loved by the tiger faithful, because he really was loved.
I felt very privileged that he played for us. One of a kind. He'll be sorely missed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely shattered by this news, still can't really process the shock hours after first hearing.

As the older members will know, he was my favourite player and right now I'm taking a little bit of comfort out of the fact I got to tell him what a great player and bloke I thought he was and have a good yarn several times.

He really epitomised everything I respect and cherish in a footballer and a person. Didn't have a selfish bone in his body, always humble, toughest Tiger we've seen this century, never dropped his head or gave up, always lifted his mates up and gave everything he had.

All those things made him a genuinely great footballer and the ratings of his games over the best part of a decade confirm that fact.

A lot of people remember the courage he showed against Port that day with his shoulder wrecked, less remembered is that part of the reason he got a knock on his ball use was that he spent the best part of two seasons kicking almost exclusively with his left foot because he was too sore to be able to use his right. Still played 22 games both those seasons and it was a testament to the man that only those who watched him really closely or knew the situation even noticed he was playing hurt game after game and kicking with his non-preferred.

In his first full season his numbers were elite, in his last full season they were even better - 576 disposals, 124 tackles, 123 clearances. If he wasn't beating the best in the game to the ball he was stopping them using it.

Champion player and an even better bloke.

Just absolutely gutted that he isn't around to be part of the Tiger family in person anymore, but we'll always remember you Tucky old mate. :heart:

Pretty devastating to wake up to this tragic news.

Grew up in Perth always living in hope that we’d eventually get it right - could never afford to get over to Melbourne but made sure I watched ever game on TV right to the end (including that game against Geelong in 2007). First game at the G was the centenary game in 08 - we all know the game didn’t go our way but I was grateful we had a bloke in the middle trying his guts out at every stoppage to win the ball - he was no nonsense - see ball-get ball. If the opposition had the ball, he just tackled - even with a broken shoulder against port in 2010, he just tackled.

He wasn’t the most talented, blokes like him showed us effort. I don’t know what the club’s internal metrics are of measuring a ‘Richmond man’ but Tucky certainly played like one.

Rest In Peace Shane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back